FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Bacon - Back bacon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelchef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 11:50 am    Post subject: Canadian Bacon - Back bacon Reply with quote

I have just begun curing four, one pound pork tenderloins by hand rubbing them with a buckboard bacon mixture. My questions are, how long should they be in the brine and how long should they be soaked before drying and smoking. Because they are tapered, one end being considerably smaller than the other, any suggestions are welcomed. I have considered cutting them in half and dealing with the curing time and soaking times differently but would appreciate any advice on the subject.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 11 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will end with one end cured more than the other. Just be prepared for it, IMO.
That is the thing about curing whole loins is can get them pretty even from end to the other.
IIRC correctly it is 1/4" per day is cured on both sides or 1/2" per day. So a typical center cut loin should be 3 days and tack an extra one on for good measure.
Rinse it fresh water for a few hours. Switching out the water every 30 minutes.
Dry em off and let the pellicle set up over night in the fridge. Then smoke em to at least 140°, prefer 150° for safety.
#3 LIAR
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 11 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done BB before and Oregon is correct.
BTW, isn't BB made with the loin or butt, and not the tenderloin?
I believe Harry told me to start them out at 120* for an hour, and increase temps by 10* per hour, not to exceed 175*, until internal temp of 152* is reached. Apply your smoke after IT of 140*. (usually about 4 hours left)
IIRC, they then go into an ice bath to stop the cooking process as fast as possible.
Air dry at room temp for a couple hours.
Then put 'em in the cooler/refrigerator overnight, unwrapped, to finish drying. Slice and enjoy.
Harry, where ya at? I can't find my notes. Embarassed

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
steelchef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 3:25 am    Post subject: Backbacon Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and brined them for about 3-1/2 days then soaked for an hour, washed well again and let dry for a couple hours. Smoked with apple and maple for about 12 hours. The small ends will be good for chili or something, the rest is awesome. Wifey is impressed and that's what I live for. Very Happy

LINK!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Backbacon Reply with quote

steelchef wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and brined them for about 3-1/2 days then soaked for an hour, washed well again and let dry for a couple hours. Smoked with apple and maple for about 12 hours. The small ends will be good for chili or something, the rest is awesome. Wifey is impressed and that's what I live for. Very Happy

Got a sliced picture?

That seems like an awfully long time. I get the smoker going and drop my loins on and it takes all of maybe 4 hours. And i usually am 25-30lbs at a time.
But if your happy with the results that is all that matters.
#3 LIAR
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your final internal temp?
What temp did you cook at?
12 hours seems a tad long to me too, especially with tenderloin.
Whatcha waitin' on, slice and review, we're hungry. Wink

You CAN get by with 140* but you have to cook it before eating. If ya go to 152* you can slice off a chunk and chow down.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
steelchef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My smoker is an old converted upright freezer with a twin hot plate for a heat source. I have a meat probe stuck in the upper part of the door, (through a grommet) not a particularly reliable reading. It got up to about 145F toward the end but most of the smoke time was at about 120. I’ve found that using maple and the fruit woods allows a longer, therefore deeper smoke flavour to penetrate the meat. It was just finished yesterday and is still waiting for me to get ambitious enough to slice and freeze it. We will cook it lightly before consuming. I did not check the internal temp. Based on experience with sausage and various woods, time and colour is my general guide.

LINK

LINK
steelchef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some of the finished product along with some smoked prime rib. I'm bad at remembering when to take photos. Come to think of it, remembering anything is iffy! Smile

LINK
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
steelchef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for breaking the rules. I used the same procedure as used on other forums and got a different result.
Message received and understood.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome looking meat! Great job![/i]

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: