FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salmon using the "Charcuterie" recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22 11 7:47 am    Post subject: Salmon using the "Charcuterie" recipe Reply with quote

So i got the pink salt today and i have a nice chunk of salmon to do this. I dont care the spices in the recipe and was going to pack everything with some dill on top and use my own spice blend other than that i was going to follow the recipe and method to a t.
Anyone see any problems with this?
Thanks!
#3 LIAR

Last edited by Oregon smoker on Tue Mar 22 11 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22 11 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just make sure that your ratio of salt and cure is correct, all other ingredients should be modified to fit your own tastes IMO.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22 11 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I would just make sure that your ratio of salt and cure is correct, all other ingredients should be modified to fit your own tastes IMO.

Got it. I didnt change the salt and Cure #1 amounts.

So while i have your attention Harry. I am looking at the recipe for CB in the book and he says to use 1.5 oz of Cure #1 in a brine, then says to use a 4lb loin. That seems excessive to me, but is higher then normal due to the fact that its a brine rather than a dry cure?
#3 LIAR
billr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18 11 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oregon smoker"]
Harry Nutczak wrote:
So while i have your attention Harry. I am looking at the recipe for CB in the book and he says to use 1.5 oz of Cure #1 in a brine, then says to use a 4lb loin. That seems excessive to me, but is higher then normal due to the fact that its a brine rather than a dry cure?

I think that's why. When you put the dry cure on, the only solution the salt can go into is what gets pulled out of the meat. So it's pretty concentrated with even a little salt.

Incidentally, I've made a lot of stuff from that book, and the bacon in particular calls for too much pink salt I think. I use about 3/4 what he mentions for the dry cures. The wet cures I follow as directed.

BTW, Ruhlman has a pretty good web site: http://ruhlman.com If you email him with questions, he'll actually write you back, too.[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: