FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Brisket with New Pit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23 12 9:47 pm    Post subject: First Brisket with New Pit Reply with quote

Hi all-
Love this site. Just did my first brisket this weekend with my new to me Lang 60. I rubbed it up about 8 hrs before cooking with a rub of sugar garlic salt and paprika and a few more spices. I put it on at 6:08am cooked it at a temp rangeing from 225-235. I foiled it at 172 degrees. and pulled it when it hit 193 degress. 6 1/2 hrs total cooking time. It was a 7.43lb flat. Doubled foiled it and towled and into the cooler. 3 hrs later unfoiled it and sliced. It was dang good I must say but a little on the dry side not bad but not moist. My question is for you pro's does 6 1/2 hrs seem a little quick I am wondering if I may have a thermometer issue on the pit.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24 12 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Mainely Smoka.
If it cooked that quick, my guess is you have a thermometer issue.
That cooked way too fast. 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound at 225 and when the probe slides into the thickest end with little or no resistance, then it's chow time.
Grab a couple cheapie oven thermometers and set em on the rack to see what your grate temp is.
I don't use foil, but I think it is done just before the stall at ~160.
Good luck, take some pics of your cooker and your groceries. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: