FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restaurant - Outdoor Smoking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 5:18 am    Post subject: Restaurant - Outdoor Smoking Reply with quote

I'm finally getting close to getting my own BBQ joint, serving breakfast lunch & dinner. (If you call, 6 to 8 months close) I'm negotiating with realtors now.

For me, best option is to get a Southern Pride Smoker mounted on a trailer. Because I would be able to use it at the BBQ joint and be able to use it for off site catering.

Just thought I'd ask here first, what are your experiences with dealing with the HD in using a moble Smoker, (ie... Southern Pride) for smoking meats OUTSIDE of a BBQ establishment and serving the food inside?

Any help will be appreciated before I confront the HD.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
Up Graded Backwoods Party w/GURU
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forkin, best advice is to call your state or county HD BEFORE spending any cash. Do it first as anonymous, if you don't want them to know who you are.

All states are different. Here in MO, he11, each county is different. I vend in 4 counties and have had to kiss arse in each one.

It may be different for a brick and mortar, but here it is worse.
JM2C
YMMV

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Restaurant - Outdoor Smoking Reply with quote

Forkin Pork wrote:
I'm finally getting close to getting my own BBQ joint, serving breakfast lunch & dinner. (If you call, 6 to 8 months close) I'm negotiating with realtors now.

For me, best option is to get a Southern Pride Smoker mounted on a trailer. Because I would be able to use it at the BBQ joint and be able to use it for off site catering.

Just thought I'd ask here first, what are your experiences with dealing with the HD in using a moble Smoker, (ie... Southern Pride) for smoking meats OUTSIDE of a BBQ establishment and serving the food inside?

Any help will be appreciated before I confront the HD.

What works in a rural community in the south will not work in Stamford CT. I bet you HD will not let you do what you intend...

If you set up so you could back the trailer into an area that is protected and directly adjacent to the kitchen, you might be able to make that work...
Weber 22" Kettle
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you set up so you could back the trailer into an area that is protected and directly adjacent to the kitchen, you might be able to make that work...

Jeff thanks for that reply......

Can you maybe clearifify what you mean by a protected area and directly adjacent to the kitchen.
I'm with you on this subject and I do undrtstand, just like to hear it from the oros.
Thanj you Buddy

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyG and Qfanatic have been going through all kinds of hell with their HD inspectors, even though there are no laws against doing exactly what you want to do, and it is legal and encouraged under the federal food code. and I even got the go ahead from a different county in Minnesota, their inspectors say a big fat NO.

I am allowed to have my cooker outside at my place, that is not to say I did not meet some tough resistance at first! My inspector was being very difficult until I said "Show me the statute that says that I cannot do this! You are tasked to enforce laws, not invent them on your own, if you think it should not be allowed, talk to a legislator and have them introduce a bill to make a law against it"
He stood there a little dumbfounded at first, and then we went through my cooking and sanitation process to see if there were any deficiencies, or plausible sanitation issues and he was then fine with the plan, and I even see him for lunch at least once a month now.

I had too much invested to not be able to have my cooker outside of my kitchen we he challenged the plan, I had nothing to lose at that point, so that is why I got as bold as I did with him.

It turns out, he thought I wanted to cook on an open grill outside with no roof over my head, he did not know what a BBQ pit was, or how they worked. Once he saw what I was referring to, it got real easy.

So do not expect an inspector to instantly know everything, do the research for your state/county first, and I can send you the federal food code guidelines for "permanent outdoor cooking establishment" if you want to read through it to educate yourself better. It is also available online at FDA.gov
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't hurt to copy some "ebay type pictures of what type of rig your thinking, of so they can look and say oh that's what your talking about.
As far as the a protected area and directly adjacent to the kitchen.
think screened carport where the trailer is parked and you would open the door from the kitchen and be right at the trailer without being outside.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry & Daddy.........
That's the kind of information I was looking for, thank you. I will read up on the guidelines, download the specs on the rig I'm thinking on get and will draw up some plans for a screened in carport and we'll give it try. Thanks everyone.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not required to have a roof, or a screened in area, My hd rep's only concern was that when I removed the meat, it went directly into my kitchen, and if it was windy, I have the meat in a covered container for the 3-step trip to the kitchen.

My cooker is in front of my place, it is not hiding out back someplace. It is a huge draw for business when they see and smell the cooker, and see us loading and unloading it.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 11 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking here makes no difference as to what will be required of you. Ask your health department...they will tell you. The HD is there to help.

Each state has different laws...so gathering opinions from across the country does you no good.

In both NC & SC I would be required to have a specific room built 'outside' to house the smoker. In NC my HD inspector always questioned the storage of my trailered pit on the same property as my restaurant. I always had to explain that it was used only for off site cooking and that I did not cook food on it for sale inside the restaurant.

In both states a pit room consists of the same basic features...cleanable floors, walls, & ceiling, ventilation, floor drains, and dedicated hand sink. You could not process any food in this room unless it was able to pass inspection as a kitchen facility. All I could do was transfer food to and from the pit. That is all.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 11 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every area is different.

As Gunny (and all the others) stated, get a plan review done before spending ANY $$$$.

For me, a screened in cook area is permitted with the HD.

For my city, they also want a hood w/fire suppression over a steel cooker and metal roof! Mad

Although in the county the hood and suppression isn't required! Confused

Minnesota doesn't allow anything but NSF cookers.

Here, that isn't a requirement.

Your first plan of action with any endeavor involving regulatory oversight is a plan review.

The rest of us are only guessing (literally) as to what the requirement will, and won't be for Connecticut- and your county/city in particular.

I sure wish the rules were uniform throughout the country, but they are not.

On the other hand, some of the requirements I've heard of elsewhere are just plain ridiculous.

That being said, I'll deal with my own rules and be happy.

Good luck with it.......................
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 11 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Asking here makes no difference as to what will be required of you. Ask your health department...they will tell you. The HD is there to help.

Jay beat me to it as I was typing! Razz

Yupp, what he said (again).
Get Your Rub On BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27 11 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went this route with my trailer and smoker. I prep/load/unload product from inside the trailer where I have a full plumbing package 3 bay/hand wash and all.

Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27 11 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand each and every one of you. The bottom line being, every state and county is different.
Great advice, thanks all.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: