FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This can't be right, can it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 2:41 pm    Post subject: This can't be right, can it? Reply with quote

I am planning to do a Boston Butt for pulled pork for a family reunion this Saturday. I've read where they can take anywhere from 1.5-2 hrs/lb and my pork butt is just shy of 17 pounds. Am I looking at a 20 to 30 hour cook??? Shocked

That can't be right, can it? Confused I'll have to start it the night before, the night before the reunion. Laughing I am just wondering what time I should start this thing as we plan to eat around noon on Saturday.

Thanks-Scott

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pretty much works up to the 12lb mark, but there are lots of things you can do to speed things up.

Cook at a higher temperature every increase of 25°, decreases cooking time by about 3 minutes / lb above 300°.

Cook it low and slow for the first 8 hours, then pan or foil it and foil lid the pan, that will create a "pressure cooker" effect and the meat will cook quicker.

Combine method B with method A and wrap it and crank the temperature.

I work here!
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. How about cutting it in half? I wanted to smoke it overnight with 2 briskets. Kinda like to get the cook time down to about 15 hours.

Thanks-Scott
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a cook going on for 15 hours. Cook it as is to 160 - 165°, put it into a disposable pan foil tightly over the top, and cook it till it's done, I prefer to cook that way than mess about cutting things up, I'd estimate that doing it as suggested should have it cooked to 200° in between 13 - 14 hours at 250° at the grate temperature.

You can bone it out or cut it in half, but that has never worked as well for me!

Perhaps someone else can advise on their cutting experience!

I work here!
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-worker of mine that I built a UDS for cuts them in half all the time with good results and less cooking time. One memorable comment was more surface area = more bark = more flavor.

Cheeers

The Bride of Franken Smoker
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millstream wrote:
Thanks for the tips. How about cutting it in half? I wanted to smoke it overnight with 2 briskets. Kinda like to get the cook time down to about 15 hours.

Thanks-Scott

You haven't opened the package yet have you? I'm wagering you $100 right now that you have a standard 2/per cryovac. There are two butts in there. I almost think I can see the demarcation line in the picture you provided (right about middle way of the label).

I've never seen a 16# butt, but I have seen plenty in the 8-8.5# range. You have two of the latter. I almost guarantee it.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08 11 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
You haven't opened the package yet have you? I'm wagering you $100 right now that you have a standard 2/per cryovac. There are two butts in there. I almost think I can see the demarcation line in the picture you provided (right about middle way of the label).

I've never seen a 16# butt, but I have seen plenty in the 8-8.5# range. You have two of the latter. I almost guarantee it.

x2

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
millstream
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 11 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jar and Pit-

Who ever heard of a 17 pound butt? Of course there were 2-8 pounders in there. Embarassed Crisis averted. It's exciting to be a newbie. Laughing

Thanks-Scott
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 11 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millstream wrote:
Jar and Pit-

Who ever heard of a 17 pound butt? Of course there were 2-8 pounders in there. Embarassed Crisis averted. It's exciting to be a newbie. Laughing

Thanks-Scott

LOL

No problem. Good luck!
206Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13 11 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millstream wrote:
Jar and Pit-

Thanks-Scott

Funny you should mention a Huge Butt of 17 lbs..I just finished a cook of a monster 13 lb Boneless Butt
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yeah cut it in half. If it was me I would let them sit on the counter for 3 hours or so to have the temp come up. It will reduce your cooking time A LOT.
txkpoker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 13 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notdumasilook wrote:
Heck yeah cut it in half. If it was me I would let them sit on the counter for 3 hours or so to have the temp come up. It will reduce your cooking time A LOT.

I don't really get this. It's either sitting on your counter, or sitting on your cooker. While the cook time might be longer if you put it in cold, the overall time will be less than letting it come up to room temp on your counter as opposed to a 225 deg smoker. Allowing meat to come up to room temp prior to putting it on a heat source is more applicable to direct grilling. Take a steak for example. The idea of it is that since you are exposing the exterior to high heat, the closer the interior is to room temp prior to putting the meat on the grill, the less time the exterior has to completely burn up and dry out while the interior comes up to the proper temp you are shooting for.

I'm not saying there is no merit to it with a large hunk of meat, I'm just saying the benefit is much less. The exterior is going to be exposed to a much lower heat, therefore dramatically reducing the possibility of the exterior being overcooked and the interior undercooked. Just my $0.02.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: