FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to add thermometers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecto1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 2:11 am    Post subject: Best way to add thermometers? Reply with quote

OK so I want to add three thermometers to my new pit. What would be the best way to drill the holes needed through the 1/4/ in pipe?

I am open to any suggestion.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you wanting to weld on the new pit? if so drill the same size as the OD of a 3/8 collar and weld it in place screw in the new probes
ecto1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a welder but may be able to find someone who would be able to help me with this one. I was originally thinking just drill but welding may be the way to go.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., here is a link to Tel-tru they have several styles and ways to mount their therms.
http://www.teltru.com/s-140-pit-smoker-and-cooker.aspx
If you want to weld in couplings and have problems finding a welder and want to drive to Vidor give me a call. We can do it here at the house. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to add thermometers? Reply with quote

ecto1 wrote:
What would be the best way to drill the holes needed through the 1/4/ in pipe?

I would go with a drill and drill bits of the proper size.

sorry it was to easy.

I have both a pit with the collars and one with out. I have to say i like the ones without a little more. I find it easier to remove the thermos for cleaning/calibrating when they just have a nut on the inside vs being screwed into a collar. JM2C.
crb478
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have drilled and tapped 1/4 inch pipe with good results, then just screw the thermometers in with a thin lock nut to set them in the proper orientation.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use temp gauges with the 1/2" pipe thread. I pop a hole in the door ( drill, torch, etc) large enough for the stem. I then split a 1/2" black pipe coupling in half width wise and temporarily install the gauge into the coupling including the supplied lock nut. I give the nut a 1/4 - 1/2 turn adjustment play and tighten it down. This gives the gauge a little room for fine tuning should I miss the vertical line up by a hair while ensuring I have enough thread and that the orientation will be correct being that it is a pipe thread. I then cold tack the coupling ( with gauge still installed) to the door to avoid any door warpage, the cold tacks help keep the full weld out from pulling, especially on a round style door. A bit of care is taken during the tacking to align so that the gauge face is projecting out square with the door. I then remove the gauge and weld out the coupling. The halved coupling gives me the distance from the door I am looking for. This application does steal away from how far the stem reaches into the cooker by a small bit but it is not as if it was almost to dead center of the cooker in the first place. Door mounted probes are for reference mostly anyway IMO so I can live with the loss of a 1/2" or so. Just my $.02 worth if it helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Tech-Talk All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: