FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions on welding up a BBQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, a 7014 1/8'' is a pretty big rod for 1''x 1'' x 1/8'' angle. That is a lot of flux to disperse in a corner. I would drop to a 3/32'' You can also try a 3/32'' 6013 they are a shallow dig rod that puts down a nice finish, it does require more rod manipulation than a 7014 but not a hard whip like a 6011.
Also when I tack my pieces together I tack the two extreme outside corners ( The vertical and the horizontal) from there I weld to the inside corner so I do not have a cold start in the corner. Tacking at these points also ensures that the pieces cannot roll on me. I hope this helps.

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more work done today! Finished mounting the front rack so here are some pics.

Here is the rear view

Side view

Where the front shelf attaches after the welds were ground off

Front view

Tomorrow, time permitting I am going to try and get the bottom shelf put in.

Then on Monday I will hopefully get the expanded metal cut and welded in. Then I can start working on the 2 pillars to hold the grate so it can go up and down.

Thx for the suggestion k.a.m.! I ended up picking up some 7018 that was 3/32 and used that for the inside corners and it worked pretty well. Ended up getting that because my blade broke on my saw when I was working yesterday and when I went to the store the guy checked the price on the 7018 and it was only 2.50 for a 5lb box so i said what why not! HAHA

Garrett
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner wrote:

I have a question for you... I only have an 220A AC stick welder, what rods do you use for this sort of stuff? Right now I am using 7014 1/8" but i am wondering if i could get some better results with a 3/32" rod. Biggest problem I am having is when I try to do the inner corners where the 2 pieces of angle come together I have a hard time getting the weld puddle to stick on all 3 faces (the 2 uprights at the 90 and the flat piece under them) Any suggestions? Is this because I am using the larger rod, should I try and weave the rod a little? I have only been stick welding for about a month or 2 now so I am trying to learn all that I can.

You forgot the magic words....AC. The AC machine is not exactly the best friend of a 7018 due to its nature. The arc can get erratic and that could well be a part of your 3 face pool problem. But I have found that purchasing the 7018 "AC" nomenclature rods turned things around night and day. It is what it is, an AC machine but controllable with these. Quick starts too. Very little recess of the electrode as compared to the non AC rods so it makes using them for tacking much easier. Extra iron powder in the flux is what I was told. BTW...My comments only refer to the Lincoln rods. I bought an off brand recently and they were not happy day makers. The 60 series don't seem to care what machine you are running
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, that is some nice work right there. Very Happy Your frame work is coming along nicely. I will be watching for more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13 10 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up some 7018AC rods this afternoon and as you said, the difference is night and day! Wow these are way easier to use and much easier to get started. When I ran my test beads I noticed a lot of porosity at the start of the weld so i just sat in the puddle longer at the start with a couple of wiggles and it solved that problem.

Not really a smoker related post but I picked up some 6011 rods to check them out, and was pretty impressed with the penetration and how these bad boys burned through everything (although the appearance leaves a little to be desired). I got them because I am welding up a frame for a friend to hold some rolls of paper (~2,000lbs) per roll. Thinking I will use the 6011 for the root pass and then cover it up with either 7014 or 7018. I am using 3x3x1/4 square tubing for the build.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13 10 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad they are working for you. Far from being an expert at any of this, I just know what I know as seen from the perspective of been there done that in the last year or so. Where to get decent steel or pipe, what a hammer doesn't work well on, etc. The 6011 is a great rod if you were refering to an existing frame with less than perfect conditions. Very good penetration and all positions. It does require a whip in and out of the weld pool technique for a good weld however. If the steel is new, I see no reason not to use the 7018, it is a deep penetrator too and it doesn't require learning a new technique. I do know that my machine or me or both make a lot nicer vertical weld with the 6011. I really hate vertical and will flip whatever I am working on when possible for trade of a horizontal, flat, even overhead weld. My $.02 worth as seen thru the eyes of non hired hand welder, get er done guy. The bad boys will be along shortly I assume to set the record straight for any BS I may have stated I.E. k.a.m, seattlepitboss, just to name a few, many others.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29 10 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So finally after work slowing down a bit I got a chance to work in the BBQ.

I only have 1 pic taken with my camera phone, but I will try and remember to bring my real camera tomorrow to get some new pics as she is should be finished up.

Since my last update I have:

Made the grill and welded on the expanded metal
Made the C-channel support for raising and lowering the grill
Pieced out the harbor freight comealong, and tapped holes for remounting it to the uprights
drilled the holes for the 1/2" pipe to raise and lower the grill
welded on the cog and the hand wheel onto the pipe.

Here is a pic of the dissasembeled grill in the paint booth at work... so instead of working today I just went to town on the BBQ

Still left to do is cut the pipe to size, fab up the lower shelf and add a stop on the pipe so there is little linear travel. Should have it all finished up tomorrow so more pics to come.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29 10 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, your cooker frame lokos great. Very Happy I look forward to more pics and progress.
You can run your first pass with the 6011 on the tubing, what I would do is take down the 6011 pass with a grinder to smooth out the root then cap off with the 7018.

Hybrid Cooker
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got her almost totally wrapped up today. Only thing left to do is make the rack for inside the drum that the wood will sit on.

Here are the pics:

The rack lifted and locked in place

Full shot:

How the grill is attached to the wire and how the frame that stedies the grate so it doesnt move. I used 6" of large unistrut and then persuaded it with the hammer until it fit very well in the C channel. Then I used a piece of angle iron the attach that to the grill top.

A close up:

The cog and hand wheel installed. It works really well. This was all pieced out from a harbor freight come along. I drilled out the cog to fit over the 1/2" pipe and then tapped the channel so that I could bolt the assembly in.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner, I love it. Very Happy That is an awesome looking grill and you did some fine work on her. I will be watching for the first cook. Very nice work indeed. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ryan cassidy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... Awesome Grill! Great Job!
BLACK ANGUS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30 10 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking grill. Real guality work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: