FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kory's Budget 305 Gallon Trailer Build (updated 10-17-11)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 6:19 am    Post subject: Kory's Budget 305 Gallon Trailer Build (updated 10-17-11) Reply with quote

This will be my second smoker build, but this one is for my friend Kory at work. It will resemble something between a DPP and Slapout's trailer (Imitation is the finest form of a Flattery!). It is based on a 305 gallon fuel tank and another Industrial water heater tank(similar but bigger than my firebox) scored from a restaurant renovation. Most of the materials have been procured for free in this build and are considered scrap. A digital temp controller, rtd, and a blower fan have been procured for the build Twisted Evil . we'll see how the controller works... it was freebee also. two trailers where donated for the build one for the frame and one for the military axle.

Kory's previous smokers are an SNP and a borrowed 300 Gal trailer set up for when he caters. Kory would like to go out on his own, and there for, will be needing his own Rig. Kory Has been Scavenging for this build for 2 years

Let's try some pics of our rough beginnings:

Here are pics of the trailer with the military axle relocated approx a foot rearward.

Unfortunately the military trailer was rusted out but left behind a axle with a nice set of leafs

Carcase of the military trailer.

Tanks for the build.

Mockup of cooker tank

Tank welded.

Uncut Firebox.

Forklift Battery Box to be used as a grill later in the build.

Our work will probably continue to be done on Sundays and will be slow build. More to follow next Sunday.

Last edited by evil16v on Tue Oct 18 11 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question though.... I am lacking 6" pipe for connecting the firebox and the cooker would 3 or 4, 4" diameter sections work out? Or should I continue the search for the 6" (as with slapout's build), and use 2.

I user timplate's calc and it gave me some obnoxious numbers:

(13) Round 4" pipes
(9) Round 5" pipes
(6) Round 6" pipes
(5) Round 7" pipes
(4) Round 8" pipes

I will assume the calculator does not apply for this application. Shocked

To Slapout if you are watching... Did you decide if the dampers where useful With your two 6" connecting pipes?

Note:
Cooker Tank is 38"x62" or 305 Gal
Firebox Tank is 24"x44" or 85 gallons
I have some 4" pipe on hand so far
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob that is one hell of a cooker.
You are gonna need some serious heat to keep that thing to going.
I used to have a Fat 50 and it had 2 - 6" tubes with dampers on each one. It was no where close to being the size of that one.
I'm not familiar with that calc and I don't know if the one in the stickies would work on that.
I plugged your numbers in and came up with the same. Your firebox is a bit small.
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html
One question, how tall is that thing and how tall is Kory? I see a problem of getting your chamber doors open and closed.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
I used to have a Fat 50 and it had 2 - 6" tubes with dampers on each one. It was no where close to being the size of that one.
I'm not familiar with that calc and I don't know if the one in the stickies would work on that.
I plugged your numbers in and came up with the same. Your firebox is a bit small.
One question, how tall is that thing and how tall is Kory? I see a problem of getting your chamber doors open and closed.

Thanks Jarhead!! Kory has some large intentions with his cooks Very Happy

Did you use the Dampers much? That has been a question in the build. I put one between chambers on mine and even oversized it knowing i could close it up some... but I almost always leave it wide open.

The calc is the one in the sticky's. The firebox is about 80% of what the calc calls for. We figured close enough there. The one he borrows (also about 300Gal.) had an even smaller box on it and hit temps pretty easy.

I think he is just going to have to find some 6" or larger pipe and save the 4" for multiple stacks. This is the part I am worried about right now. he doesn't have much cash, but i think this a place we are going to have to spend some money.

Kory is a big guy. The top rack will probably come to his chin. We were worried about that too. It's about as low and as far back as i could go.. while still getting room for fenders and getting decent tongue weight. if push comes to shove... may have to build a fold down step. Mr. Green
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:

I just tried the calc you linked me... came up the same again. it wants five or more of the 6"!! wow...

That does work nicer in html and java... now i don't have to download the file or have excel in the first place. thanks for the link!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I was thinking of the cook chamber doors being well over his head. Shocked
You may have to make a fold down tailgate for it. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 11 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Rob, I was thinking of the cook chamber doors being well over his head. Shocked
You may have to make a fold down tailgate for it. Wink

Definitely going to need some carefully thought out doors and counterweights
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 11 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrolic lift gate or would that be a dumb waiter?

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 11 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil16v, your off to a great start. Very Happy The calculator does not really help with your current setup it is more for horizontal draft applications. Two 6" connectors would probably feed the cooking chamber three would be better in my opinion. I would not put dampers in the connectors, you could stop the connectors at the entry point if you use a plate like an R/F setup or run half cut snouts about 2/3's the way into the cooker. I would also use two 6" stacks I do not think 4" will be large enough to draft the tank. I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 11 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
evil16v, your off to a great start. Very Happy The calculator does not really help with your current setup it is more for horizontal draft applications. Two 6" connectors would probably feed the cooking chamber three would be better in my opinion. I would not put dampers in the connectors, you could stop the connectors at the entry point if you use a plate like an R/F setup or run half cut snouts about 2/3's the way into the cooker. I would also use two 6" stacks I do not think 4" will be large enough to draft the tank. I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Thanks KAM!!

That's kinda what i needed to hear.
we have some plate, but I'll have to lok and see how wide it is. it would prbably more resemble tuning plates with what i have on hand. I would rather extend into the chamber with the connector pipes as you suggested. Now... to get my hands on some 6" pipe Shocked
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27 11 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil16v, road trip to Vermont, 10 feet of it in the backyard.

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 11 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenSmoker wrote:
evil16v, road trip to Vermont, 10 feet of it in the backyard.

I'd be on that, if i where anywhere near Mr. Green
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 11 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the calculator I'm supposed to have almost (5) 4 inch pipes from my firebox to tank, I'm using 2 and it works like a champ. Your cooking tank is a lot larger than mine so I'd assume you'd need a couple more, but you could probably get by with the 4 inch pipe.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48836
Double Kettle Pizza Cooker
Current Trailer Project
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 11 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...

I may have procured an 8' piece of 6"... I have to go dig it up Rolling Eyes
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 11 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil16v, congrats on the find. Very Happy Now all you gotta do is gitt-er done. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 11 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
evil16v, congrats on the find. Very Happy Now all you gotta do is gitt-er done. Very Happy

it's partly in the gound, but shouldn't be too hard... the guy who has it, has loader on his tractor. Smile
evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03 11 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the doors cut today, and Kory will continue with some grinding this afternoon. The pipe we dug up turned out to be 8", so we will be using two 8" connector pipes. We have enough for the exhaust, but i don't know how we are going to handle that yet. I wonder if you're pipe can be so big around for exaust ???? Hmmmm....Here are some updated pics:

Here is the 8" pipe....

Here's me working on the small side door...

Here's Kory Next to the build for height reference

Not much cleaning necessary...

Removable door Hinge close up.

evil16v
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18 11 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of work done but not a whole lot of pics this time.

My usual overkill removable door hinges for the firebox...

Stepped inlet pipes (Ugly but should be effective)

Here are the pipes tacked to the Firebox to be. This where we will probably take a step backward. the pipes aren't high enough on the firebox. this sets us lower in the cooker than we wanted plus may be a problem with draft. We will most likely cut the tacks and cut the fire box inlet holes to rotate the firebox and pipes upward. the door will rotate downward some.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: