FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have experience in renting a portable cooker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 3:28 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience in renting a portable cooker? Reply with quote

My family would like me to cook for my grandparents' 70th wedding anniversary next year. On the plus side, I think it's going to be a lot of fun to do, and I'll have a year to plan for it.

But my concern is that they'd like to hold the party in Northeast Ohio (near Akron), and my pit is not a portable rig. (Nor do I have the funding to buy or build a bigger pit that can be towed up there right now.)

Has anyone ever needed to rent a pit to cook on for an event? Are there any companies I could try to contact? Should I just try looking at local restaurant supply or outdoor catering groups? Should I possibly try reaching out to a pit builder to see if they'd like to show a unit off?

I'm all ears for advice, guys. Also, I really doubt that I'll get that lucky, but does anyone have contacts in NE Ohio that could help?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BZArcher, have you considered renting a small trailer for your cooker? You could load it on the trailer and be able to cook on one that you are accustomed to.

Hybrid Cooker
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered it, but I'm not sure it's practical. I'm also not sure it would be able to hold enough food once I got cooking.
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess kam's concern is cooking on unknown equipment for a major event?
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldon30 wrote:
I guess kam's concern is cooking on unknown equipment for a major event?

I can understand that, but OTOH, my cooker is currently anchored into a 6 inch slab of concrete. Smile Even if I get the anchor bolts out, disassemble it completely, rent a trailer, haul it up there, put it back together, and then rinse, lather, and repeat to get it back (and re-anchor it afterwards), I'm not convinced that it's less hassle or any money saved. I'm happy to drive up a little earlier and spend a few hours getting to know a different pit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: