FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malcrow's short ribs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malcrow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 2:35 am    Post subject: Malcrow's short ribs. Reply with quote

I recently did short ribs using some of the information found on this forum.

Here is my results:

I bought the short ribs from Sam's Club. I cooked 6 pieces basically 2 for each family member.

The rub was made using steak seasoning, garlic salt, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, minced dried onion. Basically everything we thought that might be good. We grounded it all together to make some of the big stuff a little finer.

I then put Extra virgin olive oil and White vinegar on the pieces. I then rubbed the meat and allowed it to sit for about 30-45 min.

I then pulled out the smoker and got ever thing all up and running. I used mesquite chips and Jack Daniels oak chips. (about 50/50 mix)

I cooked the ribs at 200 to 230 degrees for 2 hours and 15 min. (I am no expert but can you buy short ribs as one piece?) I assumed you could and because mine were cut apart I used a lot less cooking time. I did however lay the ribs so that the fatty edge was at the top. Basically the same way you cook a brisket. I also placed the ribs right next to each other to make as close to one piece as possible.

After smoking I then wrapped the ribs in foil and poured in about half a beer. I loosely covered the top and placed it back on the smoker for 15-20 min.

I then brought the ribs to the table and uncovered them to give them a chance to rest.

My family loved them they had a good smoky taste and were very tender. I have to say this is one experiment that worked great on the first try. I did want to sauce them but we were all out and I realized this way too late. But next time I think we will put some bbq sauce on them.

Any comments or suggestions?

Char-griller with SFB
Vermont Casting gas grill (best gas grill I have ever owned.)
Malcrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13 06 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the other day I took the rest of the short ribs (I only cooked half last time)

I smoked them in much the same way but I used a lot more mesquite than oak this time.

I also did not foil them this time and they were just as good and seemed to have a much better smoke flavor.

Char-griller with SFB
Vermont Casting gas grill (best gas grill I have ever owned.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: