FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken brine recipe needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savannahsmoker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24 09 1:20 am    Post subject: just my basic one Reply with quote

For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
1 gallon iced water

For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil

Directions
Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed chicken breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours to 24 hours.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24 09 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwenStubbs wrote:
Does the type of salt used make a difference? I brined some chicken pieces a few weeks back... I used 1/2 cup each salt and sugar. Salt was basic table salt (Morton Iodized), not kosher, sea salt etc.... Both wife and one of my kids immediately commented that it was really salty - and neither knew I had brined it.

Yes, if you read Brining 101, yes different salts have different effect. Think about the fact that all salts aren't the same size granules, so one granule of kosher isn't the same as one of table salt.
MustGoFast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25 09 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwenStubbs wrote:
Does the type of salt used make a difference? I brined some chicken pieces a few weeks back... I used 1/2 cup each salt and sugar. Salt was basic table salt (Morton Iodized), not kosher, sea salt etc.... Both wife and one of my kids immediately commented that it was really salty - and neither knew I had brined it.

Question: Why Kosher Salt? Canít I use table or regular sea salt?

Answer: There are some very significant differences in the amount of salt, by weight in kosher salt vs. regular salt. You canít substitute them one for one. I suggest the larger, coarser Kosher so that you get a more consistent brine. If you MUST use regular salt, I would recommend decreasing salt by Ĺ the amount to start with.

I'd say this last piece would give you a good guess as to why it came out salty.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25 09 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MustGoFast wrote:
OwenStubbs wrote:

Question: Why Kosher Salt? Canít I use table or regular sea salt?

Answer: There are some very significant differences in the amount of salt, by weight in kosher salt vs. regular salt. You canít substitute them one for one. I suggest the larger, coarser Kosher so that you get a more consistent brine. If you MUST use regular salt, I would recommend decreasing salt by Ĺ the amount to start with.

I'd say this last piece would give you a good guess as to why it came out salty.

If I am not mistaken, most table salt is iodine in it, sea and Kosher salt does not.
LIAR #100
oliviapitson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 11 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning a wedding reception for the backyard in July. I don't know where to start. I want invitation like a BBQ invite. Please suggest me any bbq chicken recipe for my party.

I'm a Spammer and a bad one at that, please ignore my posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: