FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickling peppers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08 12 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you all do newbies, oldies and inbetweenies, when you have a recipe, that does not call for canning?

Do you follow the recipe, and if successful for years, stop using the recipe because you read another recipe?

Does anyone now cook pork to less than 165°?

It used to not be recommended by the FDA because of the chances of Trichinosis in pork, really nasty if you get it can cause blindness and all sorts of icky things, the temperature for chicken being cooked has dropped 5° as well in the last two years, but I'll bet there are lots of people that still wait for 165° before taking the chicken off the grill.

k.a.m. uses a recipe that does not include processing in a water bath, he clearly stated that he's using cleaned jars, and 5% vinegar, (which would make it a pretty acidic mix), what he failed to say is that he hot fills to the top of the neck, and there is almost no air head, and there is boiling vinegar overflowing as he lids them.

If you read the recipe that Hell Fire Grill posted http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54429 there is no mention in the initial post of water bath treatment.

BigOrson says something similar about his recipe. Toga says nothing about canning when he processes eggs and peppers, BluDawg edited his post and added the canning section.

k.a.m tells it how he does it, and is the only one that you want to chew on... some people need to acknowledge the hypocrisy on this thread.

1buckie's quoted recipe http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1240/Apricot-Jalapeno-Jelly77563.shtml does not have water bath preparation as part of the recipe... if you actually read the quoted recipe the water bathing is added by the author... almost as a foot note. You can see it is an addendum because she says, "Pour into sterilized jars, seal, and cool. (I processed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.)"! She does not include the processing in the recipe, but as a personal thing that she does.

After k.a.m. tells how he does it you then have BUGSnBBQ agreeing with a KISS system, again no mention of a water bath.

And all this before anyone even mentions the idea of further processing the pickled peppers.

So to those that need to call out someone who repeatedly stated, "This is how I do it" not "This is how it should be done", get a grip, the Darwin award is much more for the second and not the first Telking.

To those that are not actually able to read what was said, or who choose to read it and then ignore what was repeatedly said, get a grip.

For those recipes THAT DO NOT SAY, "then process in a water bath", or "then process in a pressure cooker", because of a high acid level, that's following the recipe.

For those that don't follow the recipe, you will be in trouble and risking your and other peoples lives because you are not following the recipe!

For those that follow an old or, (possibly outdated), recipe, and then change it by adding other things, Garlic and other vegetables, without understanding the dangers that NOT FOLLOWING the recipe can bring, have no defense to then claim they followed the recipe!

So either get a grip or get your facts straight and don't attack all those bad people that are following recipes, that don't include canning instructions! Because that's just silly!

I still work here!
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08 12 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

""Pour into sterilized jars, seal, and cool. (I processed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.)"!
She does not include the processing in the recipe, but as a personal thing that she does."

I almost took the time to call attention to that....
I thought everybody boiled out their bottles, so assuming that might not be quite the healthiest, IF people are unaware
of how to handle the stuff....

My great aunt Toots used fill'n'pop method for many decades & never harmed anyone, she lived to 104...
Maybe high enough acidic content, so she was pickled...
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09 12 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM2C Teleking, if your trying to point out potential food safety issues that's great.....however........
If you feel the need to be nasty and miserable commenting on something, maybe you shouldn't.
Perhaps you should stick to "safe canning" rather than attacking helpful members for stating "how they do something" Wink
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres how I see it from experience not from a government agency telling me thats how it has to be done or you'll die, like they have with so many food products and caused a huge part of our culinary tradition/heritage to be lost in time and never return. For example the old fashioned ways of curing meat products and preserving other food products that our grandfolks used to talk about and practice when they were younger, smoked meat that was preserved in a smokehouse with salt and smoke alone. Thats the kind of food that sustained the people that we all came from. It was real food that wasent chemically preserved and processed til it dident have much, if any, food value left in it like modern food.

The only reason I water bath canned my pickled peppers was because thats how I figured I could get the longest shelf life. In my opinion water bath canning only does two things, it cooks the food and it heats the contents of the jar to a point that assures enough vaccume and heat to properly contract and seal the lid on modern canning equipment. The contents of the jar never boil, like they do with a pressure canner, in a water bath. It would take more than 15-20 minutes for that to happen. Its the acid level of the jars contents that does most of the work killing the bacteria not the heat. Prove me wrong if you can and site your sources if you want to bellyache about it, youll need more than a thread from gardenweb.com too.

My thought on kam's technique is that since the foods not cooked like it would be if it were canned its probably got a better texture and more like a pepper right off the plant. Which is higher quality product if you ask me. Lets just hope he remembered to wash the malathion off.

I dont know how any bacteria could live through being drowned in damn near boiling brine and kept there for a few months, and I'll bet that most people out there had a relative somewhere in their family tree that done it the same way and lived long enough, at least, to reproduce. I know its possible but you'd have to be pretty sloppy and careless during the process to have it go wrong. IMO

Them big ol gallon jars with pickled sausage or eggs you see at the pub Im sure were water bath or even pressure canned. But they somehow sit there on the shelf after they've been opened and the only time they make anyone sick is when they eat to many.

I think vinegar is capable of a special magic that the knowledge of has been lost in time.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
I think vinegar is capable of a special magic that the knowledge of has been lost in time.

Hey ...... you will get no argument from me on this one. Very Happy Wink

I don't do any water bath for my pickled "stuff", and I'm still typing ...
Even after eating pickled eggs or sausage that I made after a year. Smile

I know that food safety is very important,
but please refer to the above quote. Thank you. Have a nice day. Cool

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:

So either get a grip or get your facts straight and don't attack all those bad people that are following recipes, that don't include canning instructions! Because that's just silly!

Interesting fact is that all current recipies found in the ball blue book and at university co-ops require processing, refrigeration, or freezing.

Cheers

The Bride of Franken Smoker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for proving my point and for the additional emphasis.

The blue book is for recipes that include, water bath processing and pressure cooking, please show me a recipe in the blue book that does not include one or the other?

Now pull out any other cook book, turn to any random recipe, and tell us now many times it says to process in a water bath or pressure cooker.

Please go do it now!

Then tell us what book what page and what they said to do.

IF THE RECIPE DOES NOT INCLUDE WATER BATH OR PRESSURE COOKING, GUESS WHAT THEN? THAT RECIPE PROBABLY DOES NOT NEED IT!

There are pickled pepper recipes that do include water bath or other canning recipes, and it you are following that recipe for goodness sake use the water bath or canning techniques and work with that recipe... If you are following a recipe that does not have canning in the instructions, (like baking a cake), then for goodness sake don't use a water bath!

I still work here!
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

Interesting fact is that all current recipies found in the ball blue book and at university co-ops require processing, refrigeration, or freezing.

Cheers

That is a very broad statement. I don't think you can back it up. ALL???
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10 12 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manana wrote:
Teleking wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

Cheers

That is a very broad statement. I don't think you can back it up. ALL???

The statement is certainly true for the Blue Book, as the Blue book only has recipes that includes water bathing and pressure cooking!

I still work here!
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect that from a canning book. But it is a very broad statement to say that ALL recipes from a university co-op would.

However I'm nitpicking. My real problem with teleking is that he disagrees with KAM which is just fine but why did he need to add "stick to welding" Disagreeing is fine. Being a d*ck about it, is another thing all together.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to add more fuel to the fire, however -

I personally feel many of the techniques in the 'Blue Book' (and many other older cookbooks) are outdated. These recipes were written at the time (1950's?) when the thinking was 'cook the chit out of it, or you'll go blind/get cancer/lose a leg/grow 7 fingers'.

I beleive the 'Blue Book' also states to dilute your vinegar to a 2%-3% solution before you process. I always use straight vinegar (5%), at or near boiling, just like k.a.m does. I have canned hundreds and quite possibly over a thousand jars of all kinds of stuff over the last 20+ years. I have NEVER gotten sick, or made anybody sick. I have eaten jars of stuff that were 4-5 years old. I'm still alive Laughing

I DO agree that low acid stuff needs to be processed. I just made 6 pints of wet Jerk seasoning that I'm getting ready to pressure can.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boil my jars and remove....add washed split peppers....bring my bring mixture to a boil using Pickling vinegar(7% acidity)something they never had when the blue book was written.Pour into my sterilized jars...leave a little head room and wipe the brim of the jar to make sure its clean and lid.Lids pop....store in a cool dark place....never ever had one go bad and have eaten from jars over a year old.

Just my method...and has served me well.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew vinegar had percentages. Good thing I don't pickle. Laughing
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manana wrote:

Regular white has 5% acidity and Pickling has 7% acidity.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Manana wrote:

Regular white has 5% acidity and Pickling has 7% acidity.

To buy 'pickling vinegar' (7%) around here is twice as expensive as 5%.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11 12 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manana wrote:

Some pickling vinegar (2 brands).

Cleaning vinegar.

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sterilized my jar and lid, dropped in the salt, a little sugar, some peppercorns and 2 cloves of garlic (split), and the peppers and carrot slices.

Topped the jar off with the boiling vinegar (regular white vinegar) and topped and let it cool.

Put it in the fridge and was planning on leaving it there unopened for a few months. Will leaving it in the fridge slow the brine from working?

I wanted to use some red, some green and some in-between, so I had to do it now!
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

SVonhof wrote:
Will leaving it in the fridge slow the brine from working?

I don't think so.
However, leaving it out of the fridge before opening is not a problem, IMO.
I leave my pickled eggs out of the fridge until I crack it open.
Same goes for other pickled stuff I do.
Put them in a cool, dark place of the house - maybe the basement floor.

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, those peppers look mighty tasty. Very Happy Would you like to join the closet picklers club?

Hybrid Cooker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14 12 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put leftover jalapenos in a jar filled with acv and some spices for a couple weeks and then eat - nothing more or less..have also done the same with hard boiled eggs, even sometimes using the brine from a jar of pickles, maybe adding some cayanne for heat on veggies......not long term shelf like pickling, just keeping from tossing the veggies -I have some that have been in fridge for 4 weeks now - gonna go eat a few, if I dont reply in the next week, its safe to assume it killed me or something - that or i'm just out busy sellin Q!! Wink Very Happy
Closet Picklers club??!! Do I qualify if I survive????
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: