FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to be legal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastcat
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 7:35 am    Post subject: how to be legal Reply with quote

i am thinking about setting up at some corner to sell bbq, chicken, what ever maybe even a little catering. what do i do to become legal. i probably need insurance what else do i have to do. i live in charlotte nc
PorkQPine
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set up to sell to the general public you have to become a caterer and get licensed in the city, the county HD and the state tax collectors since you are in essence a restaurant. HD rules will bury you if you don't study them carefully before you begin. Call HD and sit down with them before you do anything. What looks simple is really complicated and expensive if you are legit. Most guys go the private chef route so you might check the rules where you live for that. Each county and state has different rules.
fastcat
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone from this area have any input.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being legal is the easy part, being profitable is what really matters.

You need to look at the rules set forth by your state and county regulatory agencies. You are serving to the public, and anyone selling RTE foods to the general public needs to be regulated to make sure that you do not sicken people.

Think of it this way, you would probably have less governmental red-tape to wrangle if you wanted to build your own airplane and fly it around without passengers.
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you talk to health dept. I just got shot down on my road side vending today due to the rule that if you provide seating, inside or outside, you now must provide restrooms. Some places whcidh had been doing it for 40 years hand to pull pick-nick tables. Dairy Bars etc. I can do take out just no seats or pick-nick tables.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules vary quite a bit, but are becoming more uniform all the time.

Same thing here Jim- once you add seats it's a whole nother ball game!

In fact, for a raunt (a bit off topic but interesting none the less) once you have more than 10 seats now you need two bathrooms not just one unisex.

Then comes ADA requirements........................

That is a city code, not HD mandated.

Anywho, you will not be just "setting up on a corner" selling BBQ most anywhere. It's not as simple (unfortunately) as a Kool-Aid stand or Girl Scout Cookie vending operation.

You may want to check in with Alex Ranucchi. He operates out of the Charlotte area and would be most helpful I'm sure to help you get up and running.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1504

I remember seeing a BBQ guy on food network that travels your area, and sets up in downtown Charlotte a few days a week.

You may get there early and check out what he is doing.

You may (or may not) get any help from someone that views you as potential competition.

But at least you can take a look at what it takes to legally sell roadside.

I've tried it here, and not had a bunch of success with it.

I'd rather be a caterer that occasionally vends than be a vendor that occasionally caterers.

Just my two pennies worth.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass BBQ wrote:
Make sure you talk to health dept. I just got shot down on my road side vending today due to the rule that if you provide seating, inside or outside, you now must provide restrooms. Some places whcidh had been doing it for 40 years hand to pull pick-nick tables. Dairy Bars etc. I can do take out just no seats or pick-nick tables.

Not to hijack a tread,,,,but do you think having picnic tables would draw that much more business? I'm looking for a roadside spot for this upcoming Fall-Spring and I think for me they would be more trouble and cost then they would be of value. ??? Open to ideas though.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all of the roadside places around here have picnic tables set out.

One even has a metal carport cover set up over some tables that stays in place 24/7 but he does remove his truck (taco truck) at the end of each day.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:

One even has a metal carport cover set up over some tables that stays in place 24/7 but he does remove his truck (taco truck) at the end of each day.

Yeah everything depends on where your at I guess. Like around here most of the Mom an Pop BBQ places just have an offset sitting out front, an I know a lot of places thats a no-no.... An the reason this isn't hyjacking a tread is the moral to the story.. Always check with your local HD before you make a move on anything!!
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridge View BBQ wrote:
Geronimo wrote:

Yeah everything depends on where your at I guess. Like around here most of the Mom an Pop BBQ places just have an offset sitting out front, an I know a lot of places thats a no-no.... An the reason this isn't hyjacking a tread is the moral to the story.. Always check with your local HD before you make a move on anything!!

Yupp, I think I've mentioned that a time or two myself Jim! Wink Razz

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34605&highlight=check++first
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what the main answer from everyone is It can be done, but you can't be legal by the weekend.And it takes a little bit more time and a whole lot more money than setting up for a yard sale.
Step one: is do you have the equipment or the cash for the equipment?It takes more than just putting your UDS or Weber out on the corner.

Step two:Before you buy any equipment is talk to the HD and zoning,and business licence.They all have their hand out.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Andy Reese
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

`Hey Fastcat I have checked with the HD people and according to them you will need a fully self contained mobile commercial kitchen OR a restaurant to prepare the food and then truck it out with warmers They dont give much wiggle room on that and also I might add ,it cuts way down on quality You can PM me if you want and I can talkmore if you want
A&A BBQ
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluegrass BBQ wrote:

Could you not employ one of those rented porta pottie's Question
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Reese wrote:
`Hey Fastcat I have checked with the HD people and according to them you will need a fully self contained mobile commercial kitchen OR a restaurant to prepare the food and then truck it out with warmers They dont give much wiggle room on that and also I might add ,it cuts way down on quality You can PM me if you want and I can talkmore if you want

Thanks for picking up on this one Andy, I totally forgot you were in NC yourself! Embarassed

Funny thing on recommendations, one size don't fit all..............................

There are some counties in California that don't allow ANY kind of mobile vending, then one county over it's OK! Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad

We are somewhat lucky here- the rules have been standardized state-wide.

As usual, YMMV really fits this one.
Andy Reese
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea That being said Mike, there are a lot of people flying under the radar here They are really strict on the regs here especially enforcement of those regs
A&A BBQ
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda on this theme I was thinking of doing some vending this year in MN.I was reading there regs.and the smoker has to be NSF.Are the store bought ones NSF like old hick,etc?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
Kinda on this theme I was thinking of doing some vending this year in MN.I was reading there regs.and the smoker has to be NSF.Are the store bought ones NSF like old hick,etc?

Most vending type of set-ups that I have ever seen (and I look hard) from out of town are anything from crappy old oil drums to OH and SP units (and yes, those units are NSF rated).

Vending and catering/raunt use are very different animals (at least for us).

The NSF rating isn't required for commercial use unless you are selling wholesale to another operation (2nd party) or mail order shipping food (then you answer to the feds, not local HD).

I'd take another look at those vending rules.

I highly doubt that festivals around the country are now dictating NSF equipment rating.

YMMV of course
rgwiazdzinski
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in mount holly, a small neighbor to charlotte and i have been trying to get set up to cater private parties for more than a year now. the health dept rep has told me the only way to do it legal is to have a brick and mortar restaurant, or a commisarry (such as a HD inspected church kitchen) that i can wash my dishes at before i go out to my next catering job. without that i am dead in the water. but i can rent my cooker to folks and then just happen to be there to watch over my propery while they use it. but i the same note if i want to do a street festival all i have to do is pay the permit fee for the day and follow a few simple rules, 3 sinks or tubs to wash in, seperate sink or tub to wash hands, and a prep area that is netted in or enclosed in a trailer, go figure?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgwiazdzinski wrote:
but i the same note if i want to do a street festival all i have to do is pay the permit fee for the day and follow a few simple rules, 3 sinks or tubs to wash in, seperate sink or tub to wash hands, and a prep area that is netted in or enclosed in a trailer, go figure?

So using that same concept, ask why you could not use that same procedure to cater events.
if it is allowable for festival vending, see of they'll write a variance to become a "Contract Cook" to cater parties.
fastcat
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then why in the hell can those people sit outside at lowes and sell hotdogs all day long with nothing but a grill and some condements and a bunch of coolers.

also what if i cook at my house and people come pick up the food themselves for there party/event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: