FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


"can I get 20 pounds of pulled Pork to go?"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19 12 12:04 am    Post subject: "can I get 20 pounds of pulled Pork to go?" Reply with quote

So I say;
"Sure, what date would you like this for?"
Customers says; "well, right now"

Do you guys get requests like this? Or am I just special?
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ckone
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 2451
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19 12 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get groups of 20 to 30 that show up with out reservations prime time on Fridays and Saturdays and expect to get a table right away.
_________________
22.5 Weber Kettle
OK Joe
The Bubba Keg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul L.
Newbie


Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 29
Location: STL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19 12 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of those early in the day, last New Year's Eve. Said he was having a big party and had been planning to serve our food for months! Not sure why he didn't let me know that sooner!
Steered him towards our pulled chicken and ribs, had him come back in a few hours and started cooking more. That time it worked out, but most of the time I just pretend to be sympathetic to their problem and ask them to call ahead next time.
_________________
Changing lives, one sandwich at a time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get the guy set-up and down the road with 15 of those 20 pounds he wanted, I could have done it all, but I needed to hold 10-12 pounds back to finish the day with walk-ins, and to cover my customers who pre-ordered their large carry-outs for the early evening.

If I absolutely need to, I can have ribs ready in less than 2 hours, and that has kept some people happy. It is common at my place for people to order up to a dozen racks or more with no warning. The regulars are learning to call ahead so we can guarantee their orders will be available. Fridays are my huge rib days with 35-40 slabs leaving in a few short hours during late afternoon or the early evening

I am very concerned that we are maxed out with cooking capacity and we are not even into our busy season yet, So another Oyler on premises is a possibility if one presents itself at a decent cost.
I either do that, or I add more hot-holding capabilities, I would rather have another pit burning 24/7 so I could run different temps/times for different products.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ckone
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 2451
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19 12 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
, So another Oyler on premises is a possibility if one presents itself at a decent cost.
I either do that, or I add more hot-holding capabilities, I would rather have another pit burning 24/7 so I could run different temps/times for different products.


I thought you had a second one sitting around already waiting for this......?
_________________
22.5 Weber Kettle
OK Joe
The Bubba Keg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19 12 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckone wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
, So another Oyler on premises is a possibility if one presents itself at a decent cost.
I either do that, or I add more hot-holding capabilities, I would rather have another pit burning 24/7 so I could run different temps/times for different products.


I thought you had a second one sitting around already waiting for this......?


It went to a great place 4.5 hours north of me almost a year ago, and it is being treated very well by its new owner with him stuffing it full of meat daily.
At that time, I didn't think I would ever see the volume we're seeing.
I wouldn't mind being one of those places that closes when they are out of meat, but the lure of more sales has me thinking both ways. Maybe I'll get lucky and find an Oyler 1300 for the right price.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smoke Point
Newbie


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 45
Location: Stevens Point, WI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it head to Canada?

I'm heading up to Houghton MI and then up to Copper Harbor this fall and that's only 3.5 hours north. If it did head up to the northern UP, I'd love to know of another place to try some BBQ.

We plan to stop at your place on the way up to pick up lunch and some bacon for breakfast the next morning. How early will you be open on a Tuesday morning at the end of August?

Ben
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke Point wrote:
Did it head to Canada?

I'm heading up to Houghton MI and then up to Copper Harbor this fall and that's only 3.5 hours north. If it did head up to the northern UP, I'd love to know of another place to try some BBQ.

We plan to stop at your place on the way up to pick up lunch and some bacon for breakfast the next morning. How early will you be open on a Tuesday morning at the end of August?

Ben


Dude, you're right there! It is in Eagle River MI, at a great place named "The Fitz"

We are closed on Tuesdays, otherwise you're good any other day of the week.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Location: Champlin, MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry we get crazy requests constantly. 20 pounds of bacon they want sliced in the middle of Saturdays dinner is always a peach. I wish I could make everyone happy happy but it's just not possible. I think we did 18 grad parties last weekend plus our busiest weekend ever in the raunt. We sold out of ribs by no later than 7 every day going through 250 racks, 800 pounds of butt and 400 pounds of chix, 560 pounds brisket, 40 gallons of sauce, 400 sandwich rolls and 3000 dinner rolls. I don't have enough storage and cooler space for the weekends. The HD showed up Friday for inspection as we packed the place for our busiest weekend of the year, perfect timing! We passed with minor issues. The biggest was the fact that the cooler was so packed it didn't have enough air flow and we were in and out so much it was bordering on 40F Crazy times for sure. If I had 4 more hours of day light and 50% more cooler, I think I could have kept up. We also started using our new POS that was less than perfect and our new serving line. Talk about STRESS!!!! Can't wait for July, then we can start working on the food truck and organizing the return of the Local Rib Fest for 2013.
_________________
The lessons are in the customer's criticism. They aren't always right. The rewards are their satisfaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
smokelahoma
BBQ Fan


Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 314

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23 12 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic sorry to hijack but you sell bacon at your restaurant?

do you sell it fully cooked?

thanks
_________________
The Sultan of Smoke!
www.smoklahoma.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Location: Champlin, MN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23 12 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dry cure it for 10 days and hot smoke to 185 cool and thick slice like brisket and grill to order.
_________________
The lessons are in the customer's criticism. They aren't always right. The rewards are their satisfaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rubbbq
BBQ Fan


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 174
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30 12 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I can attest, his bacon is FANTASTIC!
_________________
Love what I'm doing, doing what I love
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01 12 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
Harry we get crazy requests constantly. 20 pounds of bacon they want sliced in the middle of Saturdays dinner is always a peach. I wish I could make everyone happy happy but it's just not possible. I think we did 18 grad parties last weekend plus our busiest weekend ever in the raunt. We sold out of ribs by no later than 7 every day going through 250 racks, 800 pounds of butt and 400 pounds of chix, 560 pounds brisket, 40 gallons of sauce, 400 sandwich rolls and 3000 dinner rolls. I don't have enough storage and cooler space for the weekends. The HD showed up Friday for inspection as we packed the place for our busiest weekend of the year, perfect timing! We passed with minor issues. The biggest was the fact that the cooler was so packed it didn't have enough air flow and we were in and out so much it was bordering on 40F Crazy times for sure. If I had 4 more hours of day light and 50% more cooler, I think I could have kept up. We also started using our new POS that was less than perfect and our new serving line. Talk about STRESS!!!! Can't wait for July, then we can start working on the food truck and organizing the return of the Local Rib Fest for 2013.



So, now that you've had a year since guy aired your place on DD&D are you seeing at as a blessing or a curse?

We got our butts kicked yesterday, I had every bit of cooking and holding room stuffed to the gills yesterday, and we were running out of stuff by 7:00 P.M.
As much as I would love to be featured by Guy, I think it would end us as a business. It would be great for winter, but the increase in summer business would kill us.

My person answering the phone here yesterday had no concept of the amounts of food she was promising people on call ins, and in a short 15 minutes she sold over 50 pounds of brisket to people over the phone, I already had 18 pounds leaving for a wedding, and another 20 between various pick-up's that called earlier and a line out the door.
Did I mention this all gets sliced by hand?? My favorite Henckel slicing knife may not be any thicker than a toothpick by the end of this month if this continues.

Where can I buy some help in this town, preferably not drunks, drug addicts, or child molesters...........
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoEzzy
Site Admin


Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Posts: 13183
Location: SLC, UT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01 12 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, this one is out of left field and you may have already have it covered and I've missed reading it.

Perhaps a white board and a marker next to the phone, with the daily totals for each meat listed on it, then as the calls come in they have to be subtracted from the board to keep the tallies current!

As for good cooks, wait staff / busing crew, does your local college have a catering school, or your high schools have an in school extra points (college credits), that you can work with in?
_________________
Here's a change Robert.

I still work here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01 12 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Harry, this one is out of left field and you may have already have it covered and I've missed reading it.

Perhaps a white board and a marker next to the phone, with the daily totals for each meat listed on it, then as the calls come in they have to be subtracted from the board to keep the tallies current!

As for good cooks, wait staff / busing crew, does your local college have a catering school, or your high schools have an in school extra points (college credits), that you can work with in?


Good suggestion, I appreciate it, But I've tried similar methods and short of me doing the register and cooking it does not help.

For instance, I can tell the cashier "we only have 3 racks of Ribs left" and within a minutes she'll send back an order for a 4 slabs,

She'll write down how many racks are available on a post-it note, and stick it on the register to remind her, and she still does the same thing.

I may need to go the "open til we're out of food" model, but I know people are going to be all bent out of shape because as far as the're concerned, BBQ only takes 20 minutes to cook, and they don't mind that 20 minute wait.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 1578
Location: Lawrenceville, GA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04 12 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have it, why not sell it...isn't that the point? All you need to do is to gently ask them that it is much better if they pre-order amounts like this in the future.
_________________
I likes to eat 'da pig!
Acts 11:5-9
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoEzzy
Site Admin


Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Posts: 13183
Location: SLC, UT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
If you have it, why not sell it...isn't that the point? All you need to do is to gently ask them that it is much better if they pre-order amounts like this in the future.


Partially because if you don't hold some for the restaurant, you can't "up sell" it with sides and a beer or a soda, and your business plan is not as a catering restaurant, (where the restaurant gets the food not sold in catering), but as a restaurant caterer, (where your primary business is the restaurant and the side business is the catering)!

JMUA!
_________________
Here's a change Robert.

I still work here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chachahutbbq
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 69
Location: Bushwick - Brooklyn - NY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry - here's our system for meat tracking & it might work a bit better than a white board...

We use poker chips.

White for pork
Red for brisket
Blue for turkey

(Still working off paper tracking for ribs until we can find another chip color)

We consider each chip to be a portion - 1/2# - & they represent the meat in the holding units. As an order comes in, the wife (who works the counter) can visually check to see how much meat is left & take the order accordingly. Before putting the ticket on the line, she pulls the appropriate amount of chips & puts them in a cup near the stacks. She believes the physical act of having to move & handle chips helps her keep aware of the remaining supply.

Sure - occasionally it goes off the rails a bit - but it has definitely lessened the "ummm - I do not have meat left for these orders" scenario. Then again - we're a MUCH smaller joint than yours & would LITERALLY plotz a brick if we did 50# of ANYTHING in a day. Good luck finding enough chippage for that...
_________________
cheers,
Frank Davis

Bushwick Grill Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 12 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chachahutbbq wrote:
Then again - we're a MUCH smaller joint than yours & would LITERALLY plotz a brick if we did 50# of ANYTHING in a day..


We are an unbelievably tiny place, we just got a good location and we do some really high volume in the summer months. Looking at another used Oyler to try and ease things, but we die in the winter big time.

What we do for a single days lunch in the summer, we have difficulty meeting those numbers over a 2-week period in the winter.
I am seriously considering shutting down for winter this year, I'll make the call in November (the first Wednesday of Nov.)
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 1578
Location: Lawrenceville, GA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06 12 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

I am seriously considering shutting down for winter this year, I'll make the call in November (the first Wednesday of Nov.)


From a business continuity standpoint, you run into a few issues with that plan which might be better handled in a separate thread, but I'll go ahead and give you my thoughts here anyway

First, don't you have some sort of a local customer base that you'd like to keep happy?

From an insurance standpoint, if you cease operations in the building, you might run into the problem of it being considered vacant and having coverage issues. A business, even if only temporarily empty, is at a much higher risk for loss when there are no ongoing operations.

I know you have a few folks you rely on as employees and a few you want to shed; how are you going to keep the good ones from finding other employment during those months? The problem with having good employees is that they generally don't have all that much problem finding another job and it's certainly not difficult to find one that pays better than food service, even in this economy
_________________
I likes to eat 'da pig!
Acts 11:5-9
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group