FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COPE cut

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 7:29 pm    Post subject: COPE cut Reply with quote

Without hijacking another thread, I need some assistance here. I encounter many situations where a framework is needed and I have yet to find the perfect method. Reading an earlier post, I came across a "cope" cut. I may already be doing that but the definition escaped me. A web search revealed some very vague descriptions on how to cope some molding but since I am not adding molding to a cooker, I could not relate. I am guessing it concerns finding my angle and cutting both adjoining pieces at once? Add to this...Any tips in keeping twist out of my framework? I have tried clamping the frame to be welded to a level surface with some success but never perfect. Adding steel plate to the frame resolves this often but I am getting zero help from the expanded metal. BTW...the framework I am refering to is fab'd using angle.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, here is a pic of angle iron that is coped. I tack the two extreme outside corners all the way
around before I weld out. This will greatly reduce your twist.

Hybrid Cooker
ryan cassidy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be what you are referencing. It's what I do with Angle stock.

This is a picture from the top down. I do this as my metal chop saw doesn't do the best 45 degree cuts. Actually most chop saws don't. So I just cope it this way.

As for welding it. I weld the vertical of each corner first and go all the way around the box. This gives me the opportunity to encourage it to square if it slipped or moved during welding. Once square, I tack the tops of each corner, then I weld the bottoms, then I go back, weld the tops and then the inside corners, then grind smooth.

Not sure if that helps you or if its even right at all, but it at least my process.

Ryan
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good so far. Without knowing it, that is the exact method of cut I have been using. But still a bit no comprende' on which are the extreme corners you were refering to for the twist. So, apologies for being a stickler for details here, but I have to nip this in the bud. Too many well planned frames have needed tweaking, some do, some don't and i haven't been able to put rhyme or reason as to which is which or why but I have not paid much attn. to where I have placed my tack either.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, if you are looking down on the frame I tack the inside horizontal corner first, then the top vertical corner. This ensures that the end cannot twist. We all know that during the weld process on light material strange things do happen. I went to 1'' x 1'' x 1/4'' frame on the R/F build and had zero issues with frame twist or warpage. Some might say over kill but I will use it from now on. I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Wreckless, if you are looking down on the frame I tack the inside horizontal corner first, then the top vertical corner. This ensures that the end cannot twist. We all know that during the weld process on light material strange things do happen. I went to 1'' x 1'' x 1/4'' frame on the R/F build and had zero issues with frame twist or warpage. Some might say over kill but I will use it from now on. I hope this helps. Smile

Ok, once more. Can I assume that is flat side down? Reverse of the illustration you provided? Restrained? And yeah, my recent 3/16" frame came out much better than the previous 1/8" thk have. I was guessing it was related but again, I have never been completely sure why some work and other cause me grief. Grief sucks, I've got better things to do. LOL
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, yes flat side down. And I always clamp my width to the table so I can square my length before tacking.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09 10 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, k.a.m.
Big thanks for the rapid and thorough response! Add putting off until Tomorrow what I want to do today a major flaw in my make up. Waiting on Santa was never pretty. Consider this bud nipped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: