FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Build - More Welding (updated 8/23/2012 with pics)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06 12 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! That should shorten the build time.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08 12 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measured out and cut the box for the fire box. Yes, I used a guide for the Plasma as I am a newbie at this. However, I do like the end results Wink

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08 12 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ...all is looking good, nice score on the box. Very Happy I'm sure you would pick up on it when adding the side or have checked it already but just in case...recheck square on that cube before going full tilt with the build out. Some things are tossed for a reason. An out of square FB or any cube for that matter, especially when assumed all is good, will throw you some headaches down the road. Mad
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08 12 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldwin bbq looking great so far...as for the straight edge use them all the time Embarassed but less work fixing a slip of the hand Wink looking forward to more updates.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08 12 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been good with replies to comments so far and am going to try and fix that going forward.

NAVET: - Thank You. Yes, it will shorten the build time a bit but more importantly (to me) it has cut the expense down a bit as well.

Wreckless: - Thank You. I checked all sides with a carpenters square and all looked good. The box was taller at some point and was cut down for transport (scrap). This box came out of an old pallet/wooden box factory and is about 40 years old. After splitting the box, the open corner did spring in about 3/4 of an inch but that should be relatively easy to spread back out prior to putting another piece on it Wink

Maniac: - Thanks, Lol, Cutting is the easy part. What is going to test my abilities and patience is when I start putting things back together and the rest of the build. The last time I did any form of welding was in High School 31 years ago. I did pretty good then though so hopefully it is like riding a bike.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09 12 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, awesome score on the firebox that will save some time. Very Happy
Your cut looks great nothing wrong with using tools that make the job easier. Wink I prefer my O/A rig but one of these days I will own a plasma. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12 12 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - Thank you Kevin, I need all the help I can get. I found out that Welding is not like riding a bike and that I have to learn all over again. I guess the little bit of welding I learned in High School was not enough to stick in my brain through all of the partying I did Wink

Have an Update on the cooker as well. I scavenged the end plate off of the scrap piece I cut off of the original box and used that for the bottom of the fire box. This is where I realized that I have forgoten everything I ever knew about welding.

I tried doing a root weld using E6011 - 3/32' @ 60 amps and it kept blowing through in spots. If I turned the amps down to 55 amps the rod kept sticking. So, I ended up doing the best I could at 60 amps then I did a couple more beads using 6011 1/8" @ 100 amps. Couldn't use 7018's due to the excessive rust on the plate and it would have been a heck of a job cleaning it all off.

Anyways, I got the job done but it is not the prettiest in the world Wink

Here are some pics of the Firebox setting in place on the cooker. It is not welded in yet as I have a little bit of grinding to do on the tank yet so it sits in there nice.

Mark

GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12 12 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, Your cooker is coming along nicely. Very Happy

Don't worry about the welds not being the prettiest, a little grind and a little paint, makes a welder, what he aint. Wink

Looking forward to updates.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12 12 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, very nice fit up on your firebox. Very Happy
On 6011's you need a whipping motion back and forth to help solidify your puddle, if you try to drag the rod you will blow your key hole wide open. If your running an AC/DC machine try 6010's they freeze a lot faster than the 6011 does.
Also when you run the 6011 as a root come back in with a wire wheel and clean the flux then knock down your highs with a grinder and proceed with your 7018's. You may get some dig on the edges of your weld due to the outer rust but it is a cooker and your finished weld will look a lot better.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 12 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF - Thank You, I am trying lol, I used to be able to do a pretty good job with the welding, I guess I need a few more pieces of scrap welded together for practice Wink

Kevin - Thank you for the advice. I will use it on the rest of the welding. Fortunately for me, the plate I welded on is at the bottom of the fire box and appearances are not a major concern. I did fix the burn outs and then did a double pass over top of the root (after wire cupping and grinding highlights) so it looks passable. I will say Lesson learned though and will go through and remove as much of the rust as I can from the areas to be welded for future welds.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 12 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure Baldwin BBQ, clean the area you are going to weld, the cleaner the better always but you don't have to go nuts welding with the stick. Pretty sure Kevin nailed your blow through problem with the whip motion advice and the 7018 will sure pretty things up. Be sure and use an A/C designated 7018 rod if you aren't running DC, a regular 7018 on an A/C machine comes out caca Cool It's turning out nicely, keep after it, looking forward to the finish line ( smoked food) Very Happy
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 12 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless - I did clean up quite a bit of the rust before welding, just not all of it Wink. The machine I am using is DC only and is the same brand that Jody Collier from WeldingTipsandTricks uses in a lot of his videos. Made by Everlast http://www.everlastgenerators.com/PowerUltra--205-313-pd.html Jody uses the PowerPro256

Mark

Corrected the name per Kevin

Last edited by Baldwin BBQ on Mon Aug 13 12 9:11 am; edited 2 times in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 12 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Jody Collier is welding tips and tricks.com. Kevin has another site. Jody does use the Everlast.

Hybrid Cooker
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13 12 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, Thanks for the name correction.
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laid out and cut out the firebox opening to the cooking chamber. Did another test fit of the firebox to the tank and noticed I have a little bit more grinding to do to get the firebox to sit nice and snug.

Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 12 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more updated pics of the build. Things are going very slow atm as I found out a week ago that I will be out of a job on the 10th of September Sad. That being said, after I finish getting the RF plates in, I will probably be putting this away in the Garage until I can get another Job. As you can see, my welding skills are getting a little bit better Wink

Welding out the Fire Box:

Welding out the Grease Trough and Wash out drain. I have the pipe for the grease Drain, Unfortunately, my variable speed drill took a crap while doing the wash out hole. May try and punch out the grease drain hole with the Plasma later.:

Got One of the RF plates in place and mostly welded.

Last edited by Baldwin BBQ on Sat Aug 25 12 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 12 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, very nice work on your cooker. Very Happy I am sorry to here about the job situation Good Luck with your search, I hope it is a short one.
Before you add plate #2 you may want to add a secondary drain in the bottom to allow you to clean out the R/F tunnel.
I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Baldwin BBQ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - Thank You, The Drain that is there now is the washout drain. I still need to add the grease drain.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 12 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ wrote:
Kevin - Thank You, The Drain that is there now is the washout drain. I still need to add the grease drain.

Good deal Brother. Very Happy Keep up the fine work she is looking sharp. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26 12 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin BBQ, I havent been up to date on your build in a while and Kevin told me the other day that you were really making some nice progress, man are you ever Very Happy Your build is coming along nice bro, everything is taking nice shape. Its a smart idea to use the guide on the plasma cutter, I cut probably 90% of my stuff free hand, but I wont lie, if that other 10% calls for a nice straight perfect cut, the guides come out of the tool box and are used. No shame in wanting it right Cool I also think that your welds are looking pretty darned good for no more than you have welded. The way I look at it is this, its a cooker, its not structural and its not rocket science, its a cooker! You can sit back and tell everyone who makes a comment about a weld that doesnt look right or whatever that it was your first time welding a project like this and although some welds dont look the greatest, they are yours and you are damn proud of everyone of them...but thats just me on my soapbox Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the job situation, I hope you find something soon, and just remember that old saying...when one door closes, another one opens Very Happy

Keep up the awesome work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: