FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEXAS STYLE BRISKET HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
staymooney

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 11 2:44 am    Post subject: TEXAS STYLE BRISKET HELP Reply with quote

I have become pretty good @ smoking up some Texas style brisket.... I have one issue... I have not got when to take the thing out of the smoker down to a science yet... My feel is not very good. I sometimes make briskets that are too moist. So then I pull them earlier and they are too tough.... Now and then I get JUST RIGHT... I am just not consistent enough. Any hints or pointers out there!

I am a firm believer in feel over temp... Internal Temp almost means nothing to a good brisket.... 195 could be tough as nails or moist as butter... Its a done when its done.

I smoke at about 260... and normally ends up being around 1hr a pound.

I wrap midway thru smoking in butcher paper

I set in cooler wrapped for about 2 hours.

This is how I have got many perfect briskets in the past... Like I said though... I am not 100% consistent though.
Texas 1836
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 11 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, for me there is only one true test for doneness, and that is the toothpick test. I wrap in foil at 165 internal temp, and then monitor the IT up to about 195. But that doesn't mean it's done. That is when I start testing. When you can pierce the foil, paper or whatever with a toothpick and it feels like it slides through hot butter, it's done. Pull and let rest at least 30 mins, then slice. Then it's right every time.
Good luck!

Backyard Party Gator
andyco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09 11 12:30 pm    Post subject: Hey texas 1836 Reply with quote

I see you live in Willis Tx. I've got a good friend that is a dentist there. You know a dentist named Thomas Lee
Texas 1836
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19 12 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey texas 1836 Reply with quote

andyco wrote:
I see you live in Willis Tx. I've got a good friend that is a dentist there. You know a dentist named Thomas Lee

I apologize for the late reply Andyco, I missed this earlier. I haven't met him yet.

Backyard Party Gator
oldnndway
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 12 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer in a temp probe with a cable that goes out of the pit to a thermometer.

I have a lot better luck getting consistent results knowing what the internal temp of the meat is at all time.

I wrap at 165 and pull around 205.

Works well for me.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 12 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting close when you can smell that good "roast beef" smell coming from the pit, something you may miss if you wrap it too tightly.
snubnose

PostPosted: Sun May 27 12 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook a 10 lb whole packer at 300 for 8-9 hours and get consistent results. I normally look for a 12 pounder and trim a couple pounds of fat. You may not have found a source of consistent quality meat is why you are getting inconsistent results.
screaming_madman

PostPosted: Thu May 31 12 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a consistant meat source is critical to having consistant results. Size and source really need to be fairly consistant if you want really consistant results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: