FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TX BBQ Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocLww
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 10 11:23 am    Post subject: TX BBQ Tour Reply with quote

So, the family and I leave on Saturday headed to New Braunfels, Tx. The family is going for Schlitterbahn, the water park in NB, but I am going for the Q. Of course, I am going to Kreuz Market, and a buddy of mine from Austin is going to take us to what he considers the best Q in Austin. Anybody out there have any recommendations for the I-10 corridor into TX, and anything in Austin, New Braunfels or San Antonio?

If barbecue causes cancer, I'm a dead man.
tnbarbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 10 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a que place called The Salt Lick near SA featured on Food Network. I understand it's fantastic.
Brinkman Bullet
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30 10 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnbarbq wrote:
I saw a que place called The Salt Lick near SA featured on Food Network. I understand it's fantastic.

Yeah the Salt Lick is in Driftwood, TX in between Austin and SAT. It's about 15miles from I-35 at the Buda exit. They only take cash but they do have an ATM next to the register. It is in a dry county so it is BYOB, pack up a cooler of your adult beverages to go with your meal.

If you go thru Buda, you might also want to check out DL Jardines. www.jardinefoods.com I don't know if they have a store, it's been a while since I've been thru there.

If you are taking I-10 you should stop by the original Rudy's in Leon Springs. I've never been there, but I've heard that it's better than the other locations. I can't say for shure though.
bama6977

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01 10 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, Texas. You better be hungry. Brisket fantastic, ribs great, smoked turkey. coopersbbq.com.

Little place in Hearn TX, Toadie's also great. Right at RR tracks.

Rudie's in Austin was bit to commercial for me and was not good compared to Cooper's and Toadie's, but creamed corn worth a try.

Red's in Killen, nope over cooked and was mush.

Never got to Cyclone TX, but was told fantastic place there.

Next trip will continue to eat my way across Texas. Very Happy Very Happy
bubbachuck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02 10 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt Lick was cool just to expierence pecan pie was good. My brother and I hit a few places in Taylor, Elign, Lockhart, Austin, Luling. I think we hit like 9 places and the top 3 in my opinion are. 3) Taylor Cafe, in Taylor 2) Southside Market in Elign 1)Black's in Lockhart. We mostly sampled brisket and sausage. It was fun and I am ready to do it again. Next time I would like to spend at least a week, we did this in 2 days. I was stuffed. Then going across 10 heading back to FL we hit up a couple boudin places in LA. What a trip
Weber Ranch Kettle
2 - OH EL-ED/X
OH CTO
Old Stump's maze
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02 10 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, You did that in 2 days? Did you eat BBQ for breakfast lunch and dinner? Taylor to Luling isn't a short trip.
bubbachuck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02 10 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was fun, we left Dallas early on a Tuesday morning and then we were heading east to FL Wednesday night. The only problem we had was most of those towns were only like 20 mins apart from each other. We usually got brisket and sausage and then some sides and had a cooler with ice for the leftovers. Then Black's opened at 10 am and we were there at about 10:15. It was fun.
Weber Ranch Kettle
2 - OH EL-ED/X
OH CTO
Old Stump's maze
sailtravis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned City Market in Luling, Tx. Just east of San Antone off of I-10. Luling is only a short drive and south of Lockhart. You sir are headed for BBQ nirvana. Have fun.
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailtravis wrote:
Nobody has mentioned City Market in Luling, Tx.

I've never been thru there, but they tell me that Luling has it's own unique smell, and I'm not talkin' BBQ.
sailtravis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06 10 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luling does have a semi-unique smell. Most Texans would say it smells like money!

What is being referred to is that wonderful hydrocarbon odor coming from the oil wells pumping in town.

Believe me, it in no way effects the taste of that good que. No, wait a minute... the lines at noon are already too long at City Market. Yes, it smells terrible, it will turn you off your que Very Happy Looks like I'm moving to the front of the line!

No seriously, all joking aside. It is one of the highly respected Central Texas BBQ legends.
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06 10 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailtravis wrote:
Nobody has mentioned City Market in Luling, Tx. Just east of San Antone off of I-10. Luling is only a short drive and south of Lockhart. You sir are headed for BBQ nirvana. Have fun.

I didn't think City Market was that good. Shoot, I think Rudy's is better. Go to Black's. Best bbq in the world.

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
thooks
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06 10 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some of you will know where I am talking about-

Back in 2001, I was held capture in San Marcos doing some software training. One day for lunch I said "I want some BBQ". The doooood that was our host said "Ok, follow me" and we loaded up the truck and headed out.

We were 'downtown' at a building at Texas State. I want to say that we drove for 15 minutes or so, didn't cross I-35, so we must have went west or northwest out of town. We ended up 'out in the middle of nowhere'. Seriously. We rolled up on a plain, white block building, nothing else around.

This was my first "hole in the wall, Texas BBQ joint" experience, so I was not real sure about this place. I guess you Texans would call it "a market".

Knowing what I know now, this place is legit. Picnic tables, your "plate" is butcher paper. We ended up leaving without eating because everybody was kinda uncomfortable. Imagine a group of more or less city folk, computer nerds (not me), rolling into this place.

Anyway...any one got any idea what this place is called?
mgwerks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07 10 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooper's in Llano - top of your list. Without question.

Franklin's BBQ, 3421 N IH 35 in Austin - best in the city, get there by or before 11:00 am

New Braunfels - There is a Cooper's there also, but I have not been there, heard it isn't quite as good as the Llano location. Granzin's is pretty decent. The other places in NB are poor - Oma's, NB Smokehouse, etc.

P.S. - If you're willing to bring me a few cases of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale from Alabama, I'll pick it up and gladly reimburse you! Seriously good stuff!
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07 10 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgwerks wrote:
Franklin's BBQ, 3421 N IH 35 in Austin - best in the city, get there by or before 11:00 am

Yep, He's a Texan, nobody but them says "IH" when talking about an Interstate. Laughing
texaggie2007

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14 10 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coopers and Snows are the top 2 in the State IMO
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16 10 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thooks wrote:
Maybe some of you will know where I am talking about-

Back in 2001, I was held capture in San Marcos doing some software training. One day for lunch I said "I want some BBQ". The doooood that was our host said "Ok, follow me" and we loaded up the truck and headed out.

We were 'downtown' at a building at Texas State. I want to say that we drove for 15 minutes or so, didn't cross I-35, so we must have went west or northwest out of town. We ended up 'out in the middle of nowhere'. Seriously. We rolled up on a plain, white block building, nothing else around.

This was my first "hole in the wall, Texas BBQ joint" experience, so I was not real sure about this place. I guess you Texans would call it "a market".

Knowing what I know now, this place is legit. Picnic tables, your "plate" is butcher paper. We ended up leaving without eating because everybody was kinda uncomfortable. Imagine a group of more or less city folk, computer nerds (not me), rolling into this place.

Anyway...any one got any idea what this place is called?

Sounds like Woodys, owned by a former employee/associate of the famed Kruetz.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16 10 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgwerks wrote:
[b]
New Braunfels - There is a Cooper's there also, but I have not been there, heard it isn't quite as good as the Llano location. Granzin's is pretty decent. The other places in NB are poor - Oma's, NB Smokehouse, etc.
[/i]

There are 2 Granzin's. I am not sure on the relation. One is a BBQ joint and one is a meat market for BBQ makin's. The meat market is the finest you will ever find. Staffed with an unheard of employee to customer ratio, all very knowledgeable and ready to fill your order. They have everything you might want to Que. A must stop for anyone going thru NB if nothing else, for the dried jerky for the trip home.
voodoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19 10 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salt lick sux..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: