FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28 12 9:23 am    Post subject: The new guy Reply with quote

Okay to start with I live in northern Arkansas and I'm new to the site.
I came here seeking advice from all of the experienced people on the site.
I've been making my own sausage and smoking on a cheep gas smoker for some time now and I'm wanting to take a big step up.
I hope I'm not overly ambitious... but I would like to build my own smoker.
I have looked all over this site and have been unable to find a smoker exactly like I want to build. I'm not even sure that it is feasible.
So a little guidance and advice would be truly appreciated. I hope that I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but... What I would like to be able to do is build a vertical smoker that I can cook a small hog of 80-120lbs., Hang and smoke sausage in, or cook brisket, pork roast and such. The catch is I would like the smoker to be a stick burnner. But all the vertical smokers I have seen are gas or electric.
I was thinking with an offset firebox and adjustable opening to the smoke chamber I would be able to regulate the temperature well enough to make really good Q.
Is this feasible or foolish?
I look forward to any advice you can give me. Thank you so much in advance.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28 12 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring bbq tenderfoot, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile
The good news is your not foolish as your idea has been done before. What type of cooking chamber do you have in mind? Are you planning on a tank, pipe, or home built square shape made of wood?

Hybrid Cooker
KP Duty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28 12 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring. As for info, ask and you will recieve. Good luck on your build and Happy Cooking!
40Gal Hor. cooker w/ rotisserie
ECB
6' In yard rotisserie
Gasser ( for burn bans)
35Gal. Chexmix smoker, 55G. this year
50 year old cast iron kettle, wants TLC
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm thinking on making a rectangular chamber so I can hang more sausage and not have to smoke 12 to 15 small batches, I'm also thinking of mounting it to a trailer I have. It's a 5x8 single axel trailer that's too small for much else.
My wife and I are also thinking of trying our hand at some of the competitions, just for fun and somthing to do.
That's why I'm here, to try to learn all I can, so I don't look like a total bonehead when I show up for my first comp.
I've been smoking things for a while and get a lot of people telling me that I should enter the contests but, I'm not kidding myself I'm sure I'm not on a level with these competetive cooks. Most of all I think it would be fun to meet new people and it would give my wife and I somthing fun we could do together when I come in from offshore.
italian skewer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring bbq tenderfoot.
Weber 22.5" Silver
Weber Smokey Joe

If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring bbq tenderfoot.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Swamp Mama's
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring tenderfoot. I too am from NW Arkansas.....Alma.
Masterbuilt 40
Masterbuilt 30
Weber 22.5 Gold
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say thanks for making me feel welcome.
I'm in Henderson AR. SWAMP MAMA right next to Mountain Home.
Do any of you know where I could look at plans for the type of smoker I discribe? or someone who could help me? I'm only in the planning phase and I'm definiately not rich so, none of this will happen very fast. I will also be learning to weld on this project. LOL
Right now I can melt metal to metal but I wouldn't call it welding.
So, as I said before... I could use all the help I can get.
I think this smoked meat thing is a sickness... yet I desire no cure.
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, do I need to start a new thred? Or is it ok to stay on this one?
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot wrote:
Also, do I need to start a new thred? Or is it ok to stay on this one?

Welcome to the ring, tenderfoot.

I would suggest posting your questions in the cooker section. Lots of knowledgeable people there. Do NOT be intimidated by the "competetive" cooks, you can make Q just as good. I will try to find you some links to the type of build you're planning.

BTW, IMHO "Tenderfoot's BBQ" would make a great name for your team. Just sayin'.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29 12 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll probably do that. My wife and I are still trying to come up with a name, but I never thought of using my profile name but I will run it by her.
by the way... thank you for any info you can give.
I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject of vertical versus offset and it seems to be a very sensitive subject. It goes from constructive conversation to a pissing contest in nothing flat. I understand just like everything else there are pros. and cons. But I would like to read a debate about it without alll the bickering.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbq tenderfoot wrote:
I understand just like everything else there are pros. and cons. But I would like to read a debate about it without alll the bickering.

If you want to read the pro's of a type of cooker, find yourself a site that likes that style of cooker... unfortunately that will only give you the pro's of that style of cooker, you will still have to sift out some cons and arguments.

These and some other BBQ sites are open forums full of type A personalities, there's not a thread on here that doesn't have the pro's the con's and the arguments, if you find one today, the same thread tomorrow may look like it was hit by a tornado... the sites that don't alllow the ebb and flow are ruled with an iron fist, and there's no velvet glove to hide that iron fist!

If that is the type of site you are looking for, this is possibly not the site for you, but I'm sure we can come up with a few suggestions among ourselves, but their might be an argument or two about which ones are on or off the list! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
bbq tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30 12 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Don't mind a bit if someone has an opinion. Lol
I guess I get set on things as well, and I have found some very good discussions on this site. I also agree that ruling with an iron fist is not the best way to do things. And if you ask my wife she would definitely say I am a type A personality. So I think I'll be sticking around the site for a while. The more I search this site the more I like it.
My comment was only meant to say, that sometimes a good thread goes astray just when it is getting good, do to type A personalities. Trust me I can cope! I'm probably just as guilty as they are at times.
are there any good sites that will break down some of the more popular vertical smokers and the way they are built? I'm just curious how the vertical smokers with the firebox beneath them maintain a nice steady temperature. With my little gas smoker it's fairly simple. But with a stick burner what is the best way to keep a steady temperature and not have to tend the fire every few minutes. I would really like to see how some of the very popular vertical smokers are designed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: