FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help with Wing Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 12 6:47 am    Post subject: Need Help with Wing Ideas Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Doing a little comp in a couple of months. And the ruless state that on friday evening, everyone has to do wings for turn-in and for people choice. The group is selling tickets to the public for fund raiser, and teams will get 25% of the ticket sells. And they are furnishing the wings.

Well I like eating wings, but I don't like to set my self on fire.

In a peoples choice??????

Go with a regular hot Buffalo, or a sweet smokey BBQ sauce, hot smokey BBQ. what do you guys think.

Will most people judge on hot wings, or for BBQ??? Got enough time to play withit, but want to get some ideas on a direction.

RandyE
rgwiazdzinski
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 12 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would cook whatever you would like to eat personally unless they are super hot because most women and kids won't like hot. most peoples choice awards are won based on the people handing out the food and not so much on the food because most people entering a peoples choice are good cooks so it really is a personality contest alot of times!!
bam
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19 12 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If rules allow cook wings til done on smoker remove deep fry 2 min add sauce.
ace27705

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 12 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the rules are ok with it..yes i agree pop those suckers in a deep fryer after smoke for a few mins then sauce...Bam ! if you are going for a buffalo wing taste and you are not making you'r own buffalo sauce...dip them in mild franks red hot and serve.If you want bbq sauce ...in TN if thats where the comp is...use a homemade sweet and smokey sauce cook close to done..fry 1 to 2 mins...dip in sauce back on smoke for 5 to 10 and serve.
RedValleyBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 12 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend staying away from anything with too much heat. Not everybody likes heat and it may affect the way you are judged. You may also want to think outside the box on this one. Offering something different may help your wings stand out. This thinking paid off for me in a grilling contest once. Assuming that most, if not all, of the other teams were going to sauce their wings, I went with a coating of a dry rub after the wings were cooked. Took 5th out of 40+ teams. Also, if you have the time, think about brining the wings to add more flavor.
18.5" & (3) 22" Weber Kettle Grills
Traeger Lil' Tex
KCBS CBJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
weihl165

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04 12 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with bam on this, that's how how I do them.
22.5 Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: