FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rib questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smcswain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05 11 2:25 am    Post subject: rib questions Reply with quote

I've now done ribs on my WSM three times. The first time was by far the best (beginner's luck), and since then I've had trouble replicating it. Last time I felt like the ribs came out kinda dry, so I'm specifically looking for ways to avoid that.

- Do you guys mop ribs? I've used a spray mop before, but most of the threads on here talking about ribs don't mention mopping.

- It also sounds from reading several threads like I don't really need to wrap the ribs in foil to finish them. I'm doing six racks of baby backs tomorrow, so I'll be using a rib rack, which makes foiling difficult anyway. If I can get away without it, all the better.

- Can applying the rub too far in advance dry the ribs out? I put the rub on the night before and let them sit in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap.

- What temp do you guys like to keep the smoker?

As usual, all help is appreciated.
charleso
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05 11 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put rub on my ribs, esp baby backs, until a few minutes before they go on the the cooker. The salt in the rub will pull the moisture out of the meat and dry it out.

I do make up a spritz and spray it on while cooking. I wait at least 1 1/2 to two hours before spraying the first time.

I foil because my wife likes fall off the bone. I just don't foil em for very long.
Hozman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05 11 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray mine with a mix of apple juice and evoo about every hr for the first couple hrs. I have always wrapped my ribs or placed in tin pan and covered and let cook for another 1.5 hrs. last 30 minutes I sauce and place back on grate.

Have some on the UDS as I type this
jrstout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05 11 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rub mine as the cooker is coming up to temp. I don't spritz, mop or foil. I cook on a WSM and it usually settles in around 270 monitored thru the top vent.

My ribs usually take 6-7 hrs with my set up.
smcswain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to save and reheat the leftovers?
edskull69
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcswain wrote:

Not that I ever have leftover ribs.....lol but if you wrap em in foile and reheat at 225-250 until warm that should do the trick.....When I make ribs to bring somewhere that is how I reheat them. I usually leave them whole rack and slice as needed. they seem to keep better that way.

Lang Model 60 with Deluxe Warming rack

www.thembonesbbq.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
smcswain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edskull69 wrote:
smcswain wrote:

Not that I ever have leftover ribs.....lol but if you wrap em in foile and reheat at 225-250 until warm that should do the trick.....When I make ribs to bring somewhere that is how I reheat them. I usually leave them whole rack and slice as needed. they seem to keep better that way.

I got six racks for four people... certainly hoping for some leftovers. Thanks for the tip.

Ribs are going now. Just started saucing them after three hours at 230-250. I put the two racks that I couldn't fit in my rib rack on the bottom grate, so I'm gonna see how they work out without mop or sauce, because I can't really get to them very well.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most foolproof way of not ending up with dry ribs is to not overcook them.

Seriously.

Mopping isn't going to do much to keep the rib moist. The most you can hope for when using a mop is the evaporation of the water and concentration of the flavor of whatever ingredients are in the mop. That's it. The mop liquid isn't going to soak into the meat.

Foiling is another way, but it isn't needed or necessary.

Just don't overcook the ribs and they'll be moist.
size38pants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 11 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrstout wrote:
I rub mine as the cooker is coming up to temp. I don't spritz, mop or foil. I cook on a WSM and it usually settles in around 270 monitored thru the top vent.

My ribs usually take 6-7 hrs with my set up.

I am a novice at this, but those cooking times and temps seem way high compared to bbs I cook up. Would yours be especially meaty, vast quantity, or something to do with the WSM?
mattp
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18 11 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baby backs may not need to be mopped or sprayed cause they cook pretty quick...i just spritz stuff when it looks dry to keep the outside from gettin to dark too early on. But during the last 45 mins to an hour. I put 2 or 3 coats of my guess and pour version of roxys rib glaze on the ribs. I like to make it really thin, and nice and tangy so im not shy with the cider vin, and when applied in two or three coats, makes a nice shiny thin sweet glaze. very good on baby backs. When you pick up the rack with tongs, the rack should horseshoe over and start to pull apart a little... then they are done. if you do that, they definitely wont be dry.
Huey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19 11 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd come here to post my rib epiphany, and it has to do with ribs on a WSM. This looks like a good spot, and I hope it helps.

I had been cooking at too high a temp. A brief excursion to 250 aside, I kept the smoker at 220-225 for the entire cook this time. I was also cooking some beef short ribs, and decided to put those on the top rack. The spares went on the bottom rack. I did use hot water (and a little apple juice) in the water pan. I think the proximity to the moisture helped. I applied rub right before putting them on. I'd been marinating overnight.

I did the 3-2-1 method and foiled for the 2 hours, with a cup of apple juice. This batch finally came out sublime. Beautiful smoke ring (no pics....sorry) and gentle tug to pull off the bone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: