FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butt Cooking and Charcoal Amounts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hadeze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24 10 4:25 am    Post subject: Butt Cooking and Charcoal Amounts Reply with quote

Ok I want to cook my first but this weekend. I have been poking around on the forum and reading what everyone says about to wrap or not to and to spritz or not to. Here is what I am planning on doing and would love to have some input.

I plan on cooking the but for 1.5 hours a pound in my Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker.

I am going to crown and rub the but with mustard and apply the dry seasoning to it wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge overnight.

I am not planning on wrapping it in foil during the cooking but have intentions of spritzing it with apple juice during the last few hours.

After it reached an internal temp of 195 - 205 I plan on pulling it off the smoker and double wrapping it in aluminum foil and then in an old towel. Place that whole thing in a cooler for a hour and then pull it apart.

Here is the question I have I am going to be using lump charcoal and really don't want to be adding any to the smoker during the cook? How much do you think I should put in the pan for the cooking time needed to do a butt? I plan on getting about a 5 pound but.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24 10 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 5# will do it.
If you have a chimney, use it to light your charcoal before adding it to the cooker. Cuts down on bad smoke,
I use a UDS and fill up the basket with 10# lump and some hickory chunks mixed in.
I usually cook at least 2 butts at a time at about 9# each.
Good luck and post the pics.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25 10 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good post here about the Brinkmann Gourmet-

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9287
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25 10 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find that the ECB (or El Cheapo Brinkmann), tends to ash up and run out of heat too soon to cook butts on.

You might try raising the fire, but the aeration through the slotted part is what lets it down, once the slots are full of ash, the fire starts to die, once the fre dies your SOL for cooking.

So with that in mind you'll probably be good for 3 - 4 hours, at that point, you may want to be prepared to break it all down, lift out the good charcoal and coals, tap out the ash on the other side of the garden, and put it all back together again.

In my WSM's and UDS's, I burn about 1 lb of charcoal per hour at 250*.

I still work here!
chilehead70301
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25 10 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All grills are different. I have a butt on as I type and I used 1.5 chimney full of lump. That's about what it takes me to get through a butt. My temps run between 240-260. It's been on for 1 hr and the internal temp is 110*. I spritz every hour with apple juice. Sometimes I'll add Capt. Morgans to the apple juice to give it a little kick. I have cooked butts wrapped in foil and unwrapped. I prefer unwrapped as it forms a better bark. Butts have enough fat inside that it will not dry out.

Good Luck.
hadeze

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26 10 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This smoker is a pain in the a$$.. I used a chimeny and am using hardwood lump charcoal. I have been fighttine with this thing all day it is 3:15 now and I put it on at 8:30 it is like 170 degrees right now with a meat thermometer. I am going to have to mod the hell out of this thing to keep it. It just won't keep lit.
Proetus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27 10 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinkman mods

I have done all the mods to mine. I have the stove rope sitting in my truck right now to do when i get home. One thing i am going to add is some flat "window" stove rope to the door and im also going to apply some of the flat rope on the bottoms of the intake dampers since i didnt get a great seal due to my fantastic metal working skills!
hadeze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27 10 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proetus could you post a link for the flat rope? I live on an island and we really have no place local to find anything for heating purposes. I made my dampeners and plan on mounting them today and possibly inishing the bottom of the unit tonight.

All in all I started at 8:30am and took it off at 7:00pm after fighting with it all day I couldn't deal with it. I put it in the oven at 250 for two hours until it hit the 205 mark with the thermometer. I left it in the oven for an hour well wrapped and shredded it before bed. I would have had some pics to post but it was one of those days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: