FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firebox paint - Powder Coating?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren8167

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 3:32 am    Post subject: Firebox paint - Powder Coating? Reply with quote

Has anyone used powder coating on their firebox? Seems that it is rated up to 450 Deg so I don't know how long it will last. Also what paint have you guys found to last the longest? Anyone try any other colors besides black? Please feel free to post pics.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

450 is about 1/2 the temperature that the average firebox gets up to, so I doubt that it will hold up long.

My understanding is that it is good up to the temperature that they cure it at, so if you could get them to up the temperature they bake it at, you my get a longer lasting paint.

You could always go with a double walled firebox with insulation in between, so that the inside may be too hot, but the outside should stay below 450.

You can also use engine paint, that comes with a good till 1200° so it says on the can, and that stuff does come in different colors, you will want to prime it all first though and take some time smoothing things out before you start.

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren8167, do you plan on sand blasting the cooker before top coating?

Hybrid Cooker
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my cookers I used High Temp Powder coating. Its rated to 1200 deg. Its not as cheap as normal powder coating but it works well.
Disco
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much more expensive was it Awning Guy?

I still work here!
Darren8167

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Darren8167, do you plan on sand blasting the cooker before top coating?

Yes it will be sand blasted.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren8167, I am glad your going the clean metal route. I would take Awning Guy's take on this because the regular coating at 450° is going to be disappointing when it fails.

Hybrid Cooker
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend header paint. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22 12 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
How much more expensive was it Awning Guy?

The guy that does my P.C. said that its about 20% higher in price then standard. At lest here in So. Cal
I will say that, Its been 4 yrs and my fire box is just starting to show rust. I know we don't have the "rust" issue like other parts of the country but I'm happy with the results.
Disco
hmbrewr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23 12 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Powder coater told me that unless he had a lot more Hi temp jobs to do, that my tank would have to be done all by itself which really runs the price up. 80 gal tank= $350 which is about 3x more than regular price. Hi temp paint is a heck of a lot cheaper IMO
Hot Grill on Grill Action

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24 12 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to get the pit i just finished hi temp powder coated very soon. I have worked with my powdercoater before and he has shown me the finished product which is very impressive looking. He has gloss black, crackle finish black (like on a harley engine) and a bronze color. Not sure how it will hold up, BUT HERE IS MY POINT. If you like your pits to look nice, do it right the first time. Our Lil' Chub has been painted several times over and at this point we are losing money every time we do it. We used hi-temp spray paint on the firebox and regular everywhere else. We should have just paid to do it right from the get go but I was talked out of it. What we put these coatings through is no walk in the park, hi heat, grease, hot coals etc. Also, once the spray paint fails, and it's time to re-paint having to surface prep the whole thing gets old quickly, especially because the greasy areas take extra steps.
Weber WSMs, Kettles & Gasser
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24 12 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Grill on Grill Action wrote:
I am going to get the pit i just finished hi temp powder coated very soon. I have worked with my powdercoater before and he has shown me the finished product which is very impressive looking. He has gloss black, crackle finish black (like on a harley engine) and a bronze color. Not sure how it will hold up, BUT HERE IS MY POINT. If you like your pits to look nice, do it right the first time. Our Lil' Chub has been painted several times over and at this point we are losing money every time we do it. We used hi-temp spray paint on the firebox and regular everywhere else. We should have just paid to do it right from the get go but I was talked out of it. What we put these coatings through is no walk in the park, hi heat, grease, hot coals etc. Also, once the spray paint fails, and it's time to re-paint having to surface prep the whole thing gets old quickly, especially because the greasy areas take extra steps.

If done properly a paint job will last for years. Some of my builds are going on 5yrs. with very little wear to the firebox or cooking chamber. It is all in how you prepare the cooker for paint, what material is used and most importantly who is applying it. Powder coats fail as well awning guy got 4yrs out of his that is a good run but it is showing wear. I live on the gulf coast and believe me hot dipped galvanized metal will rust if given the chance. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: