FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any advice on stepping up to competition level?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu's Q wrote:
Hey Rock'n S... nice to hear of more folks in the central Oklahoma area are getting into competition BBQ. The guys on this forum are awesome and will be a great wealth of info for you. I think all of the suggestions so far and specifically the idea of coming to a competition like Stillwater is a great idea. There are lots of contests around that time including Tecumseh, Chandler, Claremore, etc. Honestly, taking a KCBS judging class and judging a competition gives you a leg up because then you know what other boxes look like and what the judges at your table are scoring certain presentations, tastes, and tenderness and gives you insight on what you should turn in and per-fect before competing.

Keep asking questions on the forums and venture out to some of the other forums and keep reading. There is LOTS of info/discussions out there and pictures of turn in boxes, etc that will you tremendously.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Stu

Rock'n S, Stu is a good one to listen to, he knows of what he speaks. Just be aware that if you ever come up to Kansas to do a comp with him, he usually gets sequestered off by himself somewhere on the other side of the horse barn Laughing
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Thanks Stu's Q Reply with quote

Stu's Q, I have seen your name at the top of some results also. Oklahoma has some great teams.
Just firing up the smoker and meeting new people will be enough, but it doesn't hurt to see the look and hear those words "this meat is so dang good"
I do like setting goals and working towards them but at this point my goal is to spend the next 8 months taking notes and learning all I can. I want to try and beat 1 team. If I could do that I would be as happy as the grand champion.
I also want to build and sell some of my own smokers someday and the comps seem like a good place to do just that.
Thanks for the kind words and please tell me whatever you think I should know, I would prefer to hear it like it is even if I may not want to hear it.

A big ole offset beast.
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Nurse Reply with quote

NaughtyNurse wrote:
Stu's Q wrote:
Hey Rock'n S... nice to hear of more folks in the central Oklahoma area are getting into competition BBQ. The guys on this forum are awesome and will be a great wealth of info for you. I think all of the suggestions so far and specifically the idea of coming to a competition like Stillwater is a great idea. There are lots of contests around that time including Tecumseh, Chandler, Claremore, etc. Honestly, taking a KCBS judging class and judging a competition gives you a leg up because then you know what other boxes look like and what the judges at your table are scoring certain presentations, tastes, and tenderness and gives you insight on what you should turn in and per-fect before competing.

Keep asking questions on the forums and venture out to some of the other forums and keep reading. There is LOTS of info/discussions out there and pictures of turn in boxes, etc that will you tremendously.

Stu

Rock'n S, Stu is a good one to listen to, he knows of what he speaks. Just be aware that if you ever come up to Kansas to do a comp with him, he usually gets sequestered off by himself somewhere on the other side of the horse barn Laughing

LOL, I'm not real sure what that means, but I will make a mental note on it.

A big ole offset beast.
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Garnishing Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I guess I need to see if anyone will tell me about the Garnishings. Are we just talking green leafy stuff like the photos here on the forum? I noticed some where on it and some were just on foil.

A big ole offset beast.
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Re: Garnishing Reply with quote

Rock'n S BBQ wrote:
Hey everyone, I guess I need to see if anyone will tell me about the Garnishings. Are we just talking green leafy stuff like the photos here on the forum? I noticed some where on it and some were just on foil.

There are several different sanctioning bodies for BBQ competitions, each sanctioning body has different rules.

KCBS, (Kansas City Barbecue Society) has garnish, Green Leaf lettice, curly Parsley & Cilantro are the only one allowed.

The ones without Garnish include the IBCA (International BBQ Cookers Association), just have the foil.

There are lots of others, you can read up on some of them in this section under different threads.

I still work here!
Stu's Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaughtyNurse wrote:
Stu's Q wrote:

Stu

Man, those KS boys will do anything to keep us Okies away. Tis true they sent me and Kosmo both packin' out by the horse barn and this was even after a blowout on the trailer on the way to KS. Thinking back, one of them KS boys probably hired someone to pop my tire while I was in the store getting parsley! LOL - (you almost got me)
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Re: Thats the ones Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
Rock'n S BBQ wrote:
Yeah I guess that 6000.00 in prize money and only about 20 teams was a good reason to sneak off to Ada.
I saw those and the ones around OKC aren't so bad, I will try to get her to go with me for a weekend outing or something so I can see what all goes on. I still want to see if any of the Okies teams might let me tag along and ask questions.

I am located a little South of OKC and would be happy to talk with you. The wife and I did Ada last year and plan on doing it again this year. A number of other ringers were there and I am sure they will chime in when they get a chance. We will be cooking at Fort Gibson this weekend (Oct 29-30) and will be joined by Vexter, his wife, the Norwegian National BBQ Team and a special guest. It would be a great chance to see a comp up close and meet some good people. PM me your phone number if you are interested and I will give you a call.
Jay

This is an open invite to all ringers. Stop by and say hello or bring your chairs and hang for awhile. Should be a good time.
Jay
Stu's Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 29 2010    Post subject: Re: Thats the ones Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
OkieJay wrote:
Rock'n S BBQ wrote:
Yeah I guess that 6000.00 in prize money and only about 20 teams was a good reason to sneak off to Ada.
I saw those and the ones around OKC aren't so bad, I will try to get her to go with me for a weekend outing or something so I can see what all goes on. I still want to see if any of the Okies teams might let me tag along and ask questions.

I am located a little South of OKC and would be happy to talk with you. The wife and I did Ada last year and plan on doing it again this year. A number of other ringers were there and I am sure they will chime in when they get a chance. We will be cooking at Fort Gibson this weekend (Oct 29-30) and will be joined by Vexter, his wife, the Norwegian National BBQ Team and a special guest. It would be a great chance to see a comp up close and meet some good people. PM me your phone number if you are interested and I will give you a call.
Jay

This is an open invite to all ringers. Stop by and say hello or bring your chairs and hang for awhile. Should be a good time.
Jay

Definitely wish I could have made it Jay, but I got some Halloween festivities this weekend with my little guy. Good luck to you guys!!

Stu
Kosmos Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Oct 31 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to see new folks wanting to get into BBQ'ing. Ada is an awesome contest with an amazing air show. You guys have got my blood pumping again and I have only been done competing for a week. LOL
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 01 2010    Post subject: Re: Thats the ones Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
OkieJay wrote:
Rock'n S BBQ wrote:

Jay

Jay

Had a good time in Fort Gibson this weekend. Nice weather and Cody (of Cody's Construction Crew) did a great job taking care of the cookers. Shannon (Vexter) and his lady were, as always a blast to hang out with, not to mention great teammates. Shannon's friends, The Norwegian National BBQ team were a lot of fun and very worthy competitors. Their guest was the legendary Paul Kirk. What a rare chance to sit and talk BBQ with one of the pioneers of competition BBQ.

Shannon and I turned in some pretty good eats and finished 6th overall. We got calls in all categories except ribs (we placed 11th in ribs). We finished right behind Butcher and right above Twin Oaks, pretty good company for our first time as "Mo Butts and OK Racks".

Can't wait for next year, hope to see you all at Stillwater.
Jay
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 01 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock'n S BBQ,

Dumb question, but have you watched the first season of BBQ Pitmasters from TLC? I would ignore the current episodes, but the first season followed 6 teams on the KCBS circuit. It might help you get a bit of a feel for how these things go, including choosing and trimming meat, applying marinades and injections, building boxes, turn-ins, judging.

Of course there's no substitute for going to a judging class and attending competitions yourself, but this might help.
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 01 2010    Post subject: I hope this is a nice weekend Reply with quote

OkieJay, thats fantastic, I bet it was a blast.
Thats just my luck, I get an invite which is too neat, but I can't go because of work and then I find out I might have been able to meet Paul Kirk. Talk about a BBQ rookie dream!!
Man I am so jealous.
I got the check list and first off I would say that was very well made list and it was more than I had in my mind, so glad I got that to work off of. And I think I may need all 8 months to get it together.

By the way, I'm hearing there is some sort of conflict and that KCBS may not sponsor the "Pigs can Fly" event in Ada. They are looking for another sponsor. I wonder how much of an affect that will have?

A big ole offset beast.
Rock'n S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 01 2010    Post subject: Not a dumb question Reply with quote

Feldon30, I have not seen any of those season 1 episodes. I have seen a youtube clip or 2 but all they show is things we pretty much already know. I tried to watch season 2 but with that format which sent people home that never even got to present their BBQ seemed way off base so had was only half hearted on it.
I have picked out a judging class in march that I'm going to see about. The wife and I are talking about doing it together and thought it would be fun to travel and maybe be judges at a few events. But yeah I agree with you guys that it has to help competitors have an inside track if there is such a thing.
Thanks for the great advice guys. Sounds like I will have to buy the beer.

A big ole offset beast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: