FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ribs Fast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefighter_Chris
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 5:46 am    Post subject: Ribs Fast Reply with quote

Was curious if anyone on here has ever cook ribs hot and fast? I tried a brisket this weekend and it was the best damn brisket I've ever cooked. COoked it between 300 & 350 and it was moist and tender and great flavor. Was curious if that is possible with ribs also? Reason I ask is my new smoker I'm having trouble dialing it in below 300. It is a homebuilt smoker but it is working great for briskets and butts. Thanks.

www.facebook.com/mannysbbq
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this past Sunday, I tried an experiment.
No pics, but it did happen. Smile Wink

I put 2 racks of baby backs on the Weber kettle, indirect.
Kept the intakes fully open. Done in 2 hours.
That's when I first checked them, who knows, may have been done sooner.
I have no idea what the temperature of the kettle was for the entire cook. Confused

Only put salt, pepper, and paprika on ribs.

I wanted to see if I could potentially smoke some mid-week ribs,
without having to wait til the weekend.

They turned out not too bad, IMHO. Very Happy

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
ham_bbq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the way i cook my meat to. hot and fast. learned from myron but it taste as good as any meat ive ever had.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am absolutely forced to, I can have a rack of STL's done in about an hour. But I make sure I have brisket or pork butts cooking above them so the drippings help baste the ribs or they get a bark on them.

You'll get some meat shrinking back from the bone farther at high temps, but they are still great ribs IMO

I do not like doing brisket fast, I see too much weight loss when I do.
El Ropo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot and fast is the only way I cook now. Although this isn't the most friendly forum for that technique. One of the reasons my post count is so low 'round here.

For ribs, I'll get the UDS stable at around 250 (thin blue to invisible smoke before tossing on meat).

After first hour @ 250ish, will bump cooker temps up to 300-325 for remainder of cook. They are usually "done" in ~3.75-4 hours. That's for St louis style spares, loin backs cook up in closer to 3 hours using same method.

No peeking, foiling, spritzing, mopping, no opening the cooker up at all till I hear the sizzling sound start to die down.

In my experience, every time you open the cooker, it extends cook time by ~20 minutes. So I leave it closed, and listen to the meat cooking. Yes you can hear what's happening.

Be warned though, I've had discussions with old school BBQ folks who think I'm crazy, but when I give them a sample without explaining the process, all I hear is "omm nomm nomm!"

Everyone likes to think their method is the best. I just don't care to spend 6-7 hours cooking a couple of racks of ribs when I can get better results using zero foil in a lot less time.
Firefighter_Chris
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try this weekend STL ribs at around 300degrees to see how it turns out...dunno how long it takes. But we will see.

El Ropo...I already get a rack of STL ribs done in 4-5 hours at 250 so to me that isn't really fast. I'm hoping to get a rack done in about 2 hours but we will see I guess.

www.facebook.com/mannysbbq
ham_bbq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 300 degrees its going to take around 3 to 31/2 hours. I cook mine at 300 for 21/2 hours then foil them for 30 mins. Take them out and put sauce on and cook about 15 more mins or till sauce is tacked. Hope this helps
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am pressed for time I cook ribs indirect at around 300.....they turn out fine....not as tender as low and slow....but still very good for a couple hours cooking.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
El Ropo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the comment "Not as tender as low n slow".

Meat renders hot n fast just as well as low n slow. It just takes a slightly higher finishing temp to be "done".

That's why I never go by finishing temp to determine when ribs, butts, picnics, chuckies are "done". The poke, probe, bone wiggle, or bend test (in the case of ribs) is the only thing I go by when checking for "done".

IMO, folks who always do a low n slow cook have never had a good result with their hot n fast cooks because they pull the meat off before it's fully rendered.

Ignore internal temp, and go by feel.

The probe like butter test is all that is needed. A cheap $.01 cent bamboo skewer will give you a better reading than a $80.00 thermapen when it comes to testing large hunks of meat for "DONE".
ham_bbq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cook all my meats around 300 to 325 and never had a tough or bad piece of meat. thats my style and it works. everybody has there styles. ive never had anyone complain about my food either. just my 2cents
El Ropo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Another H n F success story.

More sleep time should not be taken lightly.
Ray D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook my beef ribs about 275 for about 3 hours, sauce done on the grill, I think it renders the fat out better than lower heat, with a water pan they don't dry out. I also put them in the bottom of my frige, out of the package, wraped in towels, to age for about 5 or 6 days, I think aging beef is the most important step for good taste, even a cheap no good rib. The skimpy dino bones have the best flavor for me.

Ray D
bigdsbbqandmore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i have cooked my ribs in 2 hours around 300-325 then foil them with sauce for 30 mins. the family and friends loves them. Smile
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19 12 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
When I am pressed for time I cook ribs indirect at around 300.....they turn out fine....not as tender as low and slow....but still very good for a couple hours cooking.

I would say not as tender in the sense of a different texture than low and slow.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Bigfoot21075

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20 12 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with ElRopo on thias one. Also, remember by "high" we are still only talking 300 to 350 degrees. That is a FAR cry from true high heat cooking.If you toss them on at 500 they do not tyurn out well (the edges burn).

I let my day decide. If I am hanging out in the screen room on a beautiful day just chillin, workin on some blues licks or whatever - yes it is a 225 degree cook.

If I just want ribs for dinner, it is 325. Both end results are better than almost all resurant food and I never seem to have any hungry guests by the end of the day let alone much leftovers.

El Ropo wrote:
Don't get the comment "Not as tender as low n slow".

Meat renders hot n fast just as well as low n slow. It just takes a slightly higher finishing temp to be "done".

That's why I never go by finishing temp to determine when ribs, butts, picnics, chuckies are "done". The poke, probe, bone wiggle, or bend test (in the case of ribs) is the only thing I go by when checking for "done".

IMO, folks who always do a low n slow cook have never had a good result with their hot n fast cooks because they pull the meat off before it's fully rendered.

Ignore internal temp, and go by feel.

The probe like butter test is all that is needed. A cheap $.01 cent bamboo skewer will give you a better reading than a $80.00 thermapen when it comes to testing large hunks of meat for "DONE".

Superior SS2
Round Boy Wood Fired Oven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: