FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabela's carries the Yoder Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokin' Cowboys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02 10 7:05 am    Post subject: Cabela's carries the Yoder Smoker Reply with quote

I see Cabela's carries the Yoder Smoker, an offset style I'd like to have initially. My thoughts were to go with a WSM over the cheaper Brinkmann/Char Broil offset. But if I'm going to drop close to $400 for a WSM, I'm considering building a UDS for now, and save a few hundo more and possibly get the Yoder later.

The Yoder site looks pretty nice and I see they're a sponsor here. Does anyone have any experience with the 16" Cheyenne? Good/bad should have went bigger?

SC
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02 10 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a buddy that has a yoder and loves and its way nice he has the 20" durango i think it was a little pricy (around 1800.00) 16" would be a little small for me and mine but i have no idea for who or what you'll be cooking
Smokin' Cowboys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02 10 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the shout! I hate to go the cheap route when making a purchase like a smoker. If it was a just trying it out thing I could make an argument for it. It's just the missus, myself and a few select neighbors Id be smokin' for. The Yoder Cheyenne looks like it'd last a lifetime and if I decided to go bigger someday, would still be a nice addition to the place.

With a 16"x36"x18" chamber, how big of a feed could one plan on?

SC
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02 10 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wise old sage shared this pearl of wisdom not long ago with us

Go bigger given the choice, by spending a little more and buy bigger than you think you'll need, you will discover new friends the first time you fire it up!
LIAR #29
------------------------------
Smokin' Cowboys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02 10 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed my friend! The only thing is, just when I was ready to pull the trigger I'd think to myself, "Just a few more hundies and I could add this option, or that option! Even step up to something nicer!" LOL

My original thought was to go cheap offset for under $200, then I read through the forums. Then I thought, okay, WSM for $400. Then I saw the Yoder at Cabela's and thought, "Hmmmm... Id rather have a nice offset than a WSM and this is a few hundies more so...??"

So now I'm 4x what I originally thought I'd spend! LOL

May still do the USD interim. Thanks for the sage advice, it fits the moment!

SC
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say bite the bullet and spend the money (you cant take it with you when you go) i know they cook good hell and if the old lady dont mind (you can try what i do and tell her it was only 250 bucks when it 1250 bucks)
jwilliamson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05 10 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at All Things BBQ in Wichita, KS. We sell the Yoder products and it is worth taking a look at our website to see our prices and call for a shipping quote. www.atbbq.com is our website. Hope you find the right pit for you!

Also, this is my first post here and I promise they won't all be directing to our site Smile. Just joining in the discussion!
keeper of the plains

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14 10 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in ur situation. I was on a budget, but wanted yoder's "wichita" model smoker...that is a sweet pit! Its a 20''. with 2 cooking racks in chamber High/low. I searched craigslist for a couple of months and found a used 16'' oj. I see horizons and yoders on there sometimes but they go QUICK Usually for 300-450$
Weber Spirit
Weber 22.5
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14 10 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living with 16" smokers for too long now. From now on, every smoker I make/buy/acquire is going to have racks at least 21" deep so I can put racks of ribs front to back.

seattlepitboss
currently building a 24x70" RF horizontal offset on trailer
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14 10 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the classifieds here and other barbeque web sites. Check craigslist, too, if you live in an area with a lot of smokers (i.e., not like me in New England).

Since you are creeping up in what you are willing to spend, you may be surprised what you can get. I bought my smoker for $900 on here a little over a year ago. It would have cost me almost $3,000 new.
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
i say bite the bullet and spend the money (you cant take it with you when you go) i know they cook good hell and if the old lady dont mind (you can try what i do and tell her it was only 250 bucks when it 1250 bucks)

My question is, did she check the bank account?

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15 10 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy most of the expensive stuff through the business but she still gets mad if I donít buy her something of equal value thatís where the amount comes in to play Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: