FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installing serving window in a cargo trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokelahoma
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 25 10 6:51 am    Post subject: installing serving window in a cargo trailer Reply with quote

i am wanting to install one of those concession style serving windows on my competition trailer. the comp trailer is a simple cargo trailer with wall frame "studs" every 24" approx. it is insulated with 1" foam and paneled with thin plywood.

would i need to cut one of those studs or is the 24" enough room? i was hoping i could install one on one side of the stud and one on the other but i want it to be big enough.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 25 10 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24" wide is big enough.the studs your thinking of are probably 1x or 2x so you may not have the room to place two side by side but you could place one then space 24" then another and use the space between for your menu placement or other sign.But think of your lay out first use tape and cardboard boxes to place everything you have in it.I.E 3 bay sink,reefer,counter,ETC.also think about how high your windows will be from the outside; is the normal height customer going to be looking ahead at your crotch or knees when ordering?or have to use a ladder to see the window.remember your floor on the inside is about two feet higher than the ground where people stand.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
66dave

PostPosted: Thu May 27 10 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if you have alum. or wood studs and dont know if it makes any
differance. When I was working and put windows in trailers some were as
long as 90 inches just cut off the studs. The studs in most trailers like that
are only used to hold the side panels on. They dont really have any structual
use to them.
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 66dave.
I would remove the interior panel where you want the window located. Cut the studs the size of the opening and re-frame the window with 2 x 4s. Then cut the exterior panel the size of the new frame. If you are careful, you can re-use the piece you cut out for the window as a shutter/door.
You can pick up a carbon toothed saw blade that will fit a skill saw from your local hardware or home improvement store. I've used these and they are great for nice straight cuts in metal.
There are many types of aluminum angle or channel available to cover the edges of the cut out and shutter.

I've never done this and I'm sure it sounds easier than it really is. Shocked

Good luck.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: