FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEEEEERRR!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalkid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 7:06 pm    Post subject: BEEEEERRR!!! Reply with quote

Ok well I think the title is self explanatory. First let me explain, I'm from CA...and I don't have BBQ often (only when I decide to cook it). I finally have a chance to cook it, and enjoy some drinks on Super Bowl Sunday so I want to make it worth it. I'm a simple kind of beer drinker (Budlight/ Corona/ Dos Equis/ Tecate/ Modelo) are usually my first picks. My question is, what beer goes best with Q? I haven't seen any threads yet on that question. I'm very lucky to live around the corner from a liquor store that stocks a huge variety of hard to find beers so let me know what you guys think will go best with some P.P sandwhiches!!!
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite beer is "Yours", followed in a close second by "Cold". Laughing

I'm a Guinness man usually, but for bbq(which I like w/ heat and a little sweet) I'd go for Shiner Bock on the domestic side, or Old Speckled Hen for an import.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03 10 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite beer if "Free"

Don't remember the German, but they had a saying "Frei beir ist da best beer"

Oh and I like Chimay Grand Reserve.

Do a search, we had a similar thread and there were some great choices.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04 10 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Cold
2. Yours
3. Mine (Busch)

Any questions? Refer to 1 & 2 above.. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
socalkid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04 10 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
1. Cold
2. Yours
3. Mine (Busch)

LoL looks like I asked the wrong people for advice! I guess I'll go with some coronas.
Haelix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17 10 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 open
2 cold
3 free

I am all about pairing beer with food, there is a great pecan beer made in mississippi, and it goes great with Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20 10 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haelix wrote:
1 open
2 cold
3 free

I am all about pairing beer with food, there is a great pecan beer made in mississippi, and it goes great with Q

There is a great little brewery south of here in Kiln, Mississippi called the Lazy Magnolia Brewery and they brew "Southern Pecan" among others. Southern Pecan is a nut brown ale and is a great beer for Q. The microbrewery trend has just really hit down here over the last few years and we're seeing more restaurants serving up their own brews. Very Happy

Weber Smokey Joe
LIAR#38

Last edited by Bunqui on Sat Nov 06 10 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
loungefly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20 10 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Adams has a nice web page that pairs different foods with various Sam Adams beers. I am a big Sam Adams fan. Last summer, I paired the regular SA Boston Lager with pulled pork that I smoked and SA Black Lager with ribs that I smoked. I thought that they did pair well together. But I'm like the other guys on here - any cold beer will do.

Even if you are not a Sam Adams fan, the web page will give you some ideas. Here is the link. http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/foodandbeer/FoodChoice.aspx.

CharGriller Pro
DPP Fat 50
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21 10 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
1. Cold
2. Yours
3. Mine (Busch)

Yeppers, Jarhead. Busch is the Haus Bier in this household, too. In Atlanta few years ago I ordered a Rolling Rock and my buds accused me of drinking a Fru Fru Beer. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
Soybomb
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread I can't help but reply to. My understanding is that CA is usually pretty good with beer selection. Chico is home to one of the bigest names in craft brewin, Sierra Nevada. There's also Stone among other big names, plus I'm sure no small number from WA and OR. Check out ratebeer.com or beeradvocate.com for further info. I wouldn't say there's any one good beer for Q since there's so many different kinds of Q. I might want a saison with a spatchcooked turkey, an IPA with some buffalo wings, a stout with a chuck roast, or a wit with pulled pork. Its really just hard to go wrong. Try every good beer you can get your hands on. The guys behind craft beers care as much about making an outstanding product as we do with our q.
Raijer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28 10 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, with a few exceptions, I can't express how disappointed I am in this thread so far. Wink Laughing

Seriously, I've never quite understood how so many top-notch championship BBQ cooks, who turn out what is arguably some of the BEST FOOD in the WORLD, can turn around and wash all that hard work, dedication, practice, and passion down with a bottle of swill that some corporate chemical-monger has the gall to call "beer." Rolling Eyes

For comparison, the big corporate breweries are to fine, quality beer as Applebee's or Chili's are to fine, quality pork ribs. These guys care nothing about taste or quality, they're just chemical factories who spend all their money on advertising, rather than, say, brewing quality beer.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm a beer snob. I like excellent, well crafted beer. I like breweries who dedicate themselves to beer the same way that most of the folk on this board dedicate themselves to BBQ. Cool

BTW... Soybomb, excellent suggestions.
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28 10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love beer. Many kinds even, the "lawnmower"beers. They have their place. Not everyone can take the strong flavors and sometimes when in a marathon beer day....."good" beer is too filling. Plus the $$$ just don't always match peoples budget.
This remeinds me I need some darker beer so I can make the beer brined chicken recipe thats a sticky on the chicken page. Great stuff.

These two are awesome beers. Fellow Ringer hifimono brought a six pack of each when he came down and picked up his UDS. The one on the left is made in New Glarus, WI and the other in Milwaukee.

This one is made by the Boulder Brewing Co. They have another one I really like. "Hazed and Infused"

peace
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/
Raijer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29 10 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12TH AV SMOKERS wrote:
I love beer. Many kinds even, the "lawnmower"beers. They have their place. Not everyone can take the strong flavors and sometimes when in a marathon beer day....."good" beer is too filling. Plus the $$$ just don't always match peoples budget.

Tip o' the hat 12th Av., and a toast. I hear you, and while I agree in principle, I still have some questions. First off, good beer comes in all shapes, strengths and flavors. My "marathon beer day" brew of choice is Stone's Levitation Ale, a light and crisp brew, with a subtle hop bite - and only about 4%.

As for the budget concerns, you of course, speak the truth. Still, I can't help but think of Demo Gambill's quote in "Love, Peace, and BBQ" when his customers complained about his prices:

Demo Gambill wrote:
When people complain about my prices, I tell 'em: good food ain't cheap, and cheap food ain't good. You want cheap food, you go down the street to McDonald's.

All I'm saying is, it seems to me that extraordinary, dedicated and passionate measures are taken to produce championship BBQ, in both competition and the backyard. But then, incredibly, many of these same BBQ masters will turn around and ignore these standards when it comes to BEER!! Shocked Laughing

And thanks for the beer recommendations. I'll have to see if I can find them here.
westfirque

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 10:38 am    Post subject: homebrew Reply with quote

a nice brown ale brewed at home I call it dog hair ale. can't seem to keep my dogs out of it. Slghtly hoppy with a nice malt flavor. Oh and shots of tequila. Exclamation
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 18 10 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a craft beer & BBQ pairing I'd say Brooklyn Brown Ale gets my vote. Mexican would be Pacifico Clara. American commercial beer would be Coors Light because it doesn't taste like anything so it does not to interfere with the flavor of the Q. Wink
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 18 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first choice is this swill……………….

My second choice is all of the below.

dfess1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 21 10 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first choice is whatever I have carbonated and cold. Currently it's an Imperial IPA clone, brewed with all Nugget Hops. The ESB I have to rack and then bottle in a few weeks will go very well. Not much hop character, or malt character for that matter, so it won't hide/over power whatever I'm eating.

While I would be considered a beer connoisseur, I'm by no means a beer snob. Every beer has it's place. hell, I consumed a half a case of Corona this weekend. My homebrew friends would laugh, but I wanted something light after sitting in the sun all day. But if I'm going to spend the amount of money a case of Levitation would go for, I might as well buck up a few more and get a case of oaked bastard!

That all said, i made a pulled pork this weekend, using a mop sauce for the first time. I used the Stone "smoked porter" as one of the main ingredients. mighty tasty!
upinmaine

PostPosted: Fri May 21 10 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBR goes with everything.
Harpoon IPA when I'm feelin fancy.
IBMer

PostPosted: Fri May 21 10 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!! What Raijer said! LOL

Just kidding. New Castle is my goto beer on an average day. Both my son and I (mostly my son) make our own beers, so the variety is almost endless. Cool
Harkins

PostPosted: Sat May 29 10 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 cases of Home Brew cold conditioning right now that will be ready for this weekend. Nothing like home made beer while eating home made food out of your home made smoker!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37171&highlight=

When you assume you make a jackass out of yourself. Don't bring me into this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: