FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime rib Friday's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11 11 12:18 am    Post subject: Prime rib Friday's Reply with quote

So last week while I was buying beef ribs at the grocery store I happened to notice a sign in the butcher shop window saying prime rib ½ price. Well obviously this couldn’t go unnoticed, I double checked with my butcher friend to make sure there were no mistakes and grabbed a 3 lbs slab. I had him cut it in half for two great inch and bit thick steaks.

My wife and I, like most carnivores love prime rib, we usually save it for those special night when we go out but this time I decided we would have one of those night without leaving our humble abode. For 3 bucks a pound I couldn’t go wrong. Usually it’s just over 8 bucks a lbs and at the restaurants it’s close to 30 bucks for a good prime rib dinner, And that’s for 1.

These were very simple to prepare. Take out a nice big frying pan and pre heat to medium high, but closer to high. While the pan is heating up, lay your steaks out on a plate and on one side you should sprinkle fresh ground salt and pepper and olive oil. You should be fairly generous with those three items, don’t be shy. Sorry, at the same time as you turn on your stove top you should crank up your oven to 450F as well.

Now that your pan and oil are hot and ready to go, take your steaks and lay them in there seasoned side down. This is when you can season the other side. There is no point doing both sides on the plate since you will end up leaving most of it on the plate. You will notice that I didn’t marinate or let sit for hours. The reason for this is because there is so much flavor in the meat itself that I find it unnecessary. Once the fats start breaking down you will be amazed at the flavor this meat gives itself. So make sure you only fry this on one side only, the other side will be done in the oven. So cook the steaks for no more than three minutes. Now take the pan and steaks and throw them in the oven for another 10 minutes.
These will come out to a perfect medium rare. Cook longer in the oven for more well done or cook shorter for more rare.

look at the color on that pup, now thats what ya want.

To go with these great steaks I made some mini roasted potatoes that were coated in garlic powder, salt, pepper, rosemary and oil. These roasted in the oven at 350F for 45 minutes.

Also to top these marvelous pieces of meat off, we need of course to add mushrooms and onions. I use Vidalia onions as much as possible; they have such a great sweet taste and caramelize very nicely. I used some fresh chopped mushrooms as well that were very large. I like a big bite of mushroom so the bigger the better. I fried the onions at medium high for about 7 minutes and then threw in the mushrooms and fried for another 3-5 minutes. While the onions and mushrooms were frying I added a bit of butter and some bacon bits for an added level of flavor.

Next time your feeling prime rib you should check out your local butcher or grocery store before heading to a restaurant. Not only do you get a great meal, but your wife will probably give you a great little smile when she takes the first bite. Now that’s what makes it all worth the time and effort.
If you get a chance stop by my facebook page and join our group. There are tid bits of recipes tips and ideas. You can also use it as a forum for your ideas feedback and suggestions.
Take care and keep the fire hot
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11 11 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the how to wildfire.
My problem is a champagne appetite on a cheap beer pocketbook. Laughing
I guess this would work on T-Bones and Rib-Eyes as well. Just cut 'em thick.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: