FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smoke from other than wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18 11 10:45 am    Post subject: smoke from other than wood Reply with quote

does anyone use anything with their wood for extra flavors? I have used Onion, apples and garlic bulbs. These seem to give a nice variation to flavors. I havent noticed any bitterness, and the smoke smell is incredible!
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18 11 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

throwing onions in the fire is supposed to help tenderize the meat also. I know of one place that does it, and I have done it a time or two myself.

Rosemary should make a nice addition in flavor.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it helps the flavor profile but sprinkling a bit of rub on the wood in the offset sure gets the neighbors attention Laughing Laughing ...
SWP5767
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 11 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onion in the fire sounds like a good idea. Something to try next time.
Char-Broil Gasser (yea I know)
bam
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 11 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sage,basil and allspice.
Johnds

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29 11 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, I have been experimenting with non spice rubs.

I have found that the use of thin set mortar adds a certain firmness in the texture of my pulled pork. Actually, it doesn't pull very well anymore, but my dentist has been fascinated by my efforts.

John
Seminole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding juniper to hunter's sausages has been practiced in Eastern Europe and Germany for a long time. Crushed juniper berries are usually added to the sausage mix.
Then juniper branches or twigs are added into the fire in the last stages od smoking (15 minutes). It gives sausage a darker color as well. Juniper has this peculiar taste that we all know and like Very Happy - it is added to gin.

See the recipe:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/mysliwska
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 11 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckone wrote:
throwing onions in the fire is supposed to help tenderize the meat also. I know of one place that does it, and I have done it a time or two myself.

Rosemary should make a nice addition in flavor.

I have so much rosemary on my property, im always using it with my cooks, the rosemary smoke definently adds a little extra to the food

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
SmokeHound
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 11 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: smoke from other than wood Reply with quote

phil c wrote:
does anyone use anything with their wood for extra flavors? I have used Onion, apples and garlic bulbs. These seem to give a nice variation to flavors. I havent noticed any bitterness, and the smoke smell is incredible!

You betcha! I save the trimming from onions, red/green/yellow bell peppers, ginger or anything else that I think might add flavor. Rosemary and Thyme are two of my particular favorites (gonna be doing this very thing in a couple weeks when I smoke a couple turkey breasts).

I usually stick 'em in a cheap-o foil loaf pan, fill it with water and let that smoke/steam drift into the smoking chamber. The difference is very detectable, IMO. . . . It's also a great way to torture your neighbors. . . . Wink Evil or Very Mad

New Braunfels stick burner
Weber-Smokey Joe
TBD-wishlist

~~~ and a big fat LIAR, too! ~~~
Micker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26 11 9:08 am    Post subject: Other than wood... Reply with quote

I've thrown some peanut shells in, they have a unique smolder, also coconut shells. It's just a different flavour altogether.
2 fat boys bbq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28 11 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnds wrote:
Interesting thread, I have been experimenting with non spice rubs.

I have found that the use of thin set mortar adds a certain firmness in the texture of my pulled pork. Actually, it doesn't pull very well anymore, but my dentist has been fascinated by my efforts.

John

I nearly pissed myself laughing. Laughing
Anyway, yeah, Ive thown onions on my coals, adds a different level to the meat flavor. I live in the same county as Vidalia (onions). Everybody knows someone around here to get them onions. Shocked
Weber gasser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: