FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a large cherry tree, how long to cure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevinoman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16 10 11:38 am    Post subject: Found a large cherry tree, how long to cure? Reply with quote

Hey folks, found a large cherry tree, I would say about 30 ft tall, with the main trunk(s) about 10 to 12 inches in diameter. Going to cut it, and need to know how long to cure the larger pieces, and what else is truly usable. Thanks for all of your help, love this forum!!
Weber Silver B gas grill

Dreaming of a Lang.....
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16 10 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you storing outside or inside? What size pieces are you planning to cut the tree into? If it were my tree I would cut it into 16" lengths. Any pieces 10"+ I would quarter and then halve the quarters, 6"-8" in quarters and 4" in half. Stack it so the air can circulate thru the stack. If you store it outside keep a tarp handy to cover it on rainy days. 6-8 months drying time is pretty standard, but if you get dry(not humid) breezy weather you might be able to use it in 4 or 5.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long a fresh cut tree take to dry depends on several different things. Mainly the ambient temperature and relative humidity where you live.
12 months is typical with most woods in most parts of the country besides Oak varities, Oak take near 36 months to be usable in many cases.

There are several things that will help it dry faster
thinner splits, good airflow, direct sun, low humidity, increased temperatures.

And one other thing that really helps dry out wood faster, When you drop the tree, keep the branches and leaves on the tree for a week after dropping it. The capilary action of the leaves helps remove quite a bit of water from te trunk. When the leaves dry up, chunk it up and split it for aging.

Many people say to use wrist sized split, well I think it depends on what your cooker burns the best.
thevinoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's some really great advice guys....thanks so much.
Weber Silver B gas grill

Dreaming of a Lang.....
jujuboy77
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21 10 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a cherry about that size year before last i cut it down and split the same day i split it small (about wrist size by 12") i cooked with it about 6 months later with out the typical "green wood" signs such as whistling poping and boil ups on the ends of the wood when fired. i live in oklahoma so the summer temps are about 80+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: