FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry curing tenderloin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbachuck

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 8:08 pm    Post subject: Dry curing tenderloin Reply with quote

I had some cured then smoked pork tenderloin while on vacation in MI and was thinking of making some of my own. I've been searching and I find a lot of info on smoking pork loins but not too much on tenderloins. Would it be a safe assumption that you can use the same cure recipe as you would on a loin or even on a pork belly? Of course you would use the correct amount of ingredients for the weight of the tenderloin. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Weber Ranch Kettle
2 - OH EL-ED/X
OH CTO
Old Stump's maze
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba, it won't take long to cure a tenderloin. From the ones that I've seen around here, 2 days max.
I've never done a TL, but I have done loins that were cured and became Canadian Bacon.
I am thinking 1 Tbsp of Tenderquick & 1 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar per pound plus any other spices that trip your trigger. Just don't add any salt.
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then into a ziplock bag. It will cure at 1/4" per side per day for a total of 1/2" per day. Measure your TL at it's thickest part and figure out the time requirement.
You will need to rinse and soak to get the excess salt/cure off and out of it.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think you might be looking for is a recipe for "Breseola"
It is typically done with "Eye of Round", but I do not see a reason a tenderloin wouldn't work perfectly except for the increased cost.

Breseola is not a cooked product, it is dry-cured and aged to lose moisture. So cure #2 would be the correct choice for doing one of that's the plan.

Smoking a tenderloin would not be my first choice, grilling it would, as would roasting since smoking is best reserved for the tougher fattier meats.
SmokenDevo

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is bresaola. Is this what you want to make?
bubbachuck

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may go ahead and give what you were saying Jarhead a try. The breseola looks good, but the stuff I had looked a lot like canadian bacon but just a lot smaller.
Weber Ranch Kettle
2 - OH EL-ED/X
OH CTO
Old Stump's maze
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbachuck wrote:
I think I may go ahead and give what you were saying Jarhead a try. The breseola looks good, but the stuff I had looked a lot like canadian bacon but just a lot smaller.

If your going to go through the trouble of curing and smoking, why not just do a loin. You can even cut the loin in half if your worried about screwing up the whole thing.
#3 LIAR
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it turns out Bubba.
As I've said, I've never done a TL before in the smoker.
Take pics for us.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 11 12 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, I saw tenderloin and thought beef, I must've missed the word "pork" in there, so disregard my breseola comments. Hell, disregard everything from today, Damn I'm exhausted.......
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 16 12 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinDevo - is that bresaola a smoked product or just air dried. I'm currently curing some hams right now...they've been hanging since the first of Feb.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 19 12 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breseola is a dry-cured/aged product with zero heat treating or smoke.

Just cure #2, salt, and some seasonings, the correct humidity, and temps. Many times people will case it in cow middles to help regulate moisture loss, and keep the beneficial mold off the meat.
Not the easiest thing for a first attempt at dry-aging, go with smaller diameter products like chorizo, pepperoni, and Landjager for learning the art.

You really need to have the proper environment like 85% humidity, and steady temps that you can regulate tightly.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 21 12 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that what you had was Kasseler Rippchen, which is brined and then smoked pork loin? We you at a German restaurant of home?

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
dmsintexas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I do do them.

http://www.porktenderloin.org/dry-cured/

It is pretty easy.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmsintexas wrote:
Here is how I do do them.

http://www.porktenderloin.org/dry-cured/

It is pretty easy.

I will take 2lbs of that, please. Wink
#3 LIAR
dmsintexas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Smoker,

PM me you contact info and I will send you one next time I do these. It won't be 2 lbs...more like 2/3 lb..but still tasty!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmsintexas wrote:
Oregon Smoker,

PM me you contact info and I will send you one next time I do these. It won't be 2 lbs...more like 2/3 lb..but still tasty!

I cant take advantage of that right now. I do appreciate the offer.
More then anything else can you provide the information that helped you build the curing chamber. It is one of those things that i am always interested in learning about. And making whole muscle cured meats is a little more feasible vs some of the other cured delicacies that require grinding and mixing.
#3 LIAR
dmsintexas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Smoker,

I wish I could give you detailed specifications but the honest answer is that the right curing chamber depends upon your local conditions. I am on the Gulf Coast with high temperatures and high humidity. What works for me would probably be overkill for your neck of the woods.

For whole muscles I will suggest that the minimum requirement is a separate refrigerator. Get some bleach and get it clean, clean, clean.

I used an outdoor light timer to turn the power to my fridge on/off every few hours. The exact cycle frequency will depend HEAVILY upon local ambient conditions. I wish I could give you better guidance but this has to be a trial and error process.

Invest in a digital thermometer/Hydrometer ($15) so you know what your conditions are. No point in guessing.

I have seen a lot of folks using a thermo-electric wine cooler for projects like this. These typically cost ~$150 and operate at 55 F and ambient humidity. From what I can tell they work great but only last for a year or two...no direct experience with these.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmsintexas wrote:
Oregon Smoker,

I wish I could give you detailed specifications but the honest answer is that the right curing chamber depends upon your local conditions. I am on the Gulf Coast with high temperatures and high humidity. What works for me would probably be overkill for your neck of the woods.

For whole muscles I will suggest that the minimum requirement is a separate refrigerator. Get some bleach and get it clean, clean, clean.

I used an outdoor light timer to turn the power to my fridge on/off every few hours. The exact cycle frequency will depend HEAVILY upon local ambient conditions. I wish I could give you better guidance but this has to be a trial and error process.

Invest in a digital thermometer/Hydrometer ($15) so you know what your conditions are. No point in guessing.

I have seen a lot of folks using a thermo-electric wine cooler for projects like this. These typically cost ~$150 and operate at 55 F and ambient humidity. From what I can tell they work great but only last for a year or two...no direct experience with these.

Thanks for the advice.
Posting your experience here so that others learn is super helpful. I was just curious about your build as i do have a freezer sitting in the garage that needs to be either put to use or sold. Being out of work currently either gives me time to work on projects or get rid of chit. Projects that cost money go by the way side and the equipment gets sold. So i have an answer at this point.
I know that you can buy thermostats that will regulate freezer temps at curing temps but just dont have the $'s to make it a reality at this point.
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-S,
it is a fine balance of temps, and humidity. There are some plans for making a curing chamber over at the UK based sausagemaker website.

a partial supply list depending on your weather
A humidifier ultrasonic works nice
small heater
something to cool the chamber with (a refrigerator is a great start)
exhaust fans to dehumidify
temp controller, and a humidity controller

for less than $1K, you can have a great chamber built from a working fridge by adding the heater, humidifier, heater, exhaust fans and have them all controlled by an RH controller and a simple thermostat that either triggers the cooling compressor of the fridge or the heater you have in there to warm things up if needed.

Then you may want to get some freeze-dried bacterial and mold cultures to guarantee the right stuff is growing in and on your product to keep it safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: