FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cookshack Fast Eddy 500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktdavis
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 12:22 am    Post subject: Cookshack Fast Eddy 500 Reply with quote

Hi, to all, this is my first post.

I am looking to get into a little cooking as a side to my regular job. Not because I need the money, but because I enjoy smoking meat. I have been doing it on many different back porch smokers, converted tank smokers, and a few dug out pits, for probably close to 30 years, and think it may be a good way to make a few bucks doing something I enjoy.

I have been reading here for a few weeks, and did a lot of searching cookers, among other things, and have found this to be a great source of information. Enough rattling on, here are my questions.

1. Anyone here use the Fast Eddy 500? I am not interested in starting an argument, like I saw in some other pellet smoker posts. I am just interested in pros, and cons, and would prefer responses from people experienced in pellet cookers. I hear you do not get as much smoke flavor, is this true? Reliability?

2. Cadillac cookers 4860 rotisserie with temp controller. Anyone here use one of these, or similar? Pros, and cons? Reliability? With medium usage how long do motors on rotisseries last?

3. Lang 84 deluxe warmer. I am sure there are a lot of these being used here. Pros and cons? I know this would be the most reliable, no moving parts.

Due to various reasons, location, etc., these are the three I am considering. I know these are all different styles of cookers, and that is why I am asking, I want to make the best decision I can. I also know the price difference, and as of right now, that is not a consideration. However, cost to use and maintain may be a consideration

Again, please no flaming anyone's equipment, or arguing what makes "real BBQ", and thanks in advance for any advice.

Kevin

EDITED:

Sorry, I forgot to provide what I would be doing with it. Starting out, I will probably be doing events, PP, and brisket, maybe a little chicken, then I may move into catering as I get my technique, and timing down.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does your local hd say about NSF or not, I know we need an NSF smoker here in Minnesota

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
ktdavis
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt,

Thanks for the response!

My understanding is no in KY, but I am getting ready to schedule a day off work to have a sit down with the HD. At this point I don't think so. Maybe someone here will chime in?

I know this can change everything if NSF is required, but when I go to any of these three websites, I don't see NSF certified for any of the cookers.

I see you show a FEC100 in your signature, so I would assume that is a Fast Eddy's Cookshack 100, so it must be NSF approved cooker? I don't see it on their website?

Thanks,
Kevin
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktdavis wrote:
Kurt,

Thanks for the response!

My understanding is no in KY, but I am getting ready to schedule a day off work to have a sit down with the HD. At this point I don't think so. Maybe someone here will chime in?

I know this can change everything if NSF is required, but when I go to any of these three websites, I don't see NSF certified for any of the cookers.

I see you show a FEC100 in your signature, so I would assume that is a Fast Eddy's Cookshack 100, so it must be NSF approved cooker? I don't see it on their website?

Thanks,
Kevin

yes the FEC's are NSF rated

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Get Your Rub On BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Southern Pride? Very dependable and solid.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 11 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have used a 500 lots of times. Reliability? Those I know that have them have never complained of any reliability issues. Obviously I'm a PelletHead. Have 3 FEC 100's and a 500/750 waiting for me, I just have no place to put one right now. I used a 300 last year to cook 5 straight days, on the whole time, cooking swine hockens at an Oktoberfest. Remarks were they were the best ever.

The "smoke" issue is more the FEC100.

The 500 has two burners and puts out plenty of smoke flavor. The 750 has three burners. You'll just need to find the flavor (pellets) to match what you want.

Any specific questions. Obviously the rotisseries is a great option, regardless of whatever brand/model you buy.

Ask away I'll try to help.
ktdavis
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14 11 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie

Thanks for the info. I think where I read about the lack of smoke was the small Traeger (sp), so I didn't know if that was a pellet smoker thing or what? I was assuming that since it was similar to the pellet furnaces it burned a small amount of pellets so hot there was not much smoke. I love the idea of being able to blend the different pellets to get the flavor you like.

BBQ Rub

I am actually looking at a used SPK-500SL that is for sale nearby.

Kurt, Thanks

Kevin
Stacked smoker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14 11 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned on a lang 84 delux with a warmer. I liked it so much I bought one. I would look into if you need the NSF rating. With that said ill speak my peace on the lang. I have not used any of the other smokers mentioned so I cant comment for or against them. The lang is easy to use and is very forgiving. I have done chicken, fish, ribs, PP, brisket and a whole hog in it with great success. It is built well and have had no problems to speak of with it. If you do get one get the warmer. It is a huge help when catering or for parties. Its nice to have multiple heat zones to use at the same time. Really helps like when I did a whole hog I had extra room for beans and chicken without loosing all the heat when I opened up the main doors. I hope this helps Im kinda biased towards the lang because it is all that I have used for a smoker of that size. If you have any more questions fire away. Caleb
Lang 84 deluxe
Twin stacked reverse flow cheese smoker
Weber grill
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14 11 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with smoke flavor isn't the amount of pellets, but that they pellet smokers (most, not all) tend to burn a cleaner smoke, more blue/clear smoke.

Whatever brand you decided, check with some actual owners and get their comments. There's probably not a wrong answer, just more that you need to find one that fits your needs.
ktdavis
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15 11 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacked,

The Lang was my first choice, but it would be a 1600 mile round trip to pick up, so I started looking closer to home. I got to looking, and really liked the looks of the Cadillac 4860. With the stackable rotisserie trays, it will do 100 butts, so I thought a few bucks now might save me an upgrade later. Also add the temperature controller, and for about 6 grand, it sounds like a really nice rig.

Okie,

I agree about there probably not being a wrong answer, I am just looking for all the information I can get before I make my move. The only uncertainty I really had is the pellet smoker.

Thanks everyone for the information.
Kevin
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 11 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT,

I feel it really depends on what you want to get out of your smoker. A one size fits all aproach may not work in the long run. Take a look at what you hope your business needs will be and try and pick the one which works best. For large cooks the FEC500 will go for 24 hours without having at tend it at all.

Being able to sleep at night may mean something to you in the long run. It will hold temp around 2 degrees at any time. But using it as a hog cooker would require a little work on your own, that's not it's designed use.

Smoke flavor, many have won on these units. Most don't use a 500, it's just over kill for a comp. But the flavor is the same as those who win with it week in and out.

RandyE
CHoov

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT,

Did you pick one out yet? I am in the market for a similar smoker as well
ktdavis
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyE,

"Being able to sleep at night may mean something to you in the long run." That is exactly what caught my attention with the pellet smokers. Set it and forget it. I have never been around a pellet smoker, and had just read a few things, (both good and bad) that made me want to get more info. I don't believe everything I read on the internet, so I go with the consensus.

CHoov,
No, I haven't done it yet, but this is what I am leaning toward (see link). I may not go with the front stove top burners, they look a little light on the BTUs, but still would be nice. I would also have them add the temperature controller, which would help with having to not tend it as much. I am still hoping for some good, (or bad) feedback here.

I have seen some "new" cookers, that look like they were built from a piece of scrap steel, by a first time welder after a trip to the local hardware store. I cant remember if I read it here, or elsewhere, but first impressions of your cooker, both from customers, and the local HD are huge. Then to keep the customers coming back you have to serve awesome food. I chose the three cookers listed above as a starting point, because they all seem to be high quality, not that there are not better quality cookers available, but I just took a shining to these. The one in the link seems versatile, and looks to be well built. I have not seen one personally, so I may be all wet in my opinion, that is why I am here. Later I hope I am here discussing my success!

LINK

Kevin
CHoov

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, let us know when you pull the trigger!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that no one has said is,how easy is it to get pellets?is shipping going to kill you?
I my self would like a gravity feed smoker as my next.
this is a nice smoker for the money your thinking to and would be very happy with.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ole-Hickory-Smoker-EB-IB-TRAILER-/250778047416?pt=BI_Commercial_Ovens_Ranges&hash=item3a638953b8
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25 11 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever cooker you go with. You will be making a mistake if you don't go and see them work. Taking someone elses word will get you into big trouble.

Old Hickory or Sounthern pride with gas would be my choice if I was going gas. But any stick bunner will take much more work to hold a temp. I buy pellets 1000lbs at a time. some buy 2000lbs at a time. Flavor of woods can be another issue depending on the type you like to use.

RandyE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: