FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got this crazy Idea....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 13 2010    Post subject: I got this crazy Idea.... Reply with quote

On opening up a bbq joint. I know it's crazy especially since I know almost nuthing about bbq. I mean, i've smoked some meats but still don't know much about it, but, everyday i see this building that is close to my house located right next to the railroad tracks. Looks like they did some kind of metal sheeting work in there. It's abandoned and for sale. I can see a simple bbq joint happenin'. I'm not talking about offering everything under the sun. just maybe doing one type of meat and do it right....baby back ribs, pork sandwiches, etc. when you run out, you run out and doors are closed!! I had the inspiration from that whole hog video someone posted.

Ah, it's just an idea Smile
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: May 13 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the demographics for the area, look at the number and location of any fast food joints, look at the area of the country you're in, and what the average Joe on the streets thinks of or expects for BBQ.

Approach the owner of the building about the possibility of leasing or buying the place, and then ask the HD what you'll need to make that building into what you want, I'd estimate that you'll need at least $30 - $40,000 for the build out in order to be in compliance.

Be realistic about what it's going to cost you up front, or you'll rue the day from the back end.

Good luck, keep dreaming, but get the facts on all the costs before you quit the day job.

Come back and let us know how it goes, if you go ahead with it, and post pictures, we like pictures! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 13 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoEzzy!! haven't given any thought to costs but your words of wisdom sure opened my eyes Shocked I don't want this place to be nothing fancy. just somewhere to git a deliciously good quick bite.

I'll post a pic of my dream location.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: May 14 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you don't see many of these places anymore is because the barriers to entry are now so high, especially if you have to put in a grease trap (trust me, no matter where you are, I'll bet that SoEzzy is on the very low side of a buildout where there is not already a grease trap).

Yuo can't just sweep up the floor and build a pit out back anymore Sad
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

There have been other grease trap threads with figures as low as $25,000 for the trap, Harry's estimate was $120,000 for a building that had never been a restaurant.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36487

I still work here!
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

Yeah, I was including all of the other figures that would need to be considered for a buildout (electrical, etc) before you even get to equipment, inspections, etc. By the time you get to equipment, supplies, etc, you've spent a lot of $$.

There's a reason that these weekend only places have disappeared and that you don't see new ones opening. You might be able to fall into a good situation by accident, but just seeing a cheap building and thinking "Hey, I can sell sandwiches Friday night and Saturday!" is not that realistic any more.

Not that I am arguing that this is a good thing Very Happy
mkevenson
BBQ Fan

The only limiting factor is MONEY. If you can stand to be in business for at least a year and not make a dime, then you may have enough. If you can stand to loose all the money you put in then you are ok. If you have either the time to put in the kitchen or the money to hire then go for it. Just might be fun, and a lot of hard work. But hey nobdy ever died from working hard. Well maybe one or two! Rolling Eyes

Mark's Kitchen and Smokin' BBQ
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 15 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! talk about getting schooled!! Shoot, all I wana do is serve up some good eats and maybe make some pocket change, is all Confused why does it have to be so difficult or cost so much?
You know, i live in chicago and around my area you have 1001 mexican restaurants and most are little more than run down shaqs and people flock to these place morning, noon and nite!! all they have is a grill with hood, refrig, coupla seats, coupla cook and walla!! also, some of these folks that don't have the means to own a restaurant push around a cart serving up corn, mangos, ice cream. Shoot, just the other day i saw a guy setup with a hot dog cart on a busy street and next to that was a cart for making and selling tacos!! maybe that's the way I outta go....hot dog cart coverted to bbq cart and i can roam the neighborhoods selling Q!!
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 16 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is in all it's glory

[/img]
Haelix

PostPosted: May 24 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

the building looks nice,
you could get a prebuilt catering trailer and park it out back, build your dining room , restrooms, and build a real kitchen over the years as you grow.
depending on the neighborhood some people actually dont like the smell of hickory smoked pork 24/7 (Canadians).
Ask around get a feel for the area, have a traffic study done to see how many cars pass at what time of day. there is no better test of a restraunt than see how much Q you can give away in a day. that will tell you how much Q you will never be able to sell
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: May 24 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what state you're in.......NO you can NOT just buy a catering trailer and park it out back. If your state allows that, consider yourself extremely lucky.

The two states I've done business in both require an enclosed bbq pit room to house your pit. The requirements dictate ventilation, floor materials, drainage, hand washing lavatories, etc. The room can be quite cheaply built, but running plumbing/drain lines can up the cost pretty quick.

As far as grease traps go.....depending on what size requirements you get from your local authorities, you might spend well less than that $25,000 minimum. I know a guy who was only required to install a 1,500 gallon trap (that's on the small side) last year who spent $5,000 on the job. Again, this may depend on the area you live.

If you want to be as "simple" as you state, that building looks a bit large. What is the square footage?
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: May 25 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numerous helpful threads in the Commercial BBQ section with buckets of good advice...the one common theme is "This is not easy!"

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 26 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again everyone for the input. not sure why, but there's something about this place that's drawing my attention.

haelix - this is very very busy side street. lots of cars coming and going day and night.

Pitboss - not sure of the square footage but it's pretty big.

Tim - i agree with you and the other commenst cuz true enuf - it ain't easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: