FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something that bothers me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use ruff cut untreated oak on our work trailers from a local hardware I seem to remember it was pretty cheap could you use this for smoke
crashpilot
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I've got out here is sage brush.. Sad
Char-Broil Red 580 gasser
22" Weber Kettle
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:
k.c.hawg wrote:
I have never used Oak. I'm hickory, apple and cherry. I will have to try oak....it seems I've heard people say they fuel their stickburners with oak and then add smaller amounts of other woods for flavoring. I have had people offer me oak but I was so unfamiliar with it I passed. I'll have to get clued in by some of you guys that use oak, give it a try and see if I like using it.

Man, oak is my favorite. Depending on what part of the world you're located, just stay away from black oak which shouldn't be much of a problem. With my Lonestar, I used oak and hickory. Nothing else. Had such a large firebox, I couldn't use stuff like apple without spending a fortune

I'm in Lee's Summit (20 mi east of Kansas City) plenty of availablity. I might buy one of these 1 cu ft bags of splits(about $12) from Westlake Ace Hardware. That will fuel my Horizon for 2 6-7 hr cooks if I use a chimney of lump about every 2 splits. I think my son and I are fixing to split a cord of seasoned hickory might try the oak beforehand.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have a full cord of oak on hand. Well 75% oak...I just find it strange
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite that fact its an excellent wood the name isn't branded as a "yummy" wood.

Hickory Smoked, Mesquite Grilled or Apple-wood Cured has public appeal...oak just sounds too plain.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.c.hawg wrote:
I have never used Oak. I'm hickory, apple and cherry. I will have to try oak....it seems I've heard people say they fuel their stickburners with oak and then add smaller amounts of other woods for flavoring. I have had people offer me oak but I was so unfamiliar with it I passed. I'll have to get clued in by some of you guys that use oak, give it a try and see if I like using it.

Oak is just about my favorite wood to use and goes well with everything IMO. I like to use it with cherry.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "think" a lot of places in my native state of Arkansas used it....I'm really embarassed that I have never cooked with it. I have burnt a many a cord of hickory, and a lot of apple and cherry.......I'm going to be stepping out of the box (for me) and trying some Oak in the next couple of weeks.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
reesenik

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love oak as well. I've found bags of chips on occasion. Unfortunately buying pre cut chips is kind of expensive for bigger cooking jobs and cords of wood are almost worse. I like mixing it with hickory also... good combo.
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, piled on 3 pallets, a guy I know has land under forestry management and he has to remove so many a year. heck out the Phone number in the yardstick if you can see it, that thing is old.

Here is some cherry and apple another friend dropped off, he has to clear out his yard because he is selling his house.
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="charleso"]Not to high jack this post or anything, but define the dimensions of "face cord". A cord is a cord is: 4'X4'X8'=128 cubic feet=a whole s@#tpot of split firewood. If one bought three stacks of 16" oak firewood that were 4' high X 8' long, that would be a full cord, and bought that for $110, you made out like a bandit, even if it is so green it is still dripping sap.

It was cut last fall and piled in his yard over winter. You guys just keep making me smile. and yes it was $110 for 3 face or 1 full cord and a generous one at that.
upinmaine

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter what kind of oak you use? I got a bunch of red oak cutoffs from a cabinet shop. I think people usually use white oak though.
Remmy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both red and white oak. I haven't noticed a difference in flavor.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upinmaine wrote:
Does it matter what kind of oak you use? I got a bunch of red oak cutoffs from a cabinet shop. I think people usually use white oak though.

Those will work as long as they havent been treated with anything. Cool
charleso
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is one awesome deal, I not only go through a lot(2-3 full cords), but also sell some during the winter to supplement my income. Ain't no way on God's green earth I would let that much oak go for less than twice that.

BTW, WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED??? I SURE WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP HIM CUT DOWN HIS FORESTRY MGMT TREES Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Something that bothers me Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:
I've never seen this addressed but it bothers me. Oak is one of my favorite woods to cook with. Why is it you don't even see oak chips or chunks? It's not really a big deal to me as I'm back to splits and cut my own chucks for my bullet. But, why is this???

I mean, obviously there are specialty places. But I just don't get it. One of the most common and best woods and you can't find it.

My grocery stores carry Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Apple and they also carry a blend of Cherry/Apple/Sassafras

Sorry, just been pondering. Laughing

I think it might be a geographic thing. My grocery store has both chips and chunks of oak. The apple and cherry are a little harder to come by. They only have them some times, and only chips.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada I can only find Chips and Chunks of oak at my local BBQ shop,I did however knock a small oak down with the dozer last year. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen oak chips or chunks outside of a small grocery store in the middle of no where in the northern part of the state. They also has some other odd woods that were cut and bagged locally.

I use red oak for pretty much all of my cooks these days. Occasionally I will use hickory or apple.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
samson
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen oak around here (Chicago area). Mostly hickory and mesquite chunks and apple and cherry chips. I buy my oak at the local nurserys in the fall. Just a couple bundles of splits so I use it sparingly. If I could get more I would use it more often...I'm still feeding my cooker apple from the tree we chopped down last year Wink
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samson wrote:
I have never seen oak around here (Chicago area). Mostly hickory and mesquite chunks and apple and cherry chips. I buy my oak at the local nurserys in the fall. Just a couple bundles of splits so I use it sparingly. If I could get more I would use it more often...I'm still feeding my cooker apple from the tree we chopped down last year Wink

Craigslist. Just look for firewood. I just did a quick search in chicago and looks like you can get a cord of oak for $125...Pretty high since I just paid $70 yesterday but then again, I can't get a cord of cherry here for $100
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:
samson wrote:

Craigslist. Just look for firewood. I just did a quick search in chicago and looks like you can get a cord of oak for $125...Pretty high since I just paid $70 yesterday but then again, I can't get a cord of cherry here for $100

$70 for a cord of oak, chit i gotta check into shipping charges.

Oak around here goes for $200 or more. In Southern OR where there is a lot of logging and a lot of homes that burn wood for heating you can get a cord for $150. Enjoy those prices!

Im going to go out to Hood River this afternoon and hit the orchards and see if anyone has some wood for me. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: