FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bourbon Soaked Smoked Chuck Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethernectar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28 09 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a test run at a chuckroast tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration! Will post up pics too.
ethernectar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29 09 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasty!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethernectar/3669853109
GrueLurks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 09 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding this to my dinner list for the weekend, those look awesome!
Que-West
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12 09 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this this afternoon with a 5lb beef eye of round that I starting marinating last night in the smokehouse/bourbon mix. Smoked with hickory, took to 140, pulled, wrapped, rested for about 20 minutes. I have to say, it was awesome! Thank you for the recipe!

Edited for show, not quite the same without it!

Went here first:
[/img]

On the smoker:
[/img]

Pulled, rested!
[/img]

Sliced:
[/img]
kellylizjones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05 09 8:50 am    Post subject: almost perfect Reply with quote

I have been using this recipe for over a year now,, last time I skipped the marinading process and just poked knife holes in the all about the roast, and poured and rubbed it in really good both sides,{the marinade },I was concerned the knife holes would allow the fat and juices to escape ,,but I had to "skip" one step cuz i was pressed for time,, As I smoked I did "mop" with the same mix recomneded for marinade,, HEAVILY,, flipping every 20 minutes and re mopping,, I usually do these at a higher temp,, but wanted to relax abit and drink some beers, and company wasn't due for awhile,,so 170-180 the entire smoke,,,,4 steaks ,,2" thick {not sure the wieght of each}.. Kingsford charcoals and Mesquite woodchunks,,lots of Straub's{bet you never heard of that down in Texas},,,I got the internals up to 150 or so,, cut a center,, and YES it was just like a medium rare steak,,..let it rest,, sliced against the grain,, and served,,, was TRUELLY THE BEST YET! I would say perfect,,,,every one agreed,,I dare say better than the briskets I usually do,, I ALWAYS use the same butcher,, and I ALWAYS CALL them 7 steaks,, seems they get confused between chuck roast and chuck steak,,???is this an ENGLISH chuck roast,,,or steak?,,,,

PS{I'm guessin the whole thing took three and a half hours,,,
Florida Pete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06 09 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien,
Used your recipe, now a family favorite. Very good!
Thanks for sharing,
pete
davidcara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08 09 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien, Have you ever tried this on tri-tip. I'm thinking I might try it...
Savannahsmoker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29 09 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man do they look good. I am thinking as long as one has the bourdon out and why not a bourdon soak guy also.
Rob129

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07 09 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help with this recipe Alien. I used it with two 7 pound Sirloin Roasts with a nice fat cap for T-Day.......WHOAH! This was phenomenal! I used Pecan (was in Roswell) as you suggested.

Since Pecan is hard to impossible up here in Tacoma, I am temped to try Hickory to see how it comes out. Hickory, Alder and Mesquite is easy to find up here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/engineguy129/DSC00579-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/engineguy129/DSC00581.jpg
Jonesy

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one in the smoker right now. I did these quite often last year. The family fell in love with this recipe. First one of the year. Thanks for the recipe Alien!
Jonesy

PostPosted: Mon May 03 10 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinner time!!!
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/Bamther/smokeddinner1002.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/Bamther/smokeddinner1003.jpg

I knew this wouldnt be enough for the four of us, so I smoked some sausage as well.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/Bamther/smokeddinner1001.jpg

All in all, the family loved it again. It was great!
cobol sam

PostPosted: Sat May 21 11 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien BBQ wrote:
BBQ-DAWG wrote:
Hey guys im gonna try this but i do have one question.Why 150 degrees?Isnt a chuck close to a pork butt?Im still a rookie but i just thought you would cook these to a higher temp to break it down more.

Yes and no, if you have a really fatty piece of meat then the longer cook is in order or trim the excess fat. However, the longer you cook the beef, the more "roast like" flavor you will get. Cooking to 150 will give you a more "steak like" flavor especially if you trim the excess fat or (and this takes practice) sear it at the last moment to crisp up the outside fat. I like to choose a thick marbled piece without a lot of excess fat. I cook it to 125 and then sear it to 145ish.

Bumping this to ask for more details about Searing the chuck roast. I've only ever done pork butt, so I can use all the help I can get!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21 11 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
eddieq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this today. I used a leaner roast and didn't have access to the rub mix, but I used a 1/2 tbs of the McCormick Grill Mates sweet and spicy rub and 1/2 tbs of the McCormick Mesquite dry mix (the "premium" green jar stuff). I had Old Grandad (the 86 proof stuff) for the bourbon. It came out great. The crust/glaze was out of this world.

I stuck a half a dozen potatoes coated in EVOO and Grill Mates Chicago Steakhouse blend, wrapped in foil in there for most of the time, too, so it was meat and potatoes night at the q household.

SteevieG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06 11 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious if anyone ever tried to make this as a pulled beef?

I can't imagine it would be anything but delicious and I'd just have to take it to a higher internal like pulled pork.

Anybody see a reason it wouldn't work?
flyingsushi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12 12 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. Very nice. My Mom loved it and my 5yr old daughter who doesn't eat steak loved it! I can't wait to make it for others now.

Thanks!
Sushi
daluqfam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28 17 10:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Recipe! Reply with quote

Alien, we're from the "cajun country" so our meat bbq'ing taste and profile are unique to us... but that said, I took your recipe and smoked a prime usda 10lbr for 5.25hrs and served it to my 15member, extended cajun family. It was met with rave reviews. All thumbs up! and added to the family's "To Repeat List".

PS: We varied on the KC Mstrpc Stkhs Marinade and made our own without the HFCSyrup and preservatives in it. Came out delish... the 10oz of Jim Beam didn't hurt Smile Thanks, again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: