FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROTISSERIE MOTOR'S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrybob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11 10 11:15 pm    Post subject: ROTISSERIE MOTOR'S Reply with quote

I am reconstructiing my smoker to be a rotisserie style. I know i can get the motor from grainger...but...i really dont know which one i need. I am guessing a low horsepower with a low rpm. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help up front.

The one and only....Henrybob
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11 10 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power requirement depends on how much weight you plan to turn. I dont think you can have too much in my opinion. From what I gather 3-8 RPMs should be slow enough.
k.a.m.
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henrybob, here is a link to a rotisserie build that I asked about motors in and the link to his set up. I hope this helps. Smile
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28396

Reverse Flow
Hybrid Cooker
D.HUTCH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: ROTISSERIE MOTOR'S Reply with quote

henrybob wrote:
I am reconstructiing my smoker to be a rotisserie style. I know i can get the motor from grainger...but...i really dont know which one i need. I am guessing a low horsepower with a low rpm. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help up front.

The one and only....Henrybob

The electric motor for my pit came from Graingers. The motor is made by Dayton,and turns two RPM's. I used gears to reduce it to one RPM,which is an ideal speed.The model is 1LPN7. It is 1/10 HP,and has 113 inch pounds of torque. My Que has eight forty inch by ten inch shelves. The motor is more than adequate for my pit............Hutch
henrybob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: ROTISSERIE MOTOR'S Reply with quote

[quote="D.HUTCH"][quote="henrybob"]I am reconstructiing my smoker to be a rotisserie style. I know i can get the motor from grainger...but...i really dont know which one i need. I am guessing a low horsepower with a low rpm. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help up front.

The one and only....Henrybob[/quote]
The electric motor for my pit came from Graingers. The motor is made by Dayton,and turns two RPM's. I used gears to reduce it to one RPM,which is an ideal speed.The model is 1LPN7. It is 1/10 HP,and has 113 inch pounds of torque. My Que has eight forty inch by ten inch shelves. The motor is more than adequate for my pit............Hutch[/quote]

[/quote]What gears did you use? I have been told like you said that youwant to achieve 1 mph to cook at. I found some high temp bearings for the shaft. Thanks for your help
D.HUTCH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a one inch SS shaft through the center of the pit. I bought my pillow blocks from Fastenal. They have bearings and swivel sleeves for the shaft to pass through. The swivel sleeves are forgiving if you cannot exactly get a true pass through the cooker. The gears also came from Grainger. I cannot remember the chain size,but I used a twelve tooth on the motor,and a twenty four on the center shaft. The rotisserie assembly turns with very little resistance............Hutch
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a home made open pit rotisserie. Uses a split phase induction motor and a 1:100 worm drive. Size of motor depends on what reduction you are running and the load....but you can't go wrong with a big motor.
cody
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a 20hp work its 3 faze Laughing Laughing
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12 10 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I was just looking into motors to make a rotary casting machine. Didn't think about checking Grainger, I was checking electronics and automation places. You never know where you'll get info from.
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14 10 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was looking through Grainger and found a parallel shaft gearmotor part # 1LNG2 that is 1 rpm, 100 inch lbs torque at 1/80 hp for a list price of $89.90. I like this one because it has steel gears and a gasketed housing with a combination of needle and ball bearings for the shaft. I was thinking of connecting this directly to my shaft via a small lovejoy coupling eliminating chains and sprokets. Any input on this?????
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15 10 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a .75 HP Permanent Magnet DC Motor-direct coupled with a right angle reduction gear drive @1:60 ratio and am driving the motor with a conveyor controller. This allows a variable speed and you can easily reverse rotation with the flip of a switch. Motor never gets even slightly warm
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15 10 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the rotisserie I made for an open pit pig roast. With a 1725 rpm 1/2 hp compressor duty motor, it turns at 1 RPM. Not sure where the gear box came from originally, but it has a double worm gear reduction in it.
Speed could easly be changed by changing the pulley sizes.

Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16 10 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hvac81 wrote:
I used a .75 HP Permanent Magnet DC Motor-direct coupled with a right angle reduction gear drive @1:60 ratio and am driving the motor with a conveyor controller. This allows a variable speed and you can easily reverse rotation with the flip of a switch. Motor never gets even slightly warm

Just curious, is it better to have the capabilities to reverse rotation as well as change rpms? Question
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16 10 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.HUTCH wrote:
I have a one inch SS shaft through the center of the pit. I bought my pillow blocks from Fastenal. They have bearings and swivel sleeves for the shaft to pass through. The swivel sleeves are forgiving if you cannot exactly get a true pass through the cooker. The gears also came from Grainger. I cannot remember the chain size,but I used a twelve tooth on the motor,and a twenty four on the center shaft. The rotisserie assembly turns with very little resistance............Hutch

D. HUTCH...SS shaft and pillow blocks. Thats what I was envisioning for my vertical. Thanks for that.
Myself and many other like me around here tend to have some huge backyards ( 44 acres) Shocked and GE doesn't always bring good things to life when outback. Anyone have any wisdom on a 12V system?
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16 10 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod wrote:
hvac81 wrote:

Just curious, is it better to have the capabilities to reverse rotation as well as change rpms? Question

For Me this works best. When "spinning " a Pig, especially at a low RPM it is beneficial to be able to reverse the spit to rotate the Pig to a particular position-Say chest up. As opposed to waiting for the rotation to complete. Does that make sense?
Anyway this is easily done with a DC motor.
Which also affords the use of a 12 VDC system
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16 10 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big pig roast every October and cook open pit style. Its more of a party atmosphere to see the pig turning, plus by cooking open pit style, it takes quite a while to cook, so you get more beer drinking time in with your buddies! Very Happy
I use a Dayton Gearmotor, PN 3M125B that I bought from Grainger a few years back. Im sure the part # is probably different by now, but it should easily be able to be cross referenced. Its a 1/20 HP motor that turns 2 rpm. It works perfectly for my open pit pig cook. I turn 150lbs of pig and the motor never even breaks a sweat. If I remember right, they told me it would turn up to 600lbs without any issues.

This is the pig just after being put on the fire

This is the pig 24 hours later almost ready to come off the fire.
Fire Pit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: