FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

catering pricing rib's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpbbq

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 05 12:20 pm    Post subject: catering pricing rib's Reply with quote

how much should i charge for rib's??? i just received my new lang 84 and i plan to start catering this summer...

Thanks,

DRPBBQ
bdcbbq

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 05 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: catering pricing rib's Reply with quote

drpbbq wrote:
how much should i charge for rib's??? i just received my new lang 84 and i plan to start catering this summer...

Thanks,

DRPBBQ

I would call around to some local places that cater and ask them for a quote. Make sure you hit the most popular place for ribs in town. I would charge at least the highest price of anyone else in town, probably a buck or more per slab. I would also suggest setting a minimum charge and collect %50 for a deposit.

If you are doing sides like potato salad, coles slaw, etc, then you might charge per plate.

You don't want to be the cheapest place in town, err on the high side when quoting a price, particularly in the beginning. Its easier to lower prices if needed than raise them.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 05 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The going price here (Florida) is aroung $18.00 a slab for St.loius style ribs! Very Happy
pARTYCOOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 05 1:13 am    Post subject: IN RESPONSE Reply with quote

BBQ Dan put it best when he said ask for 50% up-front. Most people expect that anyway so don't hesitate to ask. I find that about 50% of my total cost is about how much I spend so it should cover you if something was to happen.

Rib prices are tricky for me. You have Baby racks, (expensive) spare, country style, and so on in my area. People around me are familiar with Country Style and if you can cook them well then they are great, (I prefer them myself personally) and they are much cheaper. The Baby racks are another monster all-together. Say for a party of 50 family members let's just say 8 or 9 guys may zero in on those baby backs and forego everything else and eat 3 pounds or more a piece consuming most if not all of your ribs. I always recomend to the clients to cut them and serve them seperatley as a compliment to the BBQ plate rather than a plate of ribs all alone. You don't want pissy people upset because all the ribs are gone. And every decent size party is gonna have what I call grazers. People who eat, then eat, then eat, and then ask if you could wrap up more for them to take home. It's one thing to be complimented but it's another when it becomes sickening.

But like BBQ Dan says also, check with another competitor's price to gage your own, and that should really help.

Party-on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: