FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K_C's SnP Inovations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12 06 3:26 am    Post subject: K_C's SnP Inovations Reply with quote

Been smoking on my new SnP for a few months now, survived a few forum crashes and decided to try and post pics of what I've been up to.

To start off I haven't been happy with fire control. Been burning down at the smoke chamber end of the fire box and for reasons expressed by many thought it might be a good idea to burn at the other [inlet] end and try to direct air flow up thru the fire and then into the smoke chamber.

Next three pics shows how I accomplished this:

These are the steel supports for the fire basket.

This is the fire platform.

This is the three piece fire level.

The plan is that by raising the fire up I will get better air flow and with the levels avoid ash choking off the fire. The fundamentals work well at the other end of the fire box. What's new is moving it all down to the inlet end. Next smoke will tell.....

Here's the baffle installed in the smoke chamber. It is open on the sides so's not to slow down the flow - just diflect the heeat and flames - which might not be as big a deal with the fire pulled away.

This is the chicken house!! Notice that the chimney is extended to within 3" of the smoke chamber bottom. Pulling from here seems to help chamber temps.

This is my Asphalt Probe. It reaches down to the rack level - sweet!

Here's what you see on top. Rolled paper seals it in!

Ya'll know this stuff - uuummmmmmmmmmm! Pork.

---------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

Next thing - if this fire thang works - is a blanket to keep this baby warm. It's getting cold up here in New York - actually have light frost warnings for tonight - ouch!!!!!

keeponsmoking K_C
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 06 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an up-date on the fire box evolution in my SnP. It became apparent that air intake confrol is critical to good fire management. I have decided to install fire brick to aid in channeling air flow under the fire as well as retain and radiate heat into the hot air flow to the cooking chamber now that winter is here.

Next step was two steel plates to capture the air flow at the intake and channel it between the fire brick under the fire.

Notice I am pushed up at the intake end of the fire box. I do not want to buitd the fire against the cooking chamber. It makes for tooo much heat needing to be deflected.

Next comes the first part of the fire box. Good old expanded metal.

Then comes fire box side panels and elevated base - all expanded metal.

Here's the fire getting underway.

And here's the Turkey Breast and sausage to test things out.

Fire management is falling into line. It is critical to get air flow in and under the fire level. Keeping it away from the cooking chamber helps control cooking chamber temps. The turkey cooked for 7hours. There was no prep or seasonings. I rinsed and dried the bird and stuck it in the smoker. Temps were in the 210 - 275 range, chunk/lump. Cooked the bird to 180* breast temp - pulled it, let it rest uncovered till we couldn't stand it and started pulling crispie skin and tender meat and crunchie sausage and manhattens w/ a cherry.

Skin was crispie as all get out - with no oil/butter/drippings or anything else brushed on. Color perfect - no cheese cloth. Breast meat cooked well, not too dry, however, next one will be brined and should be a bit moister, but this experiment was quite edible. Sausage were out of this world. Skin snapped when bitten!!

I'm lovin' my SnP - this baby and I are on a good track. This winter is going to be a smokie one up here in the snowy woods of NY. K_C
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 06 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, snapping sausage skins made my mouth water at the memories.

Just a thought, but how about using a beer can turkey cooker or something similar, that would give you room for more things, you could get two in the space you can now only get one.

You look handy so putting one or two together wouldn't take much of you time and would free up a fair amount of space.

I still work here!
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm getting control over the fire box - the cooking chamber is next. The turkey here is one of those limbless types and I threw the sausage in on impulse. Check the chamber pics and you can see I can run with two levels. I can also drop the front of raise the rear if desired, or double up the rack layers. I've loaded up with a full butt a brisket and two chickes sitting on their cans.

My objective has been to reduce/minimze the heat blast at thr fire box end of the cooking chamber. I think I've done that now it's musical chairs in the cooking chamber to get everyone in their correct seats! I'm also planning on an exhaust baffle to cover the cool end of the chamber and connect to the chimney. That way I will be able to grate closer to the end and gain a bit more rack space.

Soon I'll try and figure my MAX load. The neighbors are starting to get curious and the sausage and the last butt where a huge hit a few doors down.

Thanksgiving IS going to see a 16-20# bird in there and most likely a bunch of those sausages. Will sure be nice having the kitchen oven clear and full of my daughters pies - uuummmm pies! K_C
edasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an SnP?
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edasaurus wrote:

A SNP is a Brinkmann offset smoker.

Mike Lawry
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10 06 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edasaurus wrote:

All you ned to know is here: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1943&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

K_C
edasaurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10 06 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...thanks for the replies and the link Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: