FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borders Bookstore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 9:14 pm    Post subject: Borders Bookstore Reply with quote

Sadly, the Borders bookstore here in town is closing. I usually buy books online but I love going to Borders to churn through their section of discounted cookbooks (some as low as $2!). So, over the last six weeks they have been offering everything 50-70% off....for a book lover like me it was too good not to pass up.

So I have probably made four trips there in the recent past always coming out with something. The most I paid for a cookbook was at least 50% off! Yehaaaaaaa! Should keep me busy for a while!

--jeepdad

Five bucks!

Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 11 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of stuff too. When I was staying with a friend in Austin, there was one within walking distance. Made the mistake of walking there and buying stuff. That meant I had to walk back with all those books. When I got back to Colorado, I was gonna see what they had left but it turns out that the one nearby isn't closing.

I was reading one last night The KCBS Cookbook, and noticed a blurb about Feeding Friendz cook team. They were sitting next to me at the JOS school, a really nice couple. I'll post up pics when I get a chance.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 11 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice take.. I noticed the fig book... I love figs.. such a healthy snack, and so sweet when they're ripe... wish the rest of the family liked them as much as I do..
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 11 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ATK books are very good. I have the New Best Recipe in my collection and I refer to it often. Shirley Corriher is often on Good Eats as the food anthropologist. A couple of those I'd like to just sit down and read. Borders is closing here too, but there isn't one close enough to me to make the trip worthwhile. Looks like you made some good scores.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 11 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an avid reader - and not ready to commit to the likes of eBooks (ok, I'm old, and I enjoy holding an actual book) I'm afraid that Borders as a going concern is on Death Row. When I go to my local Borders, I notice fewer and fewer peeps there with each passing year.

It ain't looking good, that's for sure...

Cheers anyway!
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 11 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocko-la, yep, I wished this store wasn't closing but there is an other about ten miles away that is staying open...for now anyway.

tinovr, yea, it has some nice recipes not just figs.

BigOrson, yep the nightstand beside the bed is getting weighed down!

day_trippr, yep, I read an article that said Borders was late to the e-book game as well as they farmed their book sales out to Amazon instead of their own stand alone site....killed'em. Anyone that spent time in their store knew they couldn't last with the prices they charged.
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very jealous on the McGee book, Bayliss book and wood fired book. Let me know how those are.
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 McGee book
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to the Borders near my office too late, they had already sold all the cook books, all the computer books, and anything I would have bought. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Laughing

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: