FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fresh mussles with a garlic baquette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire00

PostPosted: Tue May 31 11 9:06 pm    Post subject: fresh mussles with a garlic baquette Reply with quote

This past weekend I decided to cook up a bunch of mussels and bbq some chicken wings. Now I know I am bias, however these were some of the best wings and mussels I have ever eaten. Hereís how it all went down.

I bought 4 lbs of rope grown mussels from Costco last week for 11$. I could not believe how cheap they were. I also bought 4 lbs of chicken wings as well, but more about those later. The prep for the mussels was pretty easy; they had already been scrubbed and de-bearded. I brought out a large 5 gallon pot that I have at the trailer, threw that on the side burner of my ďQĒ and set it on med-high heat, I diced up some Vidalia onions, (these are the best by the way) and when the oil was hot I started cooking these down. Once the onions are soft and translucent or opaque it was now time to throw in the minced garlic. Only throw in the garlic when there is a couple minutes of cooking left on the onions. You donít want to burn the garlic otherwise you will get a not so nice flavor. When these two steps are completed you can throw in your liquid. I used apple cider for this batch. You can use wine, beer, or stock if you want as well. I went with the cider since it was available and my beer stash was running low. Pour in the liquid; I used 1 tall can or 750 ml or 24 oz. I think thats right. Either way just use a couple cups of whatever liquid you want. Let this simmer over the heat for a few minutes so it can reduce and blend flavors. Sorry, you should have diced some tomatos prior to getting everything ready and cooking. Remember always be prepared. You donít want to be running around because you forgot something and over cook the mussles. Throw the mussels in the pot, throw the tomatoes and a bunch of parsley on top and give a good shake or mix of the pot. Be careful not to splash yourself. When everything is mixed just put a lid on the pot and let steam for 5 minutes. The mussels will open up as they steam. Now that 5 minutes has past, remove the pot from the heat and give one more shake or good stir to the whole pot so that the liquid and fixings cover all of the mussels. Remember to discard any mussles that didnt open during the steaming process, this means thay are no good.

Pour in to a big bowl and serve. Make sure you have another bowl for shells. I also prepared a French baguette to use as a juice sucker upper.

The night before, I took a small bowl and put in some butter, added some minced garlic, basil and parsley to it. Give this a very good mix so that everything is blended into each other, cover and let sit in the fridge overnight. This is necessary. I did this one other time without letting it sit for very long and it was not good at all, none of the flavors gelled and well itís just better to mix and leave overnight. let the butter mixture come to room temp then I lather a nice portion on to each slice of break and grilled it until crisp and the butter had melted. This bread dipped in the leftover juices from the mussels was absolutely amazing, and a must have to complete this meal. I will be covering how to bbq chicken wings in another post so please stay tuned and watch for it. You will be amazed at how simple of a technique this really is.

take care and keep the fire hot.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 31 11 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard wildfire00.
I'm not into mussels, but I do like wings.
I checked out your website. Great job. Had a good laugh out of "Bachelor and Budget Living".

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
uhmgood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10 11 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a big fan of mussels, when there done right theres nothing better. i think most people overcook them and they get rubbery, you gotta know when to take em off
wildfire00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 11 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jarhead"]Welcome aboard wildfire00.
I'm not into mussels, but I do like wings.
I checked out your website. Great job. Had a good laugh out of quote]

yeah the wings turned out great. Too bad your not into mussels they are amazing if done correctly and not overcooked. the "Bachelor and Budget Living" post was actually for a buddy of mine. he constantly complains about not having time to shop or cook so it got me thinking. it actually was a big help to him.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: