FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some prime rib and a tenderloin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 11:39 am    Post subject: Some prime rib and a tenderloin Reply with quote

Well I got me a bit of prime rib and a nice tenderloin today. I was wondering if all you guys could help me out with some advice on the best way to smoke the prime rib including temps and prefered wood for smoke, rubs etc. I think I will have a few shots at getting it right with this beauty so I am looking forward to all the input.

I will have to age the meat as it was butchered yesterday. I think I go with three weeks wet and a few days dry. I wont be smoking the tenderloin as I have other plans for that... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Mr. Green

LIAR #100
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 8:04 pm    Post subject: Prime Rib Reply with quote

How Nice!
With a cut of beef like that you can't go wrong!
I do agree that aging is the real secret to getting the prime to it's most tender state. I have always aged my prime for 5 days in the fridge with paper towels under the roast to pick up the drainage.
After aging I then cover it thourghly with canola oil then a heavy coat of kosher salt and off to the cooker for a few hours. To me, a fine prime is not in need of much else. Although I am a fan of au jus or a beef gravy on the plate.
I'll watch this topic for a while to see what good ideas you come up with.
Man, I'm hungry.... Smile

Weldon
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks weldon, Your right that with great meat the simplier the better. I have never smoked a prime rib, cooked a few in the oven so...

So when you said aged for 5 days, is that 5 extra days after the aging the butcher does or just 5 day...???

This meat is not aged at all so if any one has experience aging meat tips would be excellent.

I had a peek in at the beef when I got up this morning, I was dreaming of beef all night.. Wink
LIAR #100
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29 06 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My butcher cuts the prime rib from a quarter section that he has let hang for several days before he cuts it for me. Come to think of it, I've never asked him how long he has it hanging before he cuts it.
Incidentally, the last 2 primes I did on the smoker I used hickory for one and mesquite on the other. I can't decide which one I liked better....may need further research on that. Smile

Weldon
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29 06 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Weldon, I was a thinking of which wood to use. Beef can stand a bit stronger wood flavour. I can get chunk hickory and mesquite from a BBQ shop in town, just kinda pricey, but hey, go whole hog or go home, right..?
LIAR #100
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30 06 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh Roxy
ya best send me that prime rib it looks bad to me. Of course i`ll dispose of it properly. Know what they say "when in dought through it ...to Jeff T"
Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30 06 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing when I layed my eyes on it.. You should a seen me when I got it home, I was singing to it and we watched some tv together. My wife put her foot down and said I couldnt take it to bed with me... Crying or Very sad Embarassed Sad
Hey ya know I love ya like a brother Jeffy, but I dont even like my own brother that much. I will be sending him pictures when I'm done.. Wink
LIAR #100
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30 06 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08 06 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often dry-age prime ribs for holiday feasts. It can be done in your fridge. Cover the meat completely in a clean towel (dishtowel if you have a smaller roast, old clean bathtowel if you've got half the steer) and place it in the middle shelf in the back of your fridge. Change the towel every day until you have a towel free of blood (5-7 days).

I've grill-raosted them but never seen the need to smoke them. THe taste of prime rib is fantastic by itself. Rub it down with veggie oil and season liberally with kosher salt and ground pepper. Roast it ina 200 degree oven or pit until the internal temp at the thickest part reaches 138 for medium rare, 148 for medium or 158 for well (ugh). Allow it to rest tented for 20-25 minutes before carving. To carve, use an electric knife and follow the bones, removing them from the roast. Then slice the roast appropriately for the crowd you're serving. Generally, I make a meal out of the bones by themselves and then save what's left of them for my pal's black Lab.

I have such a teeny oven in this rental house that I often use the pit to roast meat simply because I need the oven for other dishes or breads. Never had a problem with it, and my guests rave.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 06 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orson:

You can cook them how ever you wish but for me and every one I have served the smoked prime rib too, we all think its just the best hunk of meat we have ever eaten.

I smoked another one this past weekend for company and every one raved as well about the meat at the dinner table.

So, to each their own I would guess. You can roast yours, I'll be smokin mine. Wink
LIAR #100
walters
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 06 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really sounds good!!

Let me make sure I am clear. Simply age the prime rib for 5-7 days covered with a towel. Rub with oil, salt and pepper. And then smoke or roast at 200-225 degrees until it reaches the desired internal temp??

How does prime rib do with a higher temp cook?

Is this all there is to cooking a good prime rib?

Thanks,

Robb
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 06 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do a bit more for flavour than salt and pepper but there is nothing wrong with less flavouring. I also smoke at a higher temp than 225. The one I did on the weekend was averaged at 250 with a couple of spikes just over 300 degrees.

Prime rib in of itself is the best beef you can get. It is tender and flavourful. As long as you cook it to the temp you desire it is hard to mess it up.
LIAR #100
walters
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 06 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy-

What do you season your PR with?

I make a rub that goes pretty good with anything; I imagine it might do ok on PR.

One more question...

What kind of texture/consistancy does smoked PR have? My wife won't touch it if it has even the slightest bit of mushiness to it. I think she even considers extremely tender to be mushy. Rolling Eyes What kind of texture/consistancy do you think a Med/Well PR would have. Med/Well is the way the rest of the family likes it.

Thanks,

Robb
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 06 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter:

I would not say it was mushy in the least. I cooked it to med/well done with just a bit of pink left and it was firm but fork tender. The rub I used was equal parts ground Montreal steak spice and cajan seasoning with a bit of dried rubbed oregano, basil, and thyme added.

Heres a link of how I did it up.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5493
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: