FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Success with my first bacon experiment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 9:29 am    Post subject: Success with my first bacon experiment Reply with quote

I put a 4 lb belly in to cure last Wed. evening and let it go for 7 days in:
2 oz. Kosher salt
1 tsp. Cure #1
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. Maple syrup
I then used my new Pro Q smoker from Santa. I filled it with Sugar Maple from Smokenlicious.com and let it go for 4 hours. The sample pack that comes with the smoker is useless and not near as aromatic as the stuff I got from Smokenlicious.
Overall... I am happy with the outcome. Not salty at all, subtle maple flavor and a fuller flavor in general compared to store bought. My only disappointment was the cut of meat itself... VERY fatty.
For what I can get bellies for compared to premium fresh bacon from a butcher... I will definitely be doing this on a regular basis.
Thanks to those that advised me.

Last edited by Virginiasmoke on Tue Dec 28 10 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were those ratios for a brine, or a dry-cure?

if those were used in a dry cure, you are way heavy on Cure #1, a little over double the amount needed for that weight of meat if dry-cured.

It won't kill you, or make you sick, but if you continue and eat large amounts of meat cured with that much cure, and may cause some problems down the road.
I am not trying to be a "Richard Cranium" but you really need to be careful with cure amounts, too much and too little are both dangerous.
Where did that recipe come from?
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... fat fingers. I corrected the amount in my original post.
Thanks for watching out for me.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I have seen some recipes posted a week or so back that were unclear on ratios, and a few of them were excessive on cure, I thought you may have used one of those?

Making our own bacon is one of the greatest things to start with, it is quick, easy, and better than almost any product we can buy commercially.

Did you notice less shrinkage, and very little splattering on you bacon when cooked?

Commercial bacon is typically injected with cure, this creates a higher wight with the addition of the water in the cure, this also creates steam explosions and splattering when frying.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29 10 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a good simple cure recipie....has worked for me...but we do 5 or 6 slabs at a time..

we add in pickling spice, butchers pepper, etc....no sugar, etc....

good stuff...congrats.
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29 10 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe I used WAS heavy on the cure but you corrected me in another thread and I followed your advice.
I didn't notice less shrinking because I actually bake my bacon on a cooling rack over a sheet pan and I've noticed that doing that cuts down on shrink and obviously splattering. I then use the bacon grease to "fry" my pancakes.
I'm just happy to have premium, thick cut bacon supplied by ME at a pittance of a cost.
steelchef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginiasmoke wrote:
The recipe I used WAS heavy on the cure but you corrected me in another thread and I followed your advice.
I didn't notice less shrinking because I actually bake my bacon on a cooling rack over a sheet pan and I've noticed that doing that cuts down on shrink and obviously splattering. I then use the bacon grease to "fry" my pancakes.
I'm just happy to have premium, thick cut bacon supplied by ME at a pittance of a cost.

Thank you for a very informative post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: