FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you freeze bacon during the cure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestTnbum
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 11 10:56 am    Post subject: Can you freeze bacon during the cure? Reply with quote

All,
I started some Buck Board Bacon on the 12th and was set to wash it on the 25th. I just found out that I will have to be out of town starting the 24th for two weeks. I used Hi Mountain cure and have cut the butt in to 6 slabs that are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, they are vacuumed sealed right now. Can I just freeze them and take them out when I get back? Just trying to figure out how not to lose 11# of bacon.
Danny
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 11 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes... I'd be complaining about them pinching in the toes!

12th to the 25th is 13 days, I like an 8 day cure, so you have 5 days to smoke it, if you go with a 10 day cure you still have 3 days to smoke it.

Some folks go with the full 14 days but I don't, and I like a day to wash and dry, so you still have between 2 and 4 days.

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
WestTnbum
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18 11 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Soezzy I was hoping that I could just wash it a couple days early and then smoke it before I head out of town.
Danny
zxcvbob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to freeze them, then pick up where you left off later. The curing stops when the meat is frozen. Freezing/thawing can't be good for it, but it's not going to spoil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: