FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickled Eggs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01 11 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damar12 wrote:
If ya really want to spike up a batch, use some liquid crab boil on em. It will get ya attention, very spicy and very good.

Thanks Damar12. I have to plead ignorance - what is liquid crab boil?

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02 11 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google it, you will understand. I use different brands. but Zataran's is good stuff.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02 11 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damar12 wrote:
Google it, you will understand. I use different brands. but Zataran's is good stuff.

Thanks, Damar12. That looks like good stuff! I have to get some. It might be tough to find in Canada, but I will search. I like making hot eggs, so the hotter the better! Embarassed

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29 11 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed this thread MacEggs,but I was reading a post and noticed the link in your signature and clicked on it.Great job on the eggs,I like pickled eggs alot ,now I might have to do up a couple dozen....nice assortment of flavors you have stockpiled. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30 11 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Great job on the eggs Very Happy

Thanks, CB! If you are interested, I also did some Smoked Eggs about a month and a half ago. It was my first attempt at this. I pickled a bunch of them, but I have yet to crack open a jar. Everyone who tries my "Steak N'eggs" flavour loves them. Brew up a dozen, or two, their awesome!

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maceggs,

First, Thanks for posting this, great info! I have made pickled eggs in the past (love em) but its been several years. Couple questions...

what is the purpose of the vinegar in the boiling part? (does it make the shells come off easier? I always used salt to boil the eggs was supposed to make peeling easier).

Why do you have to use ones that have been in the fridge a couple weeks? Your post inspired me to make some more so I boiled up a bunch of eggs today and have them peeled and ready to go to finish when I get off work later today (I work evening shift)

Ever thought of using red wine vinegar? Great flavor.

Dave
DPP Clone Build in progress: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65139&start=0
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 11 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got me a couple nice jars of these beauties today but damn if I didnt forget them at work..!!

Thanks Mark.
LIAR #100
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 11 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto5man wrote:
Hi Maceggs,

First, Thanks for posting this, great info! I have made pickled eggs in the past (love em) but its been several years. Couple questions...

what is the purpose of the vinegar in the boiling part? (does it make the shells come off easier? I always used salt to boil the eggs was supposed to make peeling easier).

Why do you have to use ones that have been in the fridge a couple weeks? Your post inspired me to make some more so I boiled up a bunch of eggs today and have them peeled and ready to go to finish when I get off work later today (I work evening shift)

Ever thought of using red wine vinegar? Great flavor.

Dave

Thanks auto5man!
I'm not quite sure of all the science behind my egg "madness"?

The vinegar in the boiling process helps as does salt.
I believe the piercing helps a lot as well IMO - perhaps even more.

When I first started making pickled eggs, I would purchase some eggs, boil them up, and try peeling them. It was frustrating to say the least. Many people I spoke to, including some older folks, and some farm folks said do not use fresh eggs. Even some sites on the interWeb said so as well. So I gave it a try.
Leaving the eggs at room temperature for 1-2 hours seems to help as well.

As far as the red wine vinegar, I have never tried it with eggs - that would be interesting! Keep me posted as to how they turn out.

roxy wrote:
Got me a couple nice jars of these beauties today but damn if I didnt forget them at work..!!

Thanks Mark.

You're welcome Roxy!
Dude, now you have even more of a reason to go back to work!
Not that you needed one, you know, surrounded by meat, pickled eggs, and all the cottage goers!! Cool Wink

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 11 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maceggs,

I will try whatever I can to make the peeling process easier. The batch I made yesterday was VERY tedious to peel. Took about 30 minutes to peel about 30 eggs. Some of the eggs were easier than others while some were downright difficult. Maybe it had something to do with the age of the eggs, b/c my eggs were all mixed together in the fridge, some just bought, some had been there for several weeks. Next time I will try the room temp for two hours thing.

As far as the redwine vinegar....having done this in past batches I can definitely recommend it...great flavor and color on the eggs. I'll take a couple pics and try and post them soon.

Oh, I forgot to ask you about piercing the yolk with the tooth pick and the theory behind that...is it to let the brine/spices get to the yolk or for some other purpose?
DPP Clone Build in progress: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65139&start=0
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 11 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacEggs, Here is a pic of my small batch I did yesterday using the redwine vinegar. I used your brine recipe for 4 dozen eggs: 1200ml vinegar/600ml water/fourth cup salt/2tsp sugar. For the vinegar I mixed equal parts of white and red wine vinegar (both 5% acidity. so far I have not been able to find any 7% acidity vinegar here locally) to total the 1200ml. Jar on the left is serrano chili peppers blanched and brine, middle is 2 tbsp's mixed ground peppers, and the jar on the right is 2 tbsps of my HOTTEST hot sauce called "100% Pain"(and that is truly what it is, painful. (A concoction of crushed habaneros and vinegar and it is so hot I rarely use it).

Anyway, I hope you don't feel like I'm hijacking your thread....I'm paying homage to you. Thanks for posting this and inspiring me to make some pickled eggs again. Also this thread will be great reference material for anyone wanting to try this delicacy. When I have google "pickled eggs" in the past not much practical info came up, so this is great!

MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 11 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, auto5man, fantastic pic!

Send me the hot ones if you can't eat them, I love 'em!Exclamation Laughing
The hot ones that I make with Scotch Bonnets are nice and hot.
I try to let hot eggs age at least 4 months before cracking them open.
Sometimes I will eat an egg with one of the pickled peppers - chew it up real good!
I feel it the next day Embarassed

auto5man wrote:
Oh, I forgot to ask you about piercing the yolk with the tooth pick and the theory behind that...is it to let the brine/spices get to the yolk or for some other purpose?

That's the theory, and IMO it seems to work Wink
Give it a try!

By no means are you hijacking this thread.
I enjoy seeing pictures and hearing about different flavours and techniques that ringers have tried.

Thanks for sharing.

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacEggs,

Another question about spices. I got some of the Zataran's Liquid Crab boil and am curious how much to use. I know you havn't used it before but you have plenty of experience trying out different spices. The crab boil is pretty hot, when you dip a finger in and touch to the tongue it starts a nice burn. Do you think 2 tablespoons per dozen is the right amount or too much heat?
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto5man wrote:
Another question about spices. I got some of the Zataran's Liquid Crab boil and am curious how much to use. I know you havn't used it before but you have plenty of experience trying out different spices. The crab boil is pretty hot, when you dip a finger in and touch to the tongue it starts a nice burn. Do you think 2 tablespoons per dozen is the right amount or too much heat?

Ah man, I gotta get me some of that stuff!! Not sure where to find it in Canada. I will have to search.
I don't make pickled eggs in the warm months, as we have so few of them in the GWN.

I have never tried Liquid Crab Boil, but 2, maybe 3 tablespoons max, and then go from there.
It's your call. Or do a dozen with 2, and a dozen with 4? Find a happy medium. Wink
Experimentation is key.

auto5man, please keep me posted as to how it turns out with the LCB.
If it's easier to make hot eggs with the LCB, then I will use the peppers for other stuff.

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
2rowdy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21 11 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh eggs, straight outta the chicken. The shells are much thinner and will crack very easy. After a week or two in the fridge the toughen up.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21 11 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropped a bunch of these in some red skin tater salad..!!!

I used the smoked in the shell ones you gave me.. OMG they are good dude. Shocked
LIAR #100
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22 11 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacEggs, I will be happy to send you some of the crab boil in the mail, just pm me your address.

2rowdy, I'm going to be trying the fresh egg thing soon. I started a new project over the last week....CHICKENS! I have six 2 week old chicks and if all goes well I'll be trying your fresh egg theory in a few months.

Roxy, how easily do the smoked eggs peel ?(think about it from a peeling several dozen at once perspective)
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23 11 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, I tried a little experiment this morning with the goal of making peeling easier: the ones I did last week the peeling task was so laborious it was enough to make me think twice about another batch. This mornings eggs went so much easier. I used MacEggs tips, pricking the fat end, boiling process, etc. Bought eggs last night after work, let them sit out overnight then used vinegar (bout 1/4 cup) but also added salt as well maybe an 1/8 cup to the dozen I boiled. I did not ice them per say, just ran cool water several exchanges into the pot, then I peeled them still warm. The last batch I did that was very difficult to peel, I didn't peel them until the next day and I think that was the problem. Today's batch was EASY by comparison, the membrane between the shell and egg seemed almost "slick" and came off very easily, took no time to peel one dozen. Today's batch was... 1)for the purpose of (hopefully) making the peeling process easier, and 2)to try the crab boil as spice in the pickling brine. (Success on the peeling) I'll try and post a pic or two soon.

Hope posting all these little details not irritating...if for nothing else I can refer to this thread in the future as notes b/c I may forget what I've learned if several months goes by before the next batch...my memory sux Crying or Very sad
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23 11 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey auto5man, it's great to see that you are experimenting!
That's how I did it.
I know that 2rowdy said "fresh eggs, straight outta the chicken",
and I have always been of the belief, "whatever works for you, then do it".
Give it a try.

Here is the thread when I did some smoked eggs in March of this year.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48864

I tried a few different things with the smoked eggs.
I actually like the smoked eggs that had been boiled and peeled prior to going in the smoker.
I pickled a few of these ones, I had one yesterday, and I like it a lot.
The ones that were raw and smoked in the shell did not get any smoke flavour to speak of.
I gave Roxy a jar of the smoked in shell ones with the steak spice added.
I think he likes 'em!Exclamation

Thank you for the offer on sending me some LCB.
I dropped a note to Zatarain's to see if they ship to Canada. Still waiting.
I may take you up on your offer. Very Happy

I took lots of notes when I first began my egg journey.
It helped with consistency when it came to different flavours.
As well as the egg peeling nightmares that I first encountered.

The cookers (so far).
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23 11 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto5man wrote:
MacEggs, I will be happy to send you some of the crab boil in the mail, just pm me your address.

2rowdy, I'm going to be trying the fresh egg thing soon. I started a new project over the last week....CHICKENS! I have six 2 week old chicks and if all goes well I'll be trying your fresh egg theory in a few months.

Roxy, how easily do the smoked eggs peel ?(think about it from a peeling several dozen at once perspective)

I couldn't tell ya as MacEggs was kind enough to give me a jar of em..
LIAR #100
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23 11 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to ask ya where ya buy that liquid stink you use with these eggs..

Dang, after eating 3 or 4 I can barely live with myself.. Laughing
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: