FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!!!! Festival Menu Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoBullBarbecue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24 10 10:14 am    Post subject: Help!!!! Festival Menu Ideas Reply with quote

hey guys,

i need some help on some menu ideas for a 4th of July festival that i'm vending. i would usually do pp and brisket sammies, but there was another bbq vendor that turned their app in a day before me. i was told that there cant be 2 of the same types of food. the other vendor is doing only pp sammies. i was thinking about bbq nachos and tacos, or maybe brisket sammies. not sure about the brisket though, because they might consider it to be too close to the other guys food. i can cook just about anything, and have the smokers to do large scale cooking. any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. i just have to have my menu in within the next couple of days.

again, thank you very much. i look forward to your advice.

No Bull Barbecue
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24 10 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs!I just did a four day fair and my biggest seller was ribs,chicken breast sands,PP in that order.When I think of summer I think the 4th and the fourth to me is BBQ and BBQ is ribs!
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24 10 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Riblets and or Chicken legs. Riblets smoke in about 3 hours but i usually run them for 2 hours on the smoker and finish on the grill. Grill up the chicken legs. Sauce on the side for both. Legs are .99 cents a pound right now and i can usually get the riblets for $10 - $13 dollars a 10 pound box, which contain about 35 - 40 pieces or strips. Sell them 3 strips for $5, weigh`s in at about a pound per serving.
Here is some info & pics about riblets.
http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/pages/showBones.jsp?ID=15

My Blog of the last vend we did selling riblets and legs.
http://wfbbq.blogspot.com/
NoBullBarbecue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24 10 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to both of you for your advice. i like both of the suggestions.

daddydawg: how'd you serve the ribs, what type of rib, and what price is fair for a festival (if you dont mind me asking)?

jeff: the riblets are country style ribs, right?

i'm leaning towards doing both ribs and chicken. i just thought of the bbq nachos and tacos, because its easier to walk around in a crowded festival and less messy. problem is, i'd be getting away from my comfort zone.....traditional bbq. plus was wanting to keep it around $5. things could get really busy and kinda messy, so didnt want to have to keep making change all day.

well thanks again guys. youve been a big help so far.

No Bull Barbecue
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25 10 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBullBarbecue wrote:
thanks to both of you for your advice. i like both of the suggestions.

daddydawg: how'd you serve the ribs, what type of rib, and what price is fair for a festival (if you dont mind me asking)?

i'm leaning towards doing both ribs and chicken. i just thought of the bbq nachos and tacos, because its easier to walk around in a crowded festival and less messy. problem is, i'd be getting away from my comfort zone.....traditional bbq. plus was wanting to keep it around $5. things could get really busy and kinda messy, so didnt want to have to keep making change all day.

well thanks again guys. youve been a big help so far.

No Bull Barbecue

I have been using the full rack this year and slicing down each bone when done.selling three bones for 6.00,but I have been getting them for .99lb.if the price was higher I might go two bones or 7.00.
I have tried the riblets and they do ok and are cheap but they are the chinebone side.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25 10 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBullBarbecue wrote:

No they are "Riblets" like the apple bee`s riblets or some call them "feather bones" they come from the loin area along the spine. Way cheaper than country style ribs.
NoBullBarbecue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25 10 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddydawg: .99/lb? if thats not a misprint, please tell me what kind and where i can get them. Smile

jeff: i realized that after i left my office. i havent seen them too readily available in my area. i'll have to keep an eye out for them.

you two have been a huge help. theres one more little wrinkle in the plan that i found out this afternoon........the festival committee is pretty serious about not duplicating types of food. they considered the riblets and chicken legs to be bbq. i even suggested smoking chicken and pulling it for sammys, but they still said no. plus my nacho/taco idea was also thrown out.

after putting a lil more thought into it, i realized that i still didnt want to pass up on this festival. i went a whole other direction. my menu now consist of red beans and rice with smoked sausage and boston butt, cajun smoked chicken and andouille sausage pasta, and bread pudding with 2 sauce options (bananas foster rum sauce and a vanilla prailine sauce). all three can be served in styrofoam bowls with a fork or spoon, and i can sell them for an easy $5 each.

so overall i guess i had to swallow my bbq pride and just go out there and still make a pretty good bit of money.......actually i'll be working on a much lower food cost and a higher margin Smile

let me know what ya'll think about these changes. i'm going to try to be more active on here from now on. i have some other pretty big things coming up, and the advice is always welcome.

thanks for everything

No Bull Barbecue
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25 10 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddydawg: .99/lb? if thats not a misprint, please tell me what kind and where i can get them.

I think the brand is pinecrest(maybe)I get them from FSA (food service of america)That price I locked in the beginning of the year but there still cheap like 1.29lb on the last flyer.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26 10 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBullBarbecue wrote:

after putting a lil more thought into it, i realized that i still didnt want to pass up on this festival. i went a whole other direction. my menu now consist of red beans and rice with smoked sausage and boston butt, cajun smoked chicken and andouille sausage pasta, and bread pudding with 2 sauce options (bananas foster rum sauce and a vanilla prailine sauce). all three can be served in styrofoam bowls with a fork or spoon, and i can sell them for an easy $5 each.

so overall i guess i had to swallow my bbq pride and just go out there and still make a pretty good bit of money.......actually i'll be working on a much lower food cost and a higher margin Smile
No Bull Barbecue

There ya go.... give em good BBQ on the sly.
Be sure and tell your customers that you smoked the meat that goes into every bowl. Price wise yeah $5-$7 bucks would be very do-able for me. People expect to pay a little more than usual for foods they don`t get every day. Point in case, when we vended that car show a few weeks ago... towards the end of the day i was grilling some mis-cut center loin chops for me and the crew before we packed up. My idea was to sliver these chops up & slide them on some skews, give them a good dusting of my rub and grill them quick for us to eat but once they hit the grill people started to gather around. "Whats that" "How much for those". Needless to say we ate Chinese food much later cause i had to grill up the rest of the box and sell them. Not complaining mind you.
Give them some thing they don't get every day, good sized portion for a fair price. And don't sell out to early. People like to talk about good food and where they got it. Very Happy
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26 10 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Do Riblets and or Chicken legs. Riblets smoke in about 3 hours but i usually run them for 2 hours on the smoker and finish on the grill. Grill up the chicken legs. Sauce on the side for both. Legs are .99 cents a pound right now and i can usually get the riblets for $10 - $13 dollars a 10 pound box, which contain about 35 - 40 pieces or strips. Sell them 3 strips for $5, weigh`s in at about a pound per serving.
Here is some info & pics about riblets.
http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/pages/showBones.jsp?ID=15

My Blog of the last vend we did selling riblets and legs.
http://wfbbq.blogspot.com/

Where do you buy the Rib-Lets?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27 10 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them from a local Shurfine grocery store here in town. They are a Farmland brand product so i`d guess where ever you can get Farmland products they should be able to get them for you.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27 10 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the store locator for ya.
Here is a list of locations that sell farmland products in MN.
http://www.farmlandfoods.com/locator.asp?state=MN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: