FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 5:33 am    Post subject: New Experience Reply with quote

I am vending a one day horse show as a favor to a friend of mine who is tied up. He did it last fall and grossed about $1200. Small crowd of about 150 people but they are there all day and evening. I plan on fixing pp samies, chicken sammies, have baked beans, coleslaw, smoked sausage and hot dogs. Canned drinks. About an hour away. Interested to see how it goes.
milt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the event don't forget to go back and untie your
friend. Wink Good luck with the gig.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and tighten up that menu a little bit unless you have another outlet for any left over product.

It is typical to try and meet everyones wants and needs, but offering too much stuff usually ends up in unsold product that converts to loss in money.
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I would try and tighten up that menu a little bit unless you have another outlet for any left over product.

It is typical to try and meet everyones wants and needs, but offering too much stuff usually ends up in unsold product that converts to loss in money.

X2

I'd do the pulled pork, chicken, beans or slaw, canned drinks and water.

You should clear about 900 bucks if sales go as expected...
Weber 22" Kettle
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your menu looks good as it is. Because some of those folks may eat 2-3 times and may not want to eat the same thing over and over. I'd rather go for a higher gross on a job like that one and donate or give away the left-overs. Besides the menu you listed is pretty cost effective and the chicken,dogs, and sausages are pretty much cooked on demand anyway.
My2pennys

Speaking of something new, have a pizza festival coming up this weekend.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL BE ABLE TO USE THE LEFT OVERS FOR ANOTHER VENDING JOB tAH STARTS ON TUES SO I THINK I WILL BE OK. THANKS FOR THE 2 CENTS
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 16 10 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a very good show. Grossed $560. We did learn a valuable lesson. Do what you do best and don't change. We never do hot dogs but the contact said it would be good to do some hot dogs for the kids. So we did. Hot dogs with a choice of ketchup or mustard. More adults than kids ordered hot dogs and requested everything including the kitchen sink. I finally just explained that we were a BBQ vendor and stopped selling hot dogs. I learned that if you are BBQ stay BBQ let them go some where else and get hot dogs. Once I quit selling dogs they stated buying BBQ samies. Learned my lesson.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 16 10 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, what did your friend vend that grossed $1200. From the same crowd? Don't feel bad we all have had those kind of events. You have been around long enough to have figured that out. I admire you for posting a poor showing! So many only post their successes that newbies get the impression that this is a no risk way to riches LOL. I have spent $500. For a single day event before only to watch it rain all day and get to pack up in the rain that night and drive 300miles home, it happens that's just the way it is. Good luck on your vending this week!!!!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

It is typical to try and meet everyone's wants and needs, but offering too much stuff usually ends up in unsold product that converts to loss in money.

Quote:
We never do hot dogs but the contact said it would be good to do some hot dogs for the kids. So we did. Hot dogs with a choice of ketchup or mustard. More adults than kids ordered hot dogs and requested everything including the kitchen sink.[b] I finally just explained that we were a BBQ vendor and stopped selling hot dogs. I learned that if you are BBQ stay BBQ let them go some where else and get hot dogs. Once I quit selling dogs they stated buying BBQ sammies. Learned my lesson

Why does it just feel so damn good when you get to say those 4 little words of; "I told you so"

Just kidding with ya, my condolences on the poor profit margins.

Like I said in another thread, I really got to commend you people that do the vending gig's. You are taking a huge gamble at almost every event you do. You are braver than I.
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry it is all right to tell me you told me so. But I am a fast learner. I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't that we didn't sell good we hand no crowd. His show was in the fall and mine was in the spring. I don't think their was more than 100 people. On that basis we didn't do to bad.
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass, I don't do a lot of vending (mostly small local stuff to keep my name out there) so no "I told you so" from me. But for the new vendors this is another example of getting as much info. about the event as you can. Don't trust only what the promoter says. And be cautious of first time events.

Good luck on your event this week!

Rob
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass BBQ wrote:
Harry it is all right to tell me you told me so. But I am a fast learner. I wouldn't do it again. It wasn't that we didn't sell good we hand no crowd. His show was in the fall and mine was in the spring. I don't think their was more than 100 people. On that basis we didn't do to bad.

As long as you know I was just razzing you. I meant no harm or offense by my statement.

My first vending gig menu under my company name was kept tight much to the chagrin of the employees, they wanted to serve all sorts of stuff to try and please every single person in attendance. I on the other hand said 'We are doing1 thing, and 1 thing only"

At exactly 11:00 A.M we had a line at least a city-block long all clamoring for pulled pork sammies. we blew through 200 pounds of meat (raw weight) in 1 hour and 45 minutes. and when that was done, I said to them "So what did you guys all want to serve? and how would we have pulled this off?"

I got fire-baptised back in the early 1980's while cooking for a vending event in Milwaukee for a company owned by 2 chefs from different restaurants. They started a business together named "Fat Boys BBQ" and I worked at one of the restaurants.

A cube-truck from Usingers sausage backed up to our area and it was filled floor to ceiling with bratwurst. I had 3 charcoal grills burning, each of the grills was the 2'x5' grill like I use now. There had to be at least 2,000 pounds of bratwurst in that thing. I was told I could go home when I emptied the truck. Shocked
I thought there was no way in hell we could ever sell that much food. I had 4 people putting bratwurst into buns and wrapping them in wax paper. I could barely keep up with them and the customers it was so insane!
The very next day another truck pulled up withe the same amount of bratwurst, and we went through every single bratwurst both days.
I learned way back then to concentrate your offerings on what you want to be known for and what you are good at.
if you give the people only 1 choice on food (either a yes or no answer) there will be very little problems with them ordering, less confusion, less lost funds from the money handlers charging for the wrong item, people complaining they got the wrong order, etc etc etc.

It took 3-4 years before I ate a bratwurst again after that event!
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true Harry!
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass:If you show a profit then it's not time wasted!

Everyone:What I would like to see and maybe others,is if everyone after there event would post about how many people there event had and about how many pounds of product they went though.No need for the financials(unless you wanted to).That would give others an Idea of what to order for there gig that size.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the support. I am sorry if I gave the impression I was disappointed or complaining. I don't feel any time the Lord gives you is wasted. You never know who you will meet or what will come out of an event. I know for the size of the crowd we did very well. I got the best information I could get on the type and size of show. It just didn't draw of r some reason. Could be the time of the year. Who knows. I was prepared if there had been more and I will use the left overs this week.
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass BBQ wrote:
Not a very good show. Grossed $560. We did learn a valuable lesson. Do what you do best and don't change. We never do hot dogs but the contact said it would be good to do some hot dogs for the kids. So we did. Hot dogs with a choice of ketchup or mustard. More adults than kids ordered hot dogs and requested everything including the kitchen sink. I finally just explained that we were a BBQ vendor and stopped selling hot dogs. I learned that if you are BBQ stay BBQ let them go some where else and get hot dogs. Once I quit selling dogs they stated buying BBQ samies. Learned my lesson.

Too Bad on the low gross, makes it hardly worth the effort for a days work..
We offer hot dogs every time out and they do sell well as with our other items, the key is large dogs and not to sell them too cheap.imho
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 17 10 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and disagree with Harry. For a event where there is more than 1 vendor or a large event,the more limited the menu the better.But in a extended event where your the sole vendor and its a captive crowd a little more variety is in order. Having said that I know vendors with a menu as long as your arm that do well and others that sell a single item that do well.We have 1 unit that does have a pretty big menu but we also have 1 trailer that sells just 2 items and a Stick and Tarp that never has more than 3 items..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: