FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another first time smoke - chicken and sausage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smcswain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 7:22 am    Post subject: Another first time smoke - chicken and sausage Reply with quote

Last weekend I did my first brisket. This weekend I wanted to do something a little quicker, so I was going to try some bone-in chicken breasts and sausages.

I have about 2 lbs of sweet italian sausage, a package of venison sausage that came highly recommended from my butcher, and 5 large bone-in chicken breasts.

I'm guessing the sausages will be relatively straightforward, right? Not a lot of prep work there. As for the chicken, I'm looking for a relatively simple brine and rub kinda recipe... nothing fancy. I've never brined anything before, though. I read the "Brining 101" thing linked off the chicken recipe forum. Anybody got a nice, simple recipe for a brine and rub they'd wanna share? I checked the recipe forums and didn't really find what I was looking for (not that I looked at every thread, though).

Thanks!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 cup sugar
1 cup salt
garlic, onion and basil to taste [ really heavy for me! a few tBSP]
a load of ice = about another gallon [ 7 pound bag]

I brine overnight and straight to smoker - no rinse
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
smcswain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Do I brine that long even for just individual chicken breasts? I thought maybe a few hours at most.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few hours will do it - I have done overnight on whole birds - many say this is too long, but I havent had an issue - you can scale down on the salt / sugar and go longer, or leave as is and go 4 hours or so - you will notice either way!
ONCE I did a huge batch overnight, going with way too much salt, and had a little ham like texture - it was actually kinda good!!...lol Embarassed
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
smcswain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! Thanks!
smcswain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended adding 1/2 cup table salt (we didn't have Kosher Crying or Very sad ), 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, and several sprigs of parsley in a little less than a gallon of water, then adding a big scoop of ice to bring the temp down faster and hopefully bring it up to a gallon even.

I just put the chicken breasts in 30 minutes ago, and I'm planning on taking them out after about 2-3 hours total.

Then, in an effort to get some crispy skin, I'm going to pat them dry and leave them in the fridge another few hours before applying rub and throwing on the smoker for an hour, then put them skin-side down directly over the coals for a few minutes to crisp up.

I'll post pics. Very Happy
smcswain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended adding 1/2 cup table salt (we didn't have Kosher Crying or Very sad ), 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, and several sprigs of parsley in a little less than a gallon of water, then adding a big scoop of ice to bring the temp down faster and hopefully bring it up to a gallon even.

I just put the chicken breasts in 30 minutes ago, and I'm planning on taking them out after about 2-3 hours total.

Then, in an effort to get some crispy skin, I'm going to pat them dry and leave them in the fridge another few hours before applying rub and throwing on the smoker for an hour, then put them skin-side down directly over the coals for a few minutes to crisp up.

I'll post pics. Very Happy
chilehead70301
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 11 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will get crispy skin on a smoker. It depends in the temp.
I usually smoke them then place on a gas grill at high heat or under broiler in your oven. I smoked some chicken wings last weekend and when i pulled them off the smoker, they went into the broiler until the skin was crispy. They were very good.
smcswain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 11 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd say things went pretty well. I ran the smoker between 300-345 the whole time. Put the chicken on the bottom grate, then put the sausages on the top grate about 20 minutes after the chicken. The sausages took about half an hour to get to 160. After I took them off, I basted the chicken with BBQ sauce and waited for them to get to 160. I probably would've been golden if I'd taken them off then... the skin looked pretty good. But I got greedy and took the middle part out of the WSM, put the grate directly over the coals, and flipped the chicken skin side down. Problem is I had to run inside to grab a plate, and by the time I got back out (like 30 seconds later), flames were already charring the skin. Not a big deal because I actually like a little char on things, and the end result still ended up pretty good. Even the charred skin tasted good. The chicken was awesome... really juicy with great flavor. The sausages were excellent, too, although I'd love to get that skin a little snappier, too.

Pretty happy with the results for such a quick smoking session... AND we've got leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

Which brings me to my other question... anybody know the best way to reheat a chicken breast without losing all that juicyness I worked so hard to get?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 11 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcswain, awesome job on the yard bird and sausage everything looks delicious. Very Happy The plate up looks fantastic. Nicely done my man. Very Happy
If you have a food saver vacuum those up and seal them then reheat them in boiling water. Or wrap them in foil and warm them up in the oven.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: