FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smokin' Jerky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08 11 12:57 am    Post subject: Smokin' Jerky Reply with quote

I'd like to try smoking jerky. I have a lang 84 kitchen with a warming box. Anybody out there doing this? I have a good marinade but want to do more than the dehydrator can handle. Tried it once in the warming box but I think I got it too hot (170) and it didn't taste as good as in my dehydrator. I'm thinking I would like to do it in the cooking chamber so I can have more control over the temperature. Any input would be appreciated.
250gal. Offset Smoker
84 Lang Kitchen
Ya know how ya git to Carnegie Hall don't cha...practice

www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36580
tacklebox
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08 11 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cold smoke my jerky before putting it in my dehydrator. Biggest thing you need to do is add the proper amount of cure (#1 or TenderQuick) to your recipe (Botulism possibilities). I don't smoke dry mine, as I find I have better control over the final results if I use the dehydrator after a bit of smoke.
Twisted Evil Pompous Ass Bigoted LIAR #69 Twisted Evil
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10 11 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you make jerky, your goal is to dehydrate the meat without actually cooking it.

Using Cure#1 is a must for safety, and to get the proper color & texture.

The most simple recipe is 1 TBS of tender-quick to each pound of meat, maybe some blk pepper, after the curing time, rinse the meat, put it in the smoker racks and try to keep temps under 100 degrees for the first hours until the meat starts to dry, then raise them up to 120'ish until the meat is the texture you like.
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12 11 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try it again with your suggestions. If it doesn't work I'll go back to the dehydrator.
250gal. Offset Smoker
84 Lang Kitchen
Ya know how ya git to Carnegie Hall don't cha...practice

www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36580
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: