FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Pride electric smokers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazysmokin'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 9:50 am    Post subject: Southern Pride electric smokers? Reply with quote

I was just browsing eBay and noticed a couple used electric Southern Pride restaurant smokers (DH-65, SC-200). I know that Southern Pride only makes top quality smokers, but are these restaurant units really that much better than the electric models offered by Cookshack or SmokinTex?

They seem to be made on the same principle, except that the Southern Pride units offer convection cooking/smoking and separate heating elements that allow for cold smoking. Both of which are features I've never seen on residential electric smokers before. Does anyone here have any information on these smokers?
Get Your Rub On BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find all the info on these through this link.
http://www.southern-pride.com/p/pits_electric.php
Lazysmokin'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all of that information before though I appreciate the link. I was just looking for someone's first hand opinion on these units, but I can't find anyone online that owns one.
Lazysmokin'

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly bump. It seems that most Chiliís restaurants are upgrading their smokers so that's why a few of these are popping up on eBay.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a SC200. It works. Never been real happy with the smoke level from it. It is mostly used for cheese, and as a proofing box for bread. If my wood guy is running behind or the weather is real bad, we will use it for our smoked chicken and brisket. I prefer using our wood fired upright.

I will say the heat is real even thanks to the convection, and it stays at the temp you set. Just not a lot of smoke flavor. We've used chips and chunks soaked and unsoaked always the same result.
Lazysmokin'

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just what I was wanting to know about these kinds of smokers. Thanks buddy.
Swoff1

PostPosted: Mon May 30 16 12:59 am    Post subject: Electric smoker smoke Reply with quote

Looks like it's been awhile. Have you mastered the southern pride smoke chef yet? I have a DH-65 with a steam switch cutoff. First couple of smokes where just as you have describe. Low on the smoke. Gonna keep trying , probably gonna order an extra smoke box. Anyone else have this thing mastered?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: